ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying an ES 350 2013 little advise please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 06:43 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying an ES 350 2013 little advise please?

So I am considering a few local ES 350 2013.
I like the design for 2013 and the ES takes regular gas and apparently it is cheaper to repair than a GS?

I will be looking at a couple tomorrow it seems, just to test ride them.
They are around 13k.
They are dealer cars, hopefully I can try to negotiate a couple thousand less if paid cash?

Is there some list or things I should pay particular attention to when buying the ES 350 2013 here in Nashville?
mean, known issues or potential issues that may be common and you guys know about. That would be really helpful.

I am going to look into bringing a mechanic to do an inspection or may be better to ask the dealership permission to take it to a lexus dealer for example and pay their service department for an inspection.

Should I seek under 125k miles for example?

This is one I am looking at https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...058688852.html
and this one https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...2013-lexus-es/

What color is more popular?
Thanks
Old 01-21-20, 08:17 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Since you are looking at some tomorrow i wanted to give my thoughts just in case someone more knowledgeable doesn't chime in tonight. The only issues (very rare) were door lock actuators not working and a battery drain due to some ECU computer. I would go the NHTSA website and lookup the TSB's for this car to see any common issues and do a search on the forum. Overall this car is very reliable. The biggest features to get are HID headlights, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, and heated/ventilated seats IMO. Also as with any other car it is still a 120k mile car so the mechanic you are bringing is a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-21-20, 08:33 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by L3XUSFAN
Since you are looking at some tomorrow i wanted to give my thoughts just in case someone more knowledgeable doesn't chime in tonight. The only issues (very rare) were door lock actuators not working and a battery drain due to some ECU computer. I would go the NHTSA website and lookup the TSB's for this car to see any common issues and do a search on the forum. Overall this car is very reliable. The biggest features to get are HID headlights, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, and heated/ventilated seats IMO. Also as with any other car it is still a 120k mile car so the mechanic you are bringing is a good idea.
Thank you for the heads up. I will look into these.
How do you guys go about having a mechanic inspect the car? You hire a service that sends a mechanic or you ask the dealership to let you take the car for a couple of hours and take it to a lexus dealer or another mechanic shop?

Also, if a dealer wants 14k. And I have cash, what kind of leverage do you feel I can get away with? I mean they are pros and I'm not, but I don't have to buy anything and show I can walk away too. However, how much could I ask for as discount? Would it be possible to offer 10k out the door and start from there? A little strategy would help me. Also don't want to pay their doc fees and stuff.
Thanks for any insight on these matters too.
Old 01-21-20, 08:41 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CasualLex
How do you guys go about having a mechanic inspect the car? You hire a service that sends a mechanic or you ask the dealership to let you take the car for a couple of hours and take it to a lexus dealer or another mechanic shop?

Also, if a dealer wants 14k. And I have cash, what kind of leverage do you feel I can get away with? I mean they are pros and I'm not, but I don't have to buy anything and show I can walk away too. However, how much could I ask for as discount? Would it be possible to offer 10k out the door and start from there? A little strategy would help me. Also don't want to pay their doc fees and stuff.
I'm don't have any good advice about the money aspect of it and negotiating. But i would look at some prices similar cars sold, not KBB as they over inflate prices to make it seem like you got a good deal (or so i've heard). For the mechanic part some people drop it off at a lexus dealer or a good trusted mechanic and pay a inspection fee and they check the car out. A dealer should have no issue with that. I would check the carfax and get maintenance records. There will be issues with a used car maybe minor or even major which is why you have to get it checked out.
CasualLex (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 10:45 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Just be aware that the spark plugs call for replacement before 125k miles so you may want to inquire whether or not that $500+ job was completed. Also most of the cars that I looked at using car sales apps (eg autotrader, etc) had an optional carfax icon to click on for free.
Old 01-22-20, 09:21 AM
CasualLex
Rookie

Ok. this guy is a "broker" meaning he has no dealership but buys at auction. The car is one owner. 120+ miles and had a minor front collision according to carfax and he said it was just scratches that were "painted". I will try and schedule a showing for today hopefully, but not sure if this collision and the high miles would be bad even for resale in the future. He asks under 13k and I am sure I may be able to come down at least 2k.
Link to carfax https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...mh8qLOd7--jQ_A
Link to car pictures https://www.auto.com/cars/lexus-es_3...bk1gg6d2005014

He says it is loaded. with these" (is this the fully loaded version)
POWER MOON ROOF
POWER WINDOWS
DUAL POWER SEATS
POWER DOOR LOCKS
NAVIGATION
HEATED & COOLED FRONT SEATS
LEVINSON AUDIO/STEREO SYSTEM W/CD & STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL
BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYSTEM
COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEM
LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
BACK UP CAMERA
Old 01-22-20, 10:21 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Ok. this guy is a "broker" meaning he has no dealership but buys at auction. The car is one owner. 120+ miles and had a minor front collision according to carfax and he said it was just scratches that were "painted". I will try and schedule a showing for today hopefully, but not sure if this collision and the high miles would be bad even for resale in the future. He asks under 13k and I am sure I may be able to come down at least 2k.
Link to carfax https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...mh8qLOd7--jQ_A
Link to car pictures https://www.auto.com/cars/lexus-es_3...bk1gg6d2005014

He says it is loaded. with these" (is this the fully loaded version)
POWER MOON ROOF
POWER WINDOWS
DUAL POWER SEATS
POWER DOOR LOCKS
NAVIGATION
HEATED & COOLED FRONT SEATS
LEVINSON AUDIO/STEREO SYSTEM W/CD & STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL
BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYSTEM
COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEM
LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
BACK UP CAMERA
The term "loaded" can mean different things to different people. I would consider that car to be "very nicely-equipped", but I would not consider it to be "loaded".

