ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying an ES 350 2013 little advise please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 03:07 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

You've asked a lot of good questions and gotten lots of great answers from experienced people. It sounds like you've already bought this car in your mind. Practically throwing away all the good help you've gotten. This whole broker situation doesn't sound like it's ideal for you and your level of experience. He could just be selling it on behalf of a private party and it's not an auction car. Quite possibly, any discount you get off the asking price comes out of his pocket. Can you tell us what the car should sell for based on any website that rates car prices? Not what carfax says. You should already know what the car's worth in good working condition. It's important that you look it up and not ask us what it's worth. Pictures don't matter, it's what the mechanic you hire says about it's condition. Take it to his shop where he has all the tools to do his job, that front end may just be scratches or serious damage that isn't obvious. I'm afraid you're not in a state of mind to avoid a questionable car deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
NoGo3 (06-08-20), Pharaoh77 (02-25-20)
Old 01-22-20, 03:17 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

This car appears to be a base model. Lexus base models are well equipped but there's nothing about Mark Levinson stereo or any other extras that indicate this car is "loaded". Every Lexus you look at will be equipped like this or better. Have ever test driven a 2013 Lexus ES or is this your first time?
Old 01-22-20, 03:42 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Have you spoken to a mechanic about inspecting the cars? How much is he charging? Do you know what sales tax , tag and title will cost you ahead of time? Some dealers try to add-on fake fees to make additional profit.
Old 01-22-20, 03:47 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
This car appears to be a base model.
That is not correct. For the 2013 model year, the base/premium package ES had (NuLuxe) seats that were not perforated. The Luxury Package had perforated leather seats, and the Ultra Luxury Package had perforated semi-aniline leather seats. As I said in a previous post, the UL cars had the thigh extender on the drivers seat. This car does not have the thigh extender.

This car also has other features, such as the memory seats and ventilated seats, that a base ES would not have had.

I can say with 100% certainty that it is a Luxury Package car.

Last edited by lesz; 01-22-20 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 04:11 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-22-20, 04:15 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

It seems that the car has some areas that were painted. I could tell. The guy said he bought at auction and he only painted the read bumper scratches, but saw the rear door as shown in picture badly painted.
The car rides great and everything else is good. The front bumper has those nicks that he did when he hit my retaining wall He said he'd give me a discount to compensate for that.
The car is around 12k as it is.
WOuld it be worth it to have a mechanic give me his opinion and maybe offer 10k out the door? Oh the radio needed a new fuse and was not working but he said it will be fixed by the am tomorrow.

I really don't see any other ES 350 2013 in my area at all.

The only other option is to find a dealer who can take me to an auction and help me inspect the potential buy for a fee and just wait until that happens.

I am still safe guys, money in my pocket and just a little dissapointed, but what a nice ride. It was powerful and super smooth. I loved this car.!!
Old 01-22-20, 04:16 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Great discussion here. I am following it. ES350's are plenty and I am noticing a huge push to discount cars for final week of the month. Particularly sedans.

Find your best 2-3 options and don't feel you must limit yourself into an all cash deal.

If it has new tires, thats one less expense you're not going to worry about for 2-3 years.

Financing actually helps your credit and if you can pay off the difference sooner, all the power to you. (eg a 17k car could have you paying $12k, finance 5k) and pay it down 1 k per year or sooner (or less than $99/month, which is less than comcast cable bill or winter electric bill). The value difference at 15k and 10k could be quite noticeable in how much more car you can get (safety, backup cameras). Why torture yourself at the lowest trim or old school radio set ups when you can enjoy the EX/EXL/Touring or Premium/Luxury/UltraLux trims (you get the idea).

This opens up the door to a little more decent car and avoids a potential major service interval coming due soon. I once got caught in a BMW maintenance trap when it was starting to cost $1k every 5k miles. It was better to get rid of it and avoid seeing it devalue even further once over the 100k mark.

Have fun shopping!!
The following 4 users liked this post by All4Lexus:
CasualLex (01-22-20), NoGo3 (06-08-20), Pharaoh77 (02-25-20), swfla (01-22-20)
Old 01-22-20, 04:23 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
That is not correct. For the 2013 model year, the base/premium package ES had (NuLuxe) seats that were not perforated. The Luxury Package had perforated leather seats, and the Ultra Luxury Package had perforated semi-aniline leather seats. As I said in a previous post, the UL cars had the thigh extender on the drivers seat. This car does not have the thigh extender.

This car also has other features, such as the memory seats and ventilated seats, that a base ES would not have had.

