ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

watched vids for 2 hours still undecided on oil and oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-20, 07:38 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default watched vids for 2 hours still undecided on oil and oil filter

Would like to do my first oil change to start my base line on my new to me 2016 ES 350. Thought I had it figured it out but my Youtube University has got me a little confused.
Mobile 1
Amsoil
Castrol
Motul sp? thats for u Steve

Then I want to be absolutely sure I use the best oil filter as well..........

Mobile 1 has their own
Amsoil has their own
etc etc

I just want to be sure the oil is flowing at the correct rate ........

Maybe I will just do what Steve does.....he seems to know what he is talking about.........Motul sp and TRD filter?

I was hoping on changing my oil tomorrow but whatever I go with will be what I stick with.....whats it gunna be boys?

There are so many oil threads I know I know......consider this just a 2020 quick check in..........
Old 01-31-20, 08:07 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry Steve......short term memory issues here.........I cant even quote someone properly........lets try this copy and paste

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) 0W20 which is manufactured by Mobil for Toyota

There thats better.....coupled with an amsoil filter...........

Seems if I am gunna be serious about giving the ole girl the best......this is the way to go.......

My second place would be Walmart Mobile 1 extended life with mobile 1 filter

Old 01-31-20, 08:40 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered the Toyota OEM oil via Amazon.........now narrowing down the filter.............wix.....amsoil......mobile 1...............then I am done!!!!!
Old 01-31-20, 09:10 PM
L3XUSFAN
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
I ordered the Toyota OEM oil via Amazon.........now narrowing down the filter.............wix.....amsoil......mobile 1...............then I am done!!!!!
Mobil 1 oil will work fine. Toyota Oil will also work fine (Mobil 1 makes Toyota oil to Toyota's spec). The Toyota oem oil filter is cheap and works well.
If you really wanna read a ton more you can google bobistheoilguy and toyota oil.
Old 02-01-20, 02:22 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
I think you will be fine. I have always used Mobil 1 EP ( 15K mile oil ) full synthetic and the mobil 1 EP oil filter. Used both in numerous cars I've owned for years and never had a problem. I will say this.. a few years back I was told that Mobil made oil for Toyota / Lexus... To be honest I didn't believe the service writer when he told me it was made "specifically" for Toyota / Lexus.. So I called Mobil one and asked them. I was told that the did indeed manufacture oil for Toyota... When I asked him if was made to a higher spec, he wouldn't say.. he was non committal and finally he told me if you want the best Mobil 1 oil we make, you can buy it off the shelf at Wal mart and other auto parts stores... I'm not saying what they make for Toyota is or isn't better than the Mobil 1 sold at auto part stores... I'm just saying I buy mine at walmart and as long as you change it every 10K miles you should be fine.. I actually change mine every 5 thousand but I'm crazy. You never hear of cars breaking down anymore because of oil related issues... jmo

The following users liked this post:
blackydog (02-05-20)
Old 02-01-20, 02:48 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I've generally gotten 250-300K miles from all of my cars (e.g., 1971 VW fastback, Volvo 240D X 2, Infiniti G35) using Mobil 1, Castrol Edge and German Castrol, Pennzoil PP or Amsoil (whichever was on sale). I think most motor oils perform comparably at this level, even when shown via Blackstone Labs analysis. Wear numbers are different for most oils, but in the end, such numbers are negligible if relevant. The key is a good filter, top quality oil and oil changes based not on distance driven alone, but number of starts/stops, type of driving, climate, and frequency of oil changes. Also, your electronics will likely need more work over the years than your engine or tranny.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ provides solid info, if you're inclined to read a dissertation of solid material. If buying the right oil products produces too much angst, your car will outlive you. Enjoy your ride, buy top quality oil, a top quality filter and change your oil every 5-7.5K miles and you should be fine. If this is overwhelming, maybe some Prozac, Zoloft or Paxil will help.

