ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying an ES 350 2013 little advise please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 05:38 AM
abrown0809
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by st1800
“I loved this car.!!” Hi, sorry to pile on here. I think the accurate term is I love Lexus ES 350’s. They are great cars, just keep looking for one that’s in good condition, has service history and no flaws.

“The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.”
That statement is super true, its a lesson I have learned time and time again. Its better to pay a little more fore quality and sanity, than to save a bunch of money but then you are stuck with something that's poor quality or that becomes a money pit.
Old 01-24-20, 07:58 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 177 Posts

I know this is in Canada but look at this one: https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/lexus/...204R3&sprx=500

9,000 km is about 5,000 miles and the price about $20,000 US. Essentially a brand new ES350 for 20 grand. You just never know what might be coming up for sale tomorrow. The history of this car? No idea..maybe a dealer loaner but definitely something I’d look at if I had not already bought several months ago. Who says depreciation is a bad thing?
Old 01-24-20, 09:06 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I know this is in Canada but look at this one: https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/lexus/...204R3&sprx=500

9,000 km is about 5,000 miles and the price about $20,000 US. Essentially a brand new ES350 for 20 grand. You just never know what might be coming up for sale tomorrow. The history of this car? No idea..maybe a dealer loaner but definitely something I’d look at if I had not already bought several months ago. Who says depreciation is a bad thing?
Collision Damage.

https://vhr.carfax.ca/main?id=Aiub6V...cTCvMYiqRQcXwI

Doesnt necessarily mean its it’s not a good vehicle, but something that needs to inspected closely. $2500 repair isn’t major damage.
Old 01-24-20, 09:12 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 177 Posts

Don’t forget that repair estimate is $Cdn so about $2,000 US. Also I question the apparent typo on Carfax which increased mileage by 81,000 km in just one year! Agree 100% with need to carefully inspect front right corner plus all switches and electronics although that repair probably covers only removing a little wrinkle in the fender or maybe replacing the headlight.

My guess would be that the car ended up back at a dealer as a result of an estate situation based on the last couple of years with no mileage increase reporting.

ps: two years is about the normal length of time for an executor of an estate to be granted probate, get the estate liquidated and taxes taken care of here in Canada.

Last edited by Tootsall; 01-24-20 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
st1800 (01-24-20)
Old 01-25-20, 10:54 PM
TSung
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd suggest be patient and keep looking. I was in a similar situation looking for a 2013 - 2015 ES350 with no accidents, preferrably 1 owner, low milage, and always owned in the same province. After four months of looking, I found that special ES350 I was looking for, except the milage was high for me at 96k. Got it for $14,800 USD OTD.
Old 01-26-20, 12:33 PM
ES350CT
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TSung
I'd suggest be patient and keep looking. I was in a similar situation looking for a 2013 - 2015 ES350 with no accidents, preferrably 1 owner, low milage, and always owned in the same province. After four months of looking, I found that special ES350 I was looking for, except the milage was high for me at 96k. Got it for $14,800 USD OTD.
what year was it and when did you make the purchase? Pictures..
Old 01-27-20, 08:58 AM
TSung
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ES350CT
what year was it and when did you make the purchase? Pictures..

2013 ES350. Purchased it June 2019 with 96k miles. One owner, no accidents, always owned in the same Province and most of the major maintenance have been completed. I love it!
Old 01-27-20, 11:42 AM
CasualLex
Rookie

beautiful car and what a great price.

I am working with a broker who will scope the dealer auctions
Dream Specs I was hoping for that I requested:
2013 or 2014
Under 100k preferably under 80k
One or 2 owners
Carfax no accidents
Carfax showing oil changes regularly
Southern car hopefully
between 13 and 14k
Color not that important but prefer darker grey, blue, maybe white.
Good shape driver's seat.
Ultra luxury package.

I am back to having patience!
All4Lexus (01-27-20)
Old 01-27-20, 11:54 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CasualLex
beautiful car and what a great price.

I am working with a broker who will scope the dealer auctions
Dream Specs I was hoping for that I requested:
2013 or 2014
Under 100k preferably under 80k
One or 2 owners
Carfax no accidents
Carfax showing oil changes regularly
Southern car hopefully
between 13 and 14k
Color not that important but prefer darker grey, blue, maybe white.
Good shape driver's seat.
Ultra luxury package.

I am back to having patience!
One quick note is the '15 model has free navigation. You can look into this further and verify it. This was the reason I cut out the '13-'14 models. Can other ES owners chime in their insights/observations? Maybe it is not a big deal.

Hopefully the supply of ES cars is large enough so you can pick among the best 15-30 available at any given time.

My latest car purchase had me willing to travel up to 3-4 hours away, or fly by air and drive back as long as the one way air ticket was $250 or less. The patience prevailed because the one I was looking for was found at local dealership and turned into a CPO car. I didn't wait out this car for it to get a lower price. 18k miles later, each day is driving satisfaction with a V6 and CarPlay over a noisy turbo 4cylinder. Good in your search and save your 'search' options in cargurus, cars and autotrader website. Some car search sites let you do keyword search if you're trying to narrow down a specific option/feature.
CasualLex (01-27-20)
Old 01-27-20, 12:18 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
One quick note is the '15 model has free navigation. You can look into this further and verify it. This was the reason I cut out the '13-'14 models. Can other ES owners chime in their insights/observations? Maybe it is not a big deal.

