ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Anybody have creaking sounds when turning the steering wheel? or Clockspring issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 09:12 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anybody have creaking sounds when turning the steering wheel? or Clockspring issues?

Did anyone else experience a problem where they hear creaking like sounds when turning the steering wheel?

It started as an intermittent problem that came and went; this continued for years, however now it is permanent.

You also feel a little bit more resistance when you turn the wheel compared to normal.

I read one Lexus thread (another model) that attributed the problem to the clock spring. This thing is costly..

Appreciate if anybody who has had a similar problem share their experiences.

I will be opening this sucker up soon..
Old 01-06-20, 09:27 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

I found another thread with a similar problem: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10699492

So this problem is not unique..
Old 06-21-20, 06:49 PM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings

Wandering if you had the problem solved.

Just bought a used 2013 Es350 from lexus a week ago. so hopefully the dealer will deal with it.

getting a small squeak turning at low speeds.

heres a video that shows the sound. (sounds like a bird)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-21-20, 10:18 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SL10
Greetings

Wandering if you had the problem solved.

Just bought a used 2013 Es350 from lexus a week ago. so hopefully the dealer will deal with it.

getting a small squeak turning at low speeds.

heres a video that shows the sound. (sounds like a bird)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2LyAlUSEKk

Any help would be much appreciated.
I actually haven’t solved my problem. I’ve been living with it and it went away quite a bit. Not quite sure if we have the same problem though it’s possible. Yours sounds a little different.

Is it just the sound or do you feel a little resistance?

Please update this thread if you solve your problem.

Best Regards
Old 06-22-20, 06:31 AM
tstewart77
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Squeaking steering wheel

Not a squeaking but sometimes a clicking noise when turning the wheel more than 90 degrees. No resistance felt though. Haven’t felt like it warrants a trip to the dealer yet though. 2016 ES350 Luxury trim.
Old 06-22-20, 06:58 AM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

I'm going in today to get it serviced so hopefully no cannot replicate.

The steering is tighter then I would expect on an es.

There is also a small click as I pass center both ways.

I will update after the dealership.

Old 06-24-20, 10:06 PM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

So the dealership confirmed clockspring is most likely at fault and is the first step in a potential multistep process.

my electricals are all fine and they said its only the housing that's making the noise.

they wont do anything aside from cover 60% of the service quoted at 1200$.

Plan is to just drive it and hope the sound doesnt get more annoying.

perhaps a airbag light goes on in the near future so i can get them to cover what is now a safety issue.

cheers
Old 06-25-20, 12:10 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

So the dealership confirmed clockspring is most likely at fault and is the first step in a potential multistep process.

my electricals are all fine and they said its only the housing that's making the noise.

they wont do anything aside from cover 60% of the service quoted at 1200$.

Plan is to just drive it and hope the sound doesnt get more annoying.

perhaps a airbag light goes on in the near future so i can get them to cover what is now a safety issue.

cheers
Thats so ridiculous. $1200 for a clock spring 🤣. Crooks! If you go to Discount Parts Monster and put in your Vin number you will get a price for your part for prob 40% less.

So they didn’t open it up to confirm?

Another guy had a squeaky sound too and he said it was something else that was rubbing; not the clock spring.

why didn’t they cover 100%?

When I have time I plan on taking the steering wheel off and checking my clock spring.

I’ll update this if I do.

You can also check on Ebay. I’ve seen clock springs for this car sell for $200 or less. However you have to make sure you get the right version. There are many variations based on the options your car has. You can get the part number from Lexus by giving them your VIN.

But again, if they didn’t open up your steering wheel to confirm it’s the clock spring (which would require removing it), you can’t be sure.

Last edited by norakat; 06-25-20 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 12:06 PM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

The First visit they didn't open up the steering wheel but told me they did and they know its the clock spring housing and not a safety issue.

I spoke to the manager and insisted that if they didnt open it up, how would they be certain what the issue is and therefore how can they be certain its not safety related.

Took the rental an extra day and this time they said they took apart the steering wheel, confirmed the clockspring is most likely the issue but it could be a multi part program (fair, its a noise so it could be many things).

They offer to cover 60% but still is a boat load for this job. im hoping i get an airbag light in the near future so i can try to get them to cover it 100%.

i think its super expensive because lexus sells the sensor with the clockspring, adding 400 dollars to the part price.
Old 06-26-20, 12:45 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

They offer to cover 60% but still is a boat load for this job. im hoping i get an airbag light in the near future so i can try to get them to cover it 100%.
Why do they cover only 60% for that job? You just bought the car! That’s BS! Any problem should be fixed free, I would catch a fit.

I would confront them on the price. I have one of the most expensive clock springs and it’s not that expensive.

why don’t you check the price of your part on here:

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...SAAEgIbo_D_BwE

I would call parts at that dealer and check the price of the part.

Also if they’re using words like “very likely..” they prob didn’t remove the clock spring.

Last edited by norakat; 06-26-20 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-26-20, 09:03 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by norakat
Why do they cover only 60% for that job? You just bought the car! That’s BS! Any problem should be fixed free, I would catch a fit.

I would confront them on the price. I have one of the most expensive clock springs and it’s not that expensive.

why don’t you check the price of your part on here:

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...SAAEgIbo_D_BwE

I would call parts at that dealer and check the price of the part.

Also if they’re using words like “very likely..” they prob didn’t remove the clock spring.
Thank you Noracat. Here is what I found using your link. The below part is for use with a heated steering wheel but the price was the same for without.

Old 06-26-20, 11:11 AM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

Hi

I'm not happy they are not fixing it.

But not enough that I'm going through Lexus or anything. Spend way too much time dealing with this lol.

I did request a report on all things done these the trade of this car so at least I have some proof.

The 1200 is in Canadian so a little less USD.

I think there are parts for 300 bucks but even then it's not worth fixing it. For now I turn up the music and hope for a air bag light.

Old 06-27-20, 07:58 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

For now I turn up the music and hope for a air bag light.
Just out of curiosity, why are you expecting an air bag light? I have never seen one on a car (yet at least), so I was just wondering if there is something happening that would make you anticipate an air bag light. Based on my experience and the only information you have shared here, I can't help but wonder if your expectation of an air bag light is really warranted?
Old 06-27-20, 11:07 AM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

So they diagnosed the sound to be coming from the clock spring.

Inside the clock spring is a ribbon cable that links electricals from the steering wheel to the column.

If the housing is squeaking then obviously there is rubbing. If the wires are getting rubbed and worn, perhaps the connection will be affected and hense an airbag light.

I'm unsure but I think that is the worst/best case scenario.

Old 07-12-20, 02:46 PM
cmy1991zr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i just finally got this resolved this week on my 2015 ES. The dealer replaced the clockspring but that did not fix the noise. They went back into the steering column and lubed the steering shaft boots (whatever those are). That took care of it. No more noise and steering feels much smoother. Total bill was $647. The clock spring was about $450 or so, the rest labor. Fortunately, it was all covered under extended warranty.
The following 3 users liked this post by cmy1991zr1:
jollick (07-12-20), NdYAG (07-12-20), norakat (07-15-20)

Quick Reply: Anybody have creaking sounds when turning the steering wheel? or Clockspring issues?