ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus ES Clear Bra / Pain Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 11:06 AM
Kwara4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ES Clear Bra / Pain Protection

I am looking to install Clear Bro paint protection film (pre cut) on my 2015 Lexus ES 350

Can you guys recommend me what brand should I go with and where to order it from if I am doing installation myself?

Appreciate everyone’s input
Old 12-08-19, 11:22 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

I would recommend getting as much coverage as you can. At a minimum, I would cover the full front bumper, full front fenders, full hood, and the mirrors. With any less coverage, you are leaving large areas vulnerable to rock chips and other damage.

I don't know whether you have any experience installing paint protection film, but, especially with larger pieces, like the full hood, full fenders, and bumper, doing a good job is not easy, and I would recommend getting a professional to do the installation. Otherwise, you risk having dust particles trapped under the film, having air pockets under the film, etc.

As far as products are concerned, paint protection film has come a long way over the years. Now, various manufacturers, including 3M and Xpel, maike quality film that is resistant to yellowing, peeling, etc. and that are even self-healing when there is minor damage to the film. Note, though, that the various manufacturers have multiple grades of film. With their better grades, the warranties against fading, peeling, and other product failures extend to a longer period of time.
Old 12-08-19, 12:12 PM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Front bumper, side mirrors, headlights and forward most part of hood and fenders need the most protection from rocks and bugs. Door edges and rear bumper sill are often recommended for protecting against damage that you or a passenger might do. Doing full panels instead of partial certainly looks better. Some films can be cut oversized and wrapped around the edges of panels to help hide the film visibility.

I have whatever the latest xpel is on mine. Looks very good. Only had it a bit over a month, so can't comment on durability. My hood and fenders only have the partial. Doesn't look bad if you do a good job keeping the car clean. Kind of wish I paid for the full hood and fenders.

Kind of a side piece of advice that probably doesn't apply to your situation. If buying a car and the paint is perfect as if it was new or was painted during a dealer reconditioning, I'd do a full wrap on all the panels most prone to rock and bug damage before driving the car at highway speeds. One short trip can quickly ruin the paint. I strongly regret not putting some kind of temporary wrap of masking tape or something on the front of my car when I drove it a few hours home from the dealer that I bought it from.
Old 12-08-19, 01:32 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

When I got my (used) 2014, it had film protection on the front 18" of hood and top corners of the front fenders down to wheel openings, side mirrors and mirror pedestals, all door handle pockets, trailing edge and bottom rear corner of rear doors, A-pillars, and first 6" of the roof. Since then I have had film added to the headlights and the entire front bumper piece up to the hood opening, down to and including the "lip" and back to the front wheel openings. The cost was reasonable ($300 US equivalent). I'm sure I could never have done as good a job. I can't say as what the brand of film is but there was one original piece that had suffered a pretty good rock hit and the film was gouged when I bought the car...I had that piece replaced when the bumper was done and you'd never know there had been a rock hit now...the original film did its job. I'd certainly recommend the film protection.

Last edited by Tootsall; 12-08-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 06:20 PM
Kwara4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CF01
Front bumper, side mirrors, headlights and forward most part of hood and fenders need the most protection from rocks and bugs. Door edges and rear bumper sill are often recommended for protecting against damage that you or a passenger might do. Doing full panels instead of partial certainly looks better. Some films can be cut oversized and wrapped around the edges of panels to help hide the film visibility.

I have whatever the latest xpel is on mine. Looks very good. Only had it a bit over a month, so can't comment on durability. My hood and fenders only have the partial. Doesn't look bad if you do a good job keeping the car clean. Kind of wish I paid for the full hood and fenders.

Kind of a side piece of advice that probably doesn't apply to your situation. If buying a car and the paint is perfect as if it was new or was painted during a dealer reconditioning, I'd do a full wrap on all the panels most prone to rock and bug damage before driving the car at highway speeds. One short trip can quickly ruin the paint. I strongly regret not putting some kind of temporary wrap of masking tape or something on the front of my car when I drove it a few hours home from the dealer that I bought it from.
I bought mine used $17k miles already
it does have paint protection on side door lower panels and under door handle that doesn’t seem like a great quality as it has yellowed over time. I am looking for great brand that I can rely and trust and dealer that perhaps ships it
Old 12-08-19, 06:37 PM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt the newer stuff from 3M or Xpel would yellow in such a short time. I think they both have 10 year warranties when applied by a qualified professional. I wouldn't try doing it yourself if you don't have experience.
Old 12-09-19, 04:23 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

My white '14 ES350 which I bought new, is nearly 6 years old and has close to 70k miles now. The miles are 99% interstate highway driving. I did not get any protective film installed at the time of purchase and as a result the front bumper is showing moderate paint damage from road debris (sand, small rocks, etc), Apparently the paint is relatively "soft" and chips easily as this is the first car I've owned to do that. The white bumper does show paint chips plainly as the base material under the paint is black. I would recommend getting the front bumper covered at the least.
Old 12-09-19, 06:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
Apparently the paint is relatively "soft" and chips easily as this is the first car I've owned to do that. The white bumper does show paint chips plainly.
Regardless of whether the paint is "softer", I think that there is another factor that leads to more paint chipping on the front bumper of the ES (and other modern cars). The combination of more painted surface area on the front of the car and the way that that lower lip on the front bumper catches more stones and other debris results in leaving the front surfaces of the car more vulnerable to paint damage than would have been the case a number of years ago.
Old 12-12-19, 05:48 AM
camfused
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed mine myself on my 2017 ES. 1/2 hood, mirrors, fender pieces, and bumper. So, it IS DOABLE yourself, but it is somewhat frustrating to put on. In the end, I believe it was worth it. In fact, i've done all 3 of our cars, and had tinting put on ALL glass surfaces (by a pro). The tinting is required for me due to my susceptibility to skin cancer.

I plan on selling my ES next year. Opinion: should I remove the PPF before I sell it, or is it an asset that buyers want? I'll likely be selling it to CarMax or similar, not a private party.