noise from brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 08:48 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default noise from brakes

hi guys
i am having something that is really anoying and also worrying maybe something is wrong or maybe it is just common for the vehicle to do since its a hybrid and it has to do with braking perhaps.
The thing i am noticing it gets more and moreover the past few weeks
but there is a squeaking sound almost like a squeegee going across a dry class services of when you walk with shoes and slide the sole against a polished floor and get a squeaky noise it's not happening especially when breaking its at slower speeds it could be when coming to a stop and also when lightly lifting up on the brakes to move and then braking again it used to happen once in a while now it happens a lot more often is this sound familiar anyone have this issue happen?

Thank you
Old 03-18-20, 04:49 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like brake dust has built up in/around the pads & rotors. Or the pads are worn down to the indicators, which means you need new brake pads.
Old 03-18-20, 08:12 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by JimInTN
Sounds like brake dust has built up in/around the pads & rotors. Or the pads are worn down to the indicators, which means you need new brake pads.
I remember like 4000 miles ago when I had my last oil change they just did a quick break inspection also and I specifically asked them to check and let me know what the sickness of my brake pads work and they told me I have 7 mm in the Font and I had about 9 mm in the back and that was only 4000 miles ago but I have noticed that this car has made this type of annoys her about the past 40,000 miles but it was usually just once in a while now it’s getting more often so that’s why I was thinking I’m wondering if it’s because of some components due to the hybrid braking system
9 mm in the back and that was only 4000 miles ago but I have noticed that this car has made this type of annoys her about the past 40,000 miles but it was usually just once in a while now it’s getting more often so that’s why I was thinking I’m wondering if it’s because of some components due to the hybrid braking system
I am making this post from my phone which doesn’t do great at punctuation and grammar and spell Chuck I apologize because I know some people really think that it’s bad and that I’m not a great person I guess or don’t reply because they see that I can’t spell so they automatically assume I’m lazy I will go through and edit it once I get home on my computer later today or tonight
thank you
Old 03-18-20, 09:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Remember, on a hybrid the actual mechanical brakes only engage when you press hard on the petal or at the last few moments before a full stop. When you brake normally (gently), the motor generator is engaging. With that in mind, I doubt it is the brakes that you are hearing. Hybrids typically have a little bit of a whine even when you aren't braking, although I can't hear it unless the windows are down at low speeds (or one drives by when I am walking). My wife and I virtually never drive with the windows down so we don't ever hear it. That mild whine should not be loud or very pronounced though so if you are hearing it inside the car with the windows up and/or any music playing, I would definitely have it checked out - especially if you think the sound is getting louder.
Old 03-18-20, 09:27 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by TechNut
Remember, on a hybrid the actual mechanical brakes only engage when you press hard on the petal or at the last few moments before a full stop. When you brake normally (gently), the motor generator is engaging. With that in mind, I doubt it is the brakes that you are hearing. Hybrids typically have a little bit of a whine even when you aren't braking, although I can't hear it unless the windows are down at low speeds (or one drives by when I am walking). My wife and I virtually never drive with the windows down so we don't ever hear it. That mild whine should not be loud or very pronounced though so if you are hearing it inside the car with the windows up and/or any music playing, I would definitely have it checked out - especially if you think the sound is getting louder.
thank you
I just went online made an appointment for my dealership this week to look at it cause I can hear it with the music on and windows closed
also soemtimes when I’m at a complete stop not all the time but soemtimes if I double pump or lift off really lift up the. Back down so just bump the brakes I hear this noise but it is not the noise when you hear air that’s not it it’s a louder noise like when you slide rubber sole shoes on Presley waxed floor time of Squeegee noise almost
Old 03-18-20, 02:38 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Now I wish tomorrow came sooner cause this noise just got more weird like I put my foot on the break held the break down shifted from part to drive without moving the brake peddle pressure was still pressed down same pressure and this noise appeared during the shifting
and it is coming from the driver footwell area that I’m positive off
Old 03-19-20, 12:22 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

How could I attach a video file here that has a audio of this noise ?
Old 03-19-20, 02:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Pretty sure that's just really clean (not really dirty) brake rotors scrubbing against the pads. like if it recently rained or something. honestly its nothing to worry about if its just a rapid grab/release sensation like when you stop or release the brake as the car moves forward. just drive it a while it'll go away.
Old 03-19-20, 02:56 PM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
How could I attach a video file here that has a audio of this noise ?
What I do is upload video to youtube and then paste a link on the thread here.
Old 03-19-20, 03:30 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by ESully
What I do is upload video to youtube and then paste a link on the thread here.
thank you I will do that when home and at computer

dealership was not able to reproduce but about 20 minutes after I left started doing it
and today it did it after I stoped like I stoped at a red light at about 5 seconds after complete stop it happened