The car is definitely not a car with the Ultra Luxury Package, which is the most expensive package for a 2013 ES. The first giveaway is that a car with the UL package would have a thigh extender on the driver's seat, and this car doesn't. It appears that this car is a Luxury Package car.

I'm also fairly certain that the car does not have the Mark Levinson audio system. In the 2013 model year, it was virtually always the case that only UL package cars had the ML audio system. I don't believe that I've ever seen a 2013 ES that had the ML audio without it being an UL package.

Also note that no 6th Generation ES had "cooled" seats. Instead, some ES, including this car, had "ventilated" seats.

I'm also fairly certain that the car does not have the collision avoidance/auto braking system. Again, for the 2013 model year, virtually all cars with the option were UL package cars. Also, I don't see the controls for the auto braking/radar cruise in the pictures.

So, if those items are inaccurate in the description of the car, I'd be wary about what else might not be accurate.

Last edited by lesz; 01-22-20 at 04:00 PM.
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 10:48 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The dealer doesn't care if you pay cash. If anything, they would make more if you finance it since they probably get a commission every time they send a loan to one of the banks they work with. Personally, I always work out a price over email before I go and see the car. If everything looks good I buy it and leave with it, if not then I don't.
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 11:17 AM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, but don't take it to a Lexus dealership. In my town, both Lexus dealerships are owned by the same guy, so there's an inherent bias toward telling you "yeah! Car's great! Buy it!" In other towns, Lexus dealerships are owned by different people, so there's an inherent bias toward telling you "this car sucks but I just happen to have a better one on MY lot!"

Take it to an independent, local mechanic who gets good ratings on the review sites (and read the reviews to make sure they're substantive, not variations on "they're really nice and the coffee is good." Not a chain.

As others have said, you'll get no leverage with cash. Leverage comes from having a trade-in be part of the deal or from knowing something damaging about the owner. In reality, they have almost all the leverage. The only leverage you have is your feet - walk away if they don't give you the deal you want. Research what similar cars are going for in your area, and expect to pay around that. If they insist that you have to pay more, leave.

NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 11:34 AM
CasualLex
Rookie

excellent. I printed out all these suggestions. the seller is coming to my house to show me the car!!!! HOw about that.

If this is not the luxury package is this a deal breaker? I might be too eager to pay and be done with it. I love the color. But I know I should hold my horses. Guys I am excited.

I will post pictures
Old 01-22-20, 11:56 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 171 Posts

excellent. I printed out all these suggestions. the seller is coming to my house to show me the car!!!! HOw about that.

If this is not the luxury package is this a deal breaker? I might be too eager to pay and be done with it. I love the color. But I know I should hold my horses. Guys I am excited.

I will post pictures
Sounds like you might have 'bought it' before you've even seen it. Remember, there are more where that came from.
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 11:58 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

>The car is one owner. 120+ miles and had a minor front collision according to carfax
Stay away, these cars are plentiful enough that you don't have to take a risk on a car like that.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (it's aubergine)

The following 2 users liked this post by pab12:
CasualLex (01-22-20), NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 12:17 PM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

the seller is coming to my house to show me the car!!!! HOw about that.
No way I'd buy that car. If it starts hard when cold, you won't know because it'll be warmed up by the time it gets there. You also can't check for proper radiator circulation or coolant issues because you can't open the cap. I also have difficulty believing that a legitimate dealership/broker would be bringing the car to you unless you were talking about a concierge service for something high-end.

Plus, it's never a great idea to let them come to your house. Meet at theirs or at a "safe zone" (usually a designated area covered by surveillance cameras at a police station parking lot)

Also, as @Tootsall said, you're way, *way* too eager here, and that's a good way to set yourself up to be screwed. Lexus ES's are a dime a dozen. They're everywhere. You are not going to miss out on the car of a lifetime if you don't buy this one. You need to approach this as un-emotionally as possible.
The following 4 users liked this post by Eslader:
iceman1212 (01-23-20), Jasones350 (07-15-20), NoGo3 (06-08-20), swfla (01-22-20)
Old 01-22-20, 01:29 PM
abrown0809
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would pass on this one man. Keep looking. Never rush the purchase of a car. Keep looking and weigh options. You might even end up with a newer one. I'd say try and get a 2015 and up.
NoGo3 (06-08-20)
Old 01-22-20, 02:14 PM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to know everything that was available for a Lexus in a particular year, search for a pdf of the brochure. "ES 350 2013 brochure" typed into a search engine should get you what you need.

Lexus has a vin decoder on their website. Use that to see everything a particular car has. Don't trust what a dealer says the car has.

The following 2 users liked this post by CF01:
CasualLex (01-22-20), NoGo3 (06-08-20)

Quick Reply: Buying an ES 350 2013 little advise please?