ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New Carplay from Beta-Sonic

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 12:33 PM
mirekti
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Carplay from Beta-Sonic

Anyone tired this? Not sure if 12/20 is their first batch or someone already had it installed.
My only concern is the faint pop on turning the vehicle on.

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexusca...stomer-reviews

Here's the installation video:

I wish there are no cables sticking out. Maybe the lightning cable can be routed to the arm rest box.
The following users liked this post:
AbeFromann (12-19-19)
Old 12-16-19, 04:40 PM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered one during the sale a couple weeks ago. Probably won't be able to install for at least a few more weeks. I plan to route to the usb plugs in the center console. I might also try out one of the Navihua replacement displays to see how the experience compares.
Old 12-16-19, 05:42 PM
mirekti
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CF01
I plan to route to the usb plugs in the center console.
Please share the outcome. I wonder how you’ll make the cable go in the center, arm rest box.

I will wait till spring for sure. Kind of afraid to work with plastic in the cold, fear it can break easier.

Old 12-16-19, 05:54 PM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also wondering how I'll route the usb cable, haha. I have yet to look and see if there are any good videos or instructions online. I've found instructions for tearing apart most everything else in the interior.
Old 03-12-20, 05:53 AM
2013ES300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the Beatsonic installed in my '13 ES 300h (w/Nav). Hats off to anyone who did/does this DIY. I had it professionally installed by a well trusted installer for $150. I've had it for less than a day, so this is all first impressions.

Works very well, and it is great to have all my key iPhone apps available through the large (and well shaded) dashboard display in the ES. Overall, works almost as good as if it had been a factory installed Carplay system. I'm glad to no longer have to use my stock Nav system. I've never cared for the too many layered steps of entering addresses (even by voice) and the graphical user interface. Give me Waze/Google Maps anytime. Who knows, even Apple Maps may eventually be worth using.

As for the USB cable you see the installer using in the video. The easiest install is to have the connecting USB port come out from the right side of the console. But the better and cleaner install is to route the cable inside the console and up through the armrest storage. My installer did not charge extra for this, so I am sure it is not that difficult to accomplish. This also kept my stock USB port available for use by the Lexus Infotainment system (I keep a huge library of MP3s on a flash drive).

So far the only shortcoming I've experience is the diminished call quality when I make/take calls through the Beatsonic Carplay system. Despite using the car's microphone and speakers (which deliver a very good handsfree call quality), the calls through the Carplay are not as good. Not awful, it is "ok", but clearly not as good as the stock ES system, even though the Beatsonic is using the same built in car microphone and speakers. Calls are not as clear, as if the treble had been turned all the way down (and no, mine isn't). Kind of like the difference it used to be between a landline call and a cordless phone call back in the day (I know that analogy may not help some of the younger members here ) Call quality returns if I make/take calls NOT using the aftermarket Carplay. My installer did his best to adjust or correct this, but it appears to be a compromise I will have to live with.

Before you decide to DIY this system, you might want to consider what you'll go through to do any system updates to your Beatsonic. Apple updates its iOS fairly often. And while every time the iPhone iOS gets upgraded the Beatsonic will not necessarily have to be upgraded each time, it is likely that some Beatsonic software/firmware will be needed up the road to keep you current (which is a good thing). My installer, who is a Beatsonic authorized installer, has promised me no charge to do any future Beatsonic system updates. Those potential future partial teardowns alone make the price of professional installation worth every penny.