Hopefully the supply of ES cars is large enough so you can pick among the best 15-30 available at any given time.

My latest car purchase had me willing to travel up to 3-4 hours away, or fly by air and drive back as long as the one way air ticket was $250 or less. The patience prevailed because the one I was looking for was found at local dealership and turned into a CPO car. I didn't wait out this car for it to get a lower price. 18k miles later, each day is driving satisfaction with a V6 and CarPlay over a noisy turbo 4cylinder. Good in your search and save your 'search' options in cargurus, cars and autotrader website. Some car search sites let you do keyword search if you're trying to narrow down a specific option/feature.
I hear you. I have been too impatient. 2015 might be more than 14 eve at auction but I will ask.
How can I get the android car play In a 2013?
Old 01-27-20, 12:43 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CasualLex
I hear you. I have been too impatient. 2015 might be more than 14 eve at auction but I will ask.
How can I get the android car play In a 2013?
Your best bet for older vehicle options is use a phone holder (pop socket or grip thing) in the car with a large sized android phone as your 'portable' carplay/android auto option. That gives you a hands free set up and not run into any snafus with local county or province rules. Each automaker has a start date for CarPlay capability for their models. Lexus has been late to the party 7 years after CarPlay was first introduced (2012) in all of their 2019 models and later. If you want to get creative with larger screen options, you could get an ipad mini, mount it, and it can automatically connect to your phone via wifi hotspot whenever you get into the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by All4Lexus:
CasualLex (01-27-20), Pharaoh77 (02-25-20)
Old 01-27-20, 01:12 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

LOOKS nice. You don't say how you know about it's accident and repair history. Do you have any actual documentation/records of service work done. A carfax may reveal that as well as any accidents that were SUBMITTED to insurance. It's never a bad idea to get an independent mechanic to inspect it for hidden damage (accidents not submitted to insurance) or other issues. A quick computer scan will check many sophisticated systems. You're spending a lot of money, Another $100-200 for a pro inspection is a good investment. Have you researched how many similar cars are on the market in the tri-state area? If this car passes independent inspection as clean, then I thinks it's a fair deal.
Old 01-27-20, 01:24 PM
ES350CT
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
LOOKS nice. You don't say how you know about it's accident and repair history. Do you have any actual documentation/records of service work done. A carfax may reveal that as well as any accidents that were SUBMITTED to insurance. It's never a bad idea to get an independent mechanic to inspect it for hidden damage (accidents not submitted to insurance) or other issues. A quick computer scan will check many sophisticated systems. You're spending a lot of money, Another $100-200 for a pro inspection is a good investment. Have you researched how many similar cars are on the market in the tri-state area? If this car passes independent inspection as clean, then I thinks it's a fair deal.
It was originally purchased at Lexus of Westport, the second owner purchased it from a smaller dealership in Milford. He has the original window sticker which shows the options and price. I purchased a carfax and did a lot of research in the tri-state area (the price is well below market). There is another selling for 14,900 (plus tax and dealer fees) at a Lexus dealer without CPO and with 79k miles. The only incident the second owner speaks about is using the spare tire when he got a flat 3 months ago. It drives very nicely, we took a 45 minute road test (highway speeds, roads that were smooth, jagged, and everything in between).

In service date is 12/2013 and the original price was $40,462 (plus tax and dealer fees).

My choices are limited because I am only considering a white exterior color option.

Last edited by ES350CT; 01-27-20 at 02:52 PM.
CasualLex (01-27-20)
Old 01-27-20, 05:04 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350CT
It was originally purchased at Lexus of Westport, the second owner purchased it from a smaller dealership in Milford. He has the original window sticker which shows the options and price. I purchased a carfax and did a lot of research in the tri-state area (the price is well below market). There is another selling for 14,900 (plus tax and dealer fees) at a Lexus dealer without CPO and with 79k miles. The only incident the second owner speaks about is using the spare tire when he got a flat 3 months ago. It drives very nicely, we took a 45 minute road test (highway speeds, roads that were smooth, jagged, and everything in between).

In service date is 12/2013 and the original price was $40,462 (plus tax and dealer fees).

My choices are limited because I am only considering a white exterior color option.
You did a lot of homework and research on your own. Good job and thorough too. Now, because not all accidents show up on car fax and you really don't have any written documentation of maintenance history, you really should consider getting a mechanic to go over it. It's cheap "insurance". Just because the current owner says there's no problems, doesn't mean there aren't hidden issues he's unaware of. That and good luck is about all I can tell you.
Old 01-28-20, 05:23 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Guys... please help with this one.
It is a 2015 $16,500 with 100k miles, but it is a 1 owner and no accidents on carfax and maintenance badge for manufacturer's recommended services. It seems that even with high miles it was serviced religiously! The carfax is clickable on their ad.
It is above my budget, but wouldn't a 2015 with impeccable service record be worth $16,500 even with high miles?
Any upgrades to the line for this year vs 2013 and also, anyone can tell what Luxury package it has?

I would have to drive to memphis to get this car from nashville. I'd still take it to a mechanic over there for a checkup.

Here is the link: https://www.mtmoriahautos.com/2015-l...-38115/6744124

Here is the carfax. https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...672&source=BUP

Thanks guys, look forward to your advise.

Quick Reply: Buying an ES 350 2013 little advise please?