ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transition From Factory To CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 10:35 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Default Transition From Factory To CPO Warranty

My 2016 ES 350 has about 45K miles and the factory warranty ends mid-April. As the CPO warranty isn't as inclusive as the factory warranty, I plan on bringing the car to an independent mechanic who uses Techstream and has reasonable experience with Lexus cars. Probably mid-March in case something questionable comes up in the inspection, giving me plenty of time to sort it out with Lexus factory warranty coverage. There's not much of a maintenance record on the car before I bought it 18 months ago. I've done regular scheduled services and replaced the battery.
My question to you is: are there any items, systems, settings that should be inspected/tested by the independent mechanic above and beyond, Techstream data and visual inspection? One thought was to have the a/c coolant charge checked. Once and if I get any questionable items, I'll go to the dealer for warranty service. I'm also going to do a check for TSBs and recalls. I did a forum search for any known issues but came up empty. As a Lexus owner for many years, I don't expect much if anything to come up.
Old 01-26-20, 12:06 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

No news is good news. I feel comfortable moving forward with the plan, as is. Thanks to all who took the time to read and consider my posting!
Old 01-27-20, 06:41 AM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

From my perspective, if the car isn't exhibiting problematic symptoms, you're likely to have a difficult time getting the dealership to do a warranty repair on something that isn't yet broken. The techstream test at the independent might show that a system is getting ready to fail, but the warranty covers *failed* systems, not "systems which will at some point in the possibly-near-future fail."

The recall search can usually be done online with your vin, and recalls get repaired for free whether you're still under the warranty or not. I remember getting a recall done on the seat belts in my old '91 CRX something like 6 years after the warranty expired.

Old 01-27-20, 08:14 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Eslader
From my perspective, if the car isn't exhibiting problematic symptoms, you're likely to have a difficult time getting the dealership to do a warranty repair on something that isn't yet broken. The techstream test at the independent might show that a system is getting ready to fail, but the warranty covers *failed* systems, not "systems which will at some point in the possibly-near-future fail."

The recall search can usually be done online with your vin, and recalls get repaired for free whether you're still under the warranty or not. I remember getting a recall done on the seat belts in my old '91 CRX something like 6 years after the warranty expired.
Excellent point about "almost failed". I feel that spending $150-200 will buy me some peace of mind/reference point. My Lexus currently has the TSB for the SOS system update. I'm not subscribed (unless it works even without a subscription) so I was going to hold off on this fix until I've had my independent inspection in 6-8 weeks. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-27-20, 11:44 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

WRT extended warranties... Don't Do It!
These cars are extremely well built and reliable, so any $$ you put up for an extended warranty of any sort will be lost.
If you are concerned, price a warranty, then put that equivalent sum in a bank account of some sort. Five years from now, you'll have made interest on your money and your car will still be driving great.
Or, use that $ to pay for routine things like oil changes, new tires, brake jobs, etc.
=============================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 01-27-20, 12:56 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pab12
WRT extended warranties... Don't Do It!
These cars are extremely well built and reliable, so any $$ you put up for an extended warranty of any sort will be lost.
If you are concerned, price a warranty, then put that equivalent sum in a bank account of some sort. Five years from now, you'll have made interest on your money and your car will still be driving great.
Or, use that $ to pay for routine things like oil changes, new tires, brake jobs, etc.
=============================================
What does WRT mean? But I agree about the reliability of Lexus cars. This car is CPO, the dealer negotiated with me to make it a good buy in my opinion. Most 3-4 year old Lexus, in great condition are lease cars being turned in. The dealers then make the nice ones CPO. If I wanted older models or new models not in pristine condition, I could avoid CPO. Yes, sometimes other brand dealers get cherry 3-4 year old Lexus, non CPO, but hard to find. So, to sum it up, for me, the sweet spot is 3-4 years old in like new condition and the easiest, with biggest selection is to go CPO. I wouldn't ever add/buy an optional warranty beyond this. As you said, put it in the bank
Old 01-27-20, 01:17 PM
pab12
Intermediate

>>WRT extended warranties... Don't Do It!
>What does WRT mean?
It's an idiom for "With respect to". Or: With respect to extended warranties... Don't Do It!
We're in full agreement about CPOs being the way to go. Take the depreciation, minus a bit of mark-up for the CPO, but have the remainder of the factory warranty to make sure the car isn't a lemon. A nearly new car, and a factory warranty, but with significant savings over buying new.

Score!!!
=================================
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (it's aubergine)
The following users liked this post:
swfla (01-27-20)
Old 01-28-20, 01:40 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pab12
>>WRT extended warranties... Don't Do It!
>What does WRT mean?
It's an idiom for "With respect to". Or: With respect to extended warranties... Don't Do It!
We're in full agreement about CPOs being the way to go. Take the depreciation, minus a bit of mark-up for the CPO, but have the remainder of the factory warranty to make sure the car isn't a lemon. A nearly new car, and a factory warranty, but with significant savings over buying new.

Score!!!
=================================
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (it's aubergine)
CPO is exactly what I have. Perhaps you misread my original post. I don't believe in extended warranties either.
Old 01-28-20, 06:16 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>I don't believe in extended warranties either.
Yup, my reply was intended to be in full support of what you said.
===================================

Old 01-29-20, 08:06 AM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

The CPO *is* an extended warranty which you can extend further. But, unless I misread the CPO documentation, it's an actual warranty, which means you can take it in for problems and those problems will get fixed without you having to pay anything.

A lot of "extended warranties" are actually service plans fraudulently advertised as warranties. You can spot those because they will have a deductible that you have to pay any time you have a repair performed. Usually around $100. Those should be avoided like the plague, especially since you have to pay $100 no matter what the problem is.

Evap purge valve goes bad, and it's a $75 job? Nope, you're paying $100 unless you know what the problem is, and the cost to repair, before you bring it in for service.

Advertising those programs as "warranties" should be outlawed.
swfla (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 09:27 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I've been sleeping on this issue (some of my best thinking), I think that an inspection before factory warranty expires should focus on a visual review of leaks, belts and hoses (premature wear bordering on failure) and bearings/bushings. This is based on my believe that CPO excludes those items and the factory warranty would likely cover them. I agree with the previous post about CPO giving warranty coverage on most other items (with the above items excluded). I've read over the CPO terms and the small print appears to support this belief. However, I can find small print misleading as far as my personal brain power abilities go. Input welcome.
Old 01-30-20, 05:54 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>The CPO *is* an extended warranty
Yes, it's directly from Toyota.
In my case it covered the entire cost of replacing the sunroof for the roof rattle problem with early Gen6 cars.
It took over 6 weeks to do (parts were slow to arrive) and it also covered the "cost" of a loaner for that entire period.
No deductible no other fees.
==================================================
Current Mine: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD

swfla (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 02:26 PM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

This is the checklist to certify a car as CPO.
https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf
Old 01-31-20, 05:38 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>This is the checklist to certify a car as CPO.
Cool, thanks
==================================================
Current Mine: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD