ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Missing inner door grab handle carpet piece...see post for explanation

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 02:42 PM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently bought a 17 ES. It was missing the passenger front. Salesman had one shipped to me but it was for the wrong door so now I have an extra one at least. Still waiting on the right one to show up as it was reordered. From what I could tell they just rest down in the handle. Nothing really to hold them in. They seem to come out of my wife’s 09 RX pretty frequently.
Old 04-03-20, 10:23 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by plainview
Recently bought a 17 ES. It was missing the passenger front. Salesman had one shipped to me but it was for the wrong door so now I have an extra one at least. Still waiting on the right one to show up as it was reordered. From what I could tell they just rest down in the handle. Nothing really to hold them in. They seem to come out of my wife’s 09 RX pretty frequently.
Mine 20174 ES350 made in Kentucky is just lay there . There is nothing to hold it in place lol So vacuum can easily suck it up lol

Wish mine it's made in Japan Q_Q
Old 04-06-20, 08:39 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok I finally got my car dirty enough to vacuum and sure enough the vac sucks the door liner right out. I was also curious......my car was made in Kentucky.......Im sure that has nothing to do with this issue though. I sure hope our USA Kentucky'ins can build em as good as they do in Japan....fingers crossed.
Old 04-07-20, 06:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Helped a buddy of mine buy a CPO 2016 ES last week, two of those carpeted pieces were missing.
Old 04-07-20, 07:39 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

There u go....so we have effectively solved this mystery. Hey since I got totally screwed on my 2016 ES purchase maybe we can compare notes just so I can confirm again how screwed I got I do love my car.....and I really fell in love with the Nebula gray with black roof 2 tone.......so I am trying to tell myself that my car was a unique combo of sorts. Thats a tough theory because I see them driving down the road quite frequently......when I see them I just say ehhhhhh they prob dont have the double sunroof or the black interior. Anyway.....as I mentioned in another post when oi bought my car I was there to see a totally different car and wasnt versed on the pricing of the ES.....I was declining the car I was there to see when I literally bumped into this ES. I purchased from a dealer that sells from inside a massive warehouse and the car was under fluorescent lights........man o man...Nebula Grey pearl looks awesome under those lights.......so she got me...it was love at first site.
But I made several mistakes.............

I didnt know the pricing of the car.....previously I had shopped for a GS not an ES
If I had purchased from a Lexus dealer I could have got an extended warranty CPO but I got nothing
They didnt show me the Carfax til we were already in the paperwork phase then they revealed the car had been in an accident unbelievable.
It was owned in New Jersey.......I never buy from New York or New Jersey.....I just dont trust those regions not too mention the salt issue
I liked the car so much that I wouldnt let myself walk away........there is always another car out there.......

To me those are all of the things I research hard to avoid...I have purchased many many cars and am somewhat savvy. This was just a impulse purchase all the way......and it was after a month of hardcore car shopping so I was ready to explode.

The good...........
21k on the odometer
Michelin tires all worn evenly plenty of meat left
I looked at the accident area of the car for 30 min and could not find a blemish
The wheels I originally did not like...are now what makes my car stand out.
The color combo w black interior / white double stitching is sharp
Not a scratch or ding on the car anywhere.

What i found out when I got home and a few days after...............if u buy an ES with just a few more miles say 35K it drastically reduces the cost of the car.....like under 20k in some cases. No doubt if I had to do it over again I would have purchased from Lexus...and purchased a higher mileage car for the 5k discount.

Now after that ramble........sock it to me....what kind of deal did u score for your buddy......I know your a car guy so I am sure u done good.

The following users liked this post:
plainview (04-10-20)
Old 04-07-20, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was about $25k, CPO, 40k miles, clean carfax no accidents. Upgraded interior, 18" wheels and glass roof like yours. They also repainted a mirror, buffed out some stuff, replaced those carpeted pieces among other things

Yeah especially with the ES, they are everywhere. My dealer had like 20 16-18 ES350s. I had helped him buy the same car last year and he totaled it, he wanted this car because it was the exact same car.

Yeah, going a little higher on miles always makes luxury cars a lot cheaper. People always want real low mileage ones.
plainview (04-10-20)
Old 04-07-20, 07:57 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I must admit when I see one with like 12k miles on it I really want it!!!! I wish I could stop looking at the ads from time to time but I like to keep my finger on the pulse of the market for some reason. Agreed ES models are everywhere....they scored extremely high in consumer reports as they always do.......and if you buy used as we did......you basically get a Lexus for half price. My dealer gives you a " copy " of the original window sticker.....mine stickered for 46k which is really the only thing that helps me justify paying over 25k for it. I think I will go fire her up and go for a cruise while the sun is still out....big storms coming this eve.....
plainview (04-10-20)
Old 04-07-20, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

At the end of the day, dont fret over what you paid. Its done, just enjoy the car.
plainview (04-10-20)
Old 04-08-20, 06:09 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Cool

First a thread about the foot well area and how there is no covering in an area that I would not have noticed without a thread posted on it, and now a thread that made me look inside my door handle for a tiny piece of carpet.
The ES 350 is just too reliable and encourages people to nit pick small details. Forums for my other cars are much more entertaining with actual engine and drive train problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESully:
BamaWaz (04-12-20), plainview (04-10-20)
Old 04-08-20, 06:46 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ya true......thanks SW17
Old 04-08-20, 10:03 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

ES350 such a nice car, love it

Last edited by KuroYuki; 04-08-20 at 10:07 PM.
dxkendall (05-06-20)
Old 04-09-20, 04:12 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Another possibility is replacement of a door lock actuator. Toyota has had a run of failures with them on several different vehicles.
Old 04-12-20, 08:20 AM
BamaWaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m OCD so I noticed the one in back seat on driver’s side was missing when I was at dealership buying the car. They had no problem at all finding me a replacement and installing it before finalizing the deal. Truthfully, I think they robbed it from another vehicle on the lot.

Waz
Old 04-17-20, 08:58 AM
Sebas350
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I found them a while back

My ES was missing them too, so I replaced all 4. Here are the part numbers

The following 3 users liked this post by Sebas350:
Albo (04-18-20), dxkendall (05-07-20), NdYAG (04-17-20)
Old 04-26-20, 04:37 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Ok I finally got my car dirty enough to vacuum and sure enough the vac sucks the door liner right out. I was also curious......my car was made in Kentucky.......Im sure that has nothing to do with this issue though. I sure hope our USA Kentucky'ins can build em as good as they do in Japan....fingers crossed.
I hope so too!
But I feel Japan will always be Higher quality because of the people working there lol Craftsmanship it's different...unless the Employees are from Japan working in Kentucky~

Quick Reply: Missing inner door grab handle carpet piece...see post for explanation