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 02-01-20 at 02:51 AM.
blackydog (02-05-20)
Old 02-01-20, 04:10 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts

I buy my Mobil 1 at Walmart $23 for a five quart jug and Toyota oil filter on line for $5. Twice a year in the spring and fall Mobil runs a $12 rebate on the five quart jug. Fill out on line with a pic of receipt uploaded whole thing takes three minutes a to do and six weeks to receive. Every rebate season i buy two 5 quart jugs. I have a supply of four in the garage. Motor oil has a five year shelf life. I take the oil and filter to my Lexus or Toyota dealer and they charge me $30 labor. Total cost $46.

The law of diminishing returns applies here. We all love our cars and think my putting a more expensive oil and filter will be better. Much more important not what oil and filter but every 10,000 miles. Absolutely no way Amsoil or any other expensive oil over just 10,000 miles is five times better then Mobil 1. Keep it simple and inexpensive.
blackydog (02-05-20)
Old 02-01-20, 08:36 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies guys.........ya like I said I already purchased the Toyota OEM oil since it is made by Mobile 1 and dialed in by Toyota I dont think I could do any better then that.

I am deciding on the filter today.........I originally purchased 3 oem toyota filters but now after much research......it seams the oem filters arent up to par with some of the higher end options such as the

Mobile !
Amsoil
Wix

and a few other oil filters. I believe I will be purchasing the AmsOil filter with my only reservation being how it fits in the Filter housing compared to the OEM. I watched a vid of the AmsOil oil filter being installed and it wasnt like it just snapped into place but thats just me being quirky.

Thanks for your replies.......I have never spent so much money on a car before........she is gunna be spoiled.
Old 02-01-20, 08:44 AM
uncle
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You are overthinking it. The Lexus/Toyota Filters are high quality, available, and reasonably priced. Mobil 1 can be bought anywhere and in the scheme of things, inexpensive.

Previously, I was a long time Castrol user, but it always left a varnish on the inside of the engine.

Every engine I have had apart that used Mobil 1, was really clean. So that is why I use this on all of my cars.

If you want to drive yourself really crazy on this, go to Bobs the oil guy and read all of his thoughts
Freds430 (02-01-20)
Old 02-01-20, 08:51 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ha.....nope.....not goin over to Bobs.......Im not smart enough to decipher all of the tech talk. I think I have done a good job of zeroing in on the best products available.
The Toyota oil......is Mobile 1......so all good there.......
The OEM filters I have already in my possession via Amazon....but once I got them and I have watched all of the Youtube vids on the more expensive options I can see the difference and will be going that route.
Old 02-01-20, 08:52 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

On this type of forum, the overthinkers have a "field day" with fluids, filters, tires. If that's your personality type, enjoy yourself. Very little in life is black and white, right or wrong.
Old 02-01-20, 09:04 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Oh ya.....that is my personality type for sure and definitely not the first time I have been told I am overthinking something. I enjoy taking things to the next level.....I mean thats pretty much what we are all doing by even being on a forum....we want what is best for our cars. I sat and watched teen aged kids changing my oil at my local shop on my run around town car and every action they did made my skin crawl. They wont be touching Sexy Lexy.
Old 02-01-20, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I run Toyotas 0W20 and an Amsoil Ea filter. The Amsoil filters are very high quality (expensive though), and I haven't seen anything else that looks to be higher quality in this cartridge style. Toyota also sells the same Amsoil filters as their "TRD Filter" so thats a nice plus too

I also do 5k changes, I don't wait for 10k on the advice of my mechanic, but I have direct injection the ES does not. 10k would be fine for you (would be for me too).
Old 02-01-20, 10:59 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
On this type of forum, the overthinkers have a "field day" with fluids, filters, tires.
You are so right. like to add changing the transmission fluid and what grade of gas to buy.
Maikerusan (02-01-20)
Old 02-01-20, 12:36 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

When was the last time you heard about modern engine failure due to type of oil that was used? It simply does not happen! If you use any API certified oil that meets required viscosity grade and change it as per manufacture recommendations, your engine will not give you troubles because you did not use boutique oils. You dont need amsoil, its BS marketing to suck your money. buy any quality brand synthetic oil such as pennzoil, mobil1 and etc, change it as required, and I can assure you, your engine will not give you oil related problems.
if you change oil as per manufacture recommended intervals, OEM filter will do fine
Freds430 (02-01-20)

Quick Reply: watched vids for 2 hours still undecided on oil and oil filter