I can say with 100% certainty that it is a Luxury Package car.
Great that you were able to pick up on the package. It's not the base package as I thought. But, I would guess that 75% of the ES350 out there have this package, making it an average equipped ES. Would you say that's a fair statement? We want to give the poster a realistic picture of what's out there on the market. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 05:03 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 177 Posts

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...gh=102000&sort=price_asc

Just set the listing for lowest year or lowest price first instead of "Best Match".
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 05:26 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's an interesting car for a CPO -- check the CARFAX to see all the services that were done to bring maintenance up to date for a worry free 2 years.

Vehicle serviced
- Pre-delivery inspection completed
- 55,000 mile service performed
- Alignment performed
- Battery/charging system checked
- Brake fluid flushed/changed
- Four tires balanced
- Four tires mounted
- Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
- Front brake rotor(s) replaced
- Front brakes replaced
- Brake rotor(s) replaced
- Rear brake pads replaced
- Brake rotor(s) resurfaced
- Wiper(s) replaced
- Emissions or safety inspection performed

https://www.wilkielexus.com/certifie...2889000101.htm

Yes, it may be well above your target budget for a luxury package ES350 at 54k miles. It looks like this dealership is ready to let this one go and clear it off the lot.

Here's another one also with 4 brand new tires and Lexus Certified at around 35k miles or do some extra hard homework and see what's available non certified.
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...2013-lexus-es/

Hunting down these cars are part of the fun so enjoy it!
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-23-20, 07:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

At this point in time, a 2013 ES has lost between 2/3 and 3/4 of its original value. The difference in price between a 2013 ES with high mileage and in rough condition and a 2013 ES with lower mileage and in very good condition is relatively small.

I would agree with what a few others have said, and I would be looking for one with lower mileage and in very good condition. A few years down the road, the difference between the trade/re-sale value of a lower mileage/very good condition 2013 ES and one with high mileage and in rough condition will remain pretty much the same as is the case now. So, whatever premium in price paid to get a lower mileage/very good condition car will be largely returned at trade-in/re-sale time, and the potential need for more repairs on the higher mileage/rough condition car should be significantly higher, which points to another advantage for spending a little more now to get an ES with lower mileage and in better condition.
The following 5 users liked this post by lesz:
All4Lexus (01-23-20), CasualLex (01-23-20), NoGo3 (06-08-20), Pharaoh77 (02-25-20), swfla (01-23-20)
Old 01-23-20, 08:14 AM
CasualLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
At this point in time, a 2013 ES has lost between 2/3 and 3/4 of its original value. The difference in price between a 2013 ES with high mileage and in rough condition and a 2013 ES with lower mileage and in very good condition is relatively small.

I would agree with what a few others have said, and I would be looking for one with lower mileage and in very good condition. A few years down the road, the difference between the trade/re-sale value of a lower mileage/very good condition 2013 ES and one with high mileage and in rough condition will remain pretty much the same as is the case now. So, whatever premium in price paid to get a lower mileage/very good condition car will be largely returned at trade-in/re-sale time, and the potential need for more repairs on the higher mileage/rough condition car should be significantly higher, which points to another advantage for spending a little more now to get an ES with lower mileage and in better condition.
Such wisdom. I agree
Old 01-23-20, 08:47 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 177 Posts

One other consideration for the OP...a car looking like the one in those pictures is very likely to require a fair bit of $$ in repairs just to get it in good condition. Best to save up for another couple of months and get a really GOOD one that will last you years before starting to make mechanics richer. When I was younger I learned the hard way...better to pay the banker than to pay (and pay and pay) the mechanic and have to live with the uncertainty of what was going to go next. Even better yet, just defer the purchase until you can afford the good one the first time. You won't regret it.
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-23-20, 04:43 PM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CasualLex
I am still safe guys, money in my pocket and just a little dissapointed, but what a nice ride. It was powerful and super smooth. I loved this car.!!
That car's been in a collision. I'd bet money on it. The bumper cover's misaligned and there's evidence of respraying, and I also see paint transfer on the bumper. As for the "oh the radio needs a fuse" BS... Uh, yeah, then why didn't you put the fuse in before you brought the car over to be sold. The radio's busted and he's hoping to get your cash in his hands before you figure it out.

Run away - this car's a lemon. All ES350's have the same nice ride and smooth power. Get one that hasn't lived such a hard life and let some other sucker take a bath on this one.

The following 5 users liked this post by Eslader:
Albo (01-25-20), mrsteve7 (01-24-20), NoGo3 (06-08-20), Pharaoh77 (02-25-20), swfla (01-23-20)
Old 01-23-20, 07:46 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

“I loved this car.!!” Hi, sorry to pile on here. I think the accurate term is I love Lexus ES 350’s. They are great cars, just keep looking for one that’s in good condition, has service history and no flaws.

“The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.”

Quick Reply: Buying an ES 350 2013 little advise please?