ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Are headlights truly not adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 04:47 PM
Cescolar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are headlights truly not adjustable?

I bought a used 2015 ES300H with HID headlights. The right headlight was aiming too low, so I took it to the dealer, who informed me that the headlights are not adjustable. I found it hard to believe so I did a little research. I found that there are some wheels that you can rotate with a philips head screw driver. I played with them but no matter how much I turn them in either direction, the headlights don't change. I also tried turning the 9mm screw, no joy.

Was the dealer right or am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-05-19, 05:15 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cescolar
I bought a used 2015 ES300H with HID headlights. The right headlight was aiming too low, so I took it to the dealer, who informed me that the headlights are not adjustable. I found it hard to believe so I did a little research. I found that there are some wheels that you can rotate with a philips head screw driver. I played with them but no matter how much I turn them in either direction, the headlights don't change. I also tried turning the 9mm screw, no joy.

Was the dealer right or am I doing something wrong?
Since the '13 - '15 es350/300h are similar, I can tell you that my HID headlights on my '13 ES 350 are adjustable. I took it to the dealer and they had adjusted it to line up one side with the other. Not sure why the dealer is telling you otherwise.
Old 11-06-19, 05:23 AM
abrown0809
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2015 ES350 with HID headlights and i actually adjusted mine last night. I raised them a little bit and it made a huge difference as they are aimed too low from factory.

Here is a helpful post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...too-low-2.html
Old 11-07-19, 04:21 PM
Cescolar
Driver School Candidate

Default Good to know!

Originally Posted by L3XUSFAN
Since the '13 - '15 es350/300h are similar, I can tell you that my HID headlights on my '13 ES 350 are adjustable. I took it to the dealer and they had adjusted it to line up one side with the other. Not sure why the dealer is telling you otherwise.
The dealer also refused to fix the blind spot monitor under warranty because the car had been in an accident and he said that it needed very delicate adjustment!
Old 11-07-19, 04:40 PM
Cescolar
Driver School Candidate

Default Too few turns?

Originally Posted by abrown0809
I have a 2015 ES350 with HID headlights and i actually adjusted mine last night. I raised them a little bit and it made a huge difference as they are aimed too low from factory.

Here is a helpful post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...too-low-2.html
I had seen that post and I found the adjusting wheel. I turned it but I didn't see any difference. Since the dealer had told me that they could not be adjusted, I quit. Now I will try again, turning it more. I will put a drop of nail polish on the metal wheel to be able to count the turns. I will let you know!
Old 11-07-19, 05:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts

The dealer also refused to fix the blind spot monitor under warranty because the car had been in an accident and he said that it needed very delicate adjustment!
If the collision damage was to areas where one or both of the BSM radar units are located, then you should return your vehicle to the collision repair facility to have the BSM alignment done since it would not be covered under your Lexus warranty. Your situation doesn't seem any different than when we had to have the front PCS/DRCC radar unit on one of our vehicles aligned after a very minor collision - it was done by the collision repair facility.
Old 11-07-19, 08:42 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

If you have auto-levelling headlights the sensor may be damaged and sending a wrong level to the lights so that the mechanical adjustment is maxed out?
Old 11-08-19, 05:47 AM
Cescolar
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately the accident and the repair wer done by the previous owner...
Old 11-08-19, 05:48 AM
Cescolar
Driver School Candidate

How do I know if I have auto-leveling headlights? I bought the car used
Old 11-08-19, 06:24 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

How do I know if I have auto-leveling headlights? I bought the car used
If you have the self leveling headlights, when you have the car facing a wall, garage door, etc., when you turn the headlights on, you will see the beam go up and down for a few seconds as it is setting into a level position.

I'm not certain whether the self-leveling headlights can actually be adjusted. I've been told by the service advisors at two Lexus dealers and one Toyota dealer that they cannot be adjusted. Essentially what they have said is that any attempt to adjust them will result in a change in the starting positioning of the beam, but that, once the leveling process has completed, the beam will end up in the same level position.
Old 11-08-19, 07:48 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

I’m thinking of bent or broken components around the sensing unit in rear suspension. I think there’s a thread here somewhere about a mod to the mount for that sensor.
Old 11-08-19, 01:24 PM
Cescolar
Driver School Candidate

Default I think it is broken

I had seen that post and I found the adjusting wheel. I turned it but I didn't see any difference. Since the dealer had told me that they could not be adjusted, I quit. Now I will try again, turning it more. I will put a drop of nail polish on the metal wheel to be able to count the turns. I will let you know!
I placed a dot of paint on the metal gear and noticed that it seems stuck! I triy to turn it it moves a few degrees but then it jumps back to the initial position. I then tried the same thing on the other one, and that one turns ok!

The strange thing is that the good one has a yelloish nut with a slot, while the bad gear has a black nut (9mm) with no slot.

Mi guess now is that one of them was replaced and something is wrong with the black one... I think that I am giving up, because I am guessing a light assembly is probably close to $1000 and a ***** to replace!
Old 11-08-19, 02:35 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Maybe not...check out some of the recycled parts places.
Old 11-08-19, 04:12 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I placed a dot of paint on the metal gear and noticed that it seems stuck! I triy to turn it it moves a few degrees but then it jumps back to the initial position. I then tried the same thing on the other one, and that one turns ok!

The strange thing is that the good one has a yelloish nut with a slot, while the bad gear has a black nut (9mm) with no slot.

Mi guess now is that one of them was replaced and something is wrong with the black one... I think that I am giving up, because I am guessing a light assembly is probably close to $1000 and a ***** to replace!
I'm wondering if there is a chance that, when the collision repair work was done, the shop might have used the wrong headlight system parts on the side that required repair. It could be that you have parts for the self-leveling headlights on one side and parts for the non-self-leveling headlights on the other side.
Old 11-08-19, 06:24 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can get techstream from ebay. There is a test that can check the auto leveling system of the headlights. You can move them up or down with a computer. I'd check that.