ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tick or Knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 08:31 PM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tick or Knock

OK. I'm obsessing about sounds from my 165,000 mile 2013 ES350. I'm the second owner and when I bought it at the end of October I didn't notice them as much and got a clean bill of health from a pre-purchase inspection (at 162,000 miles).

But, as I've driven it 4 months now, I'm more in tune to its sounds. I'm wondering how much of it is "normal". First, I have noticed are an engine ticking or knocking sound at idle from inside the cabin. I haven't spent a lot of time on it but I'm wondering if I can get it quieter. It's almost like a diesel sound to me. It's not as noticeable when the engine first starts and the idel is up around 1200-1300 RPM, but becomes noticeable when idle lowers below 800-900 RPM. After warming up, it idles at about 650 RPM.

Second, I've noticed a sound I describe as a "gear whine" or "whirring" sound when accelerating. It goes right along with the RPMs and also the shifts in gears. Not really noticeable after the second shift, I think.

Third, I sometimes notice a whistle when accelerating too, but only if my window is down and there isn't much other traffic noise on the street.

Am I paranoid? Is it just the mileage? The car drives great otherwise. Gas mileage seems great, the acceleration is great. Maybe the shifts are not as "butter smooth" as I've heard others describe. But then I've never driven another Lexus, other than one other ES350 test drive and I didn't recall a vast difference.
Old 03-03-20, 06:02 AM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Ticking can be normal valve noise, although excessive ticking can indicate a need for a valve adjustment. Knocking can be indicative of more serious problems. But those are specific terms in the mechanical world, so if you're not sure what you have, you should swing it by a mechanically-inclined friend's house and have them listen to it (or ask your trusted mechanic at the next oil change).

I've noticed a more prominent gear whine in this car than others. I'm not concerned.

To comment on the whistle we'd need to know where it's coming from and its general characteristics. Are we talking a slide whistle here? Rising and lower in pitch with vehicle speed?

As to the non-smooth shifts, when's the last time you had the transmission fluid exchanged (and don't listen to Lexus dealerships who tell you you never need to change the fluid. That's a load of hooey)
The following 2 users liked this post by Eslader:
hisstojay (03-04-20), PatAz (03-03-20)
Old 03-04-20, 09:15 PM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. I planned to do the oil change myself to save money. I might try to record the sound and see if it captures the same level of sound I'm experiencing. It's not loud enough that when I have the radio at normal levels I can even hear it. But I can hear it in the cabin without the radio and the windows rolled up (ticking/knocking and gear whine).

I only noticed the "whistle" when the windows are rolled down and I pass next to a fence that seems to bounce the noise back at me.

I'm thinking of dropping the transmission pan and replacing the fluid and filter and see how that changes things. The transmission temp sensor and transmission controller were replaced at about 130,000 miles (as I recall from the lexus driver site maintenance records). Maybe they underfilled it which I heard can cause issues. The more I think about it, I think it would be best to just open it up and do the fluid and filter so I know what I have.

I also got one of those automotive stethescopes and listened to some of the bearings to see if they sound bad. I did hear some slight sounds on most, but one was noticeable louder. I did this quickly and haven't had time to figure out which bearing it was to see if maybe the water pump is going. Also, the maintenance records don't seem to indicate that the accessory belt was ever replaced. AT 165,000 miles maybe it's due. But I don't want to just go off changing things without some evidence of wear.
Old 03-07-20, 02:53 AM
Popgun
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexmart, changing the transmission fluid on these cars is not as simple as dropping the pan and then adding fluid. There is a VERY specific procedure for it and specific temperature the fluid has to be. Its a PIA to do. Do some research first to avoid disappointment. Hopefully some more knowledgeable members will chime in on this. If your Lexus dealer doesn’t want to do it, check with a Toyota dealer.

Some of the ticking could be the injectors in normal operation. Not sure how loud it is on my car. I’ll have to listen sometime. On motorcycles, with the engine exposed, it can be pretty loud freaking out newer riders or those not familiar with fuel injection.
Old 03-08-20, 10:28 AM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Popgun
Lexmart, changing the transmission fluid on these cars is not as simple as dropping the pan and then adding fluid. There is a VERY specific procedure for it and specific temperature the fluid has to be. Its a PIA to do. Do some research first to avoid disappointment. Hopefully some more knowledgeable members will chime in on this. If your Lexus dealer doesn’t want to do it, check with a Toyota dealer.

Some of the ticking could be the injectors in normal operation. Not sure how loud it is on my car. I’ll have to listen sometime. On motorcycles, with the engine exposed, it can be pretty loud freaking out newer riders or those not familiar with fuel injection.
Popgun, yeah I've watched lots of videos about the procedure for ensuring the correct levels after filling, involving the scantools to read the fluid temperature. Even so, I'm thinking of trying it to see if it helps, and if nothing else, to know exactly what's inside that pan (on the magents). I may even send the fluid in for an analysis, again for knowledge. I'm a willing DIYer, but proceed cautiously when doing so. So, that means I keep thinking about it, trying to minimize the potential disappointment.

I've been watching videos on ticking and rod knock. I'll try to record what I hear in the cabin when the windows are rolled up and the car idling and upload it here. I will say that I don't really hear it unless I'm in the cabin with the windows rolled up. When I have the car running and the hood open, I can't hear any real knocking. But again, I'll record and upload.

I'm just having some fun tinkering. The car runs perfectly fine. It's just my engineering curiosity making me wonder if I can improve it a bit.