ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lower gear to slow down the car instead of using brake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 08:03 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Lower gear to slow down the car instead of using brake?

Hello folks, Let's say I want to slow the car without grinding brake pad...So I just lower the gear.
Will that damage my engine ?
Old 04-07-20, 06:33 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As much as I like to "downshift" myself, having owned many manual transmission cars, and not knowing the true consequences of doing so on this transmission, I've decided brake pads are cheaper than a transmission to replace if you catch my drift. I'll use a low gear when in stop-and-go traffic and the GPS tells me traffic is thick for miles and miles ahead. That's when the engine braking effect comes in handy over and over again.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickAz (04-07-20)
Old 04-07-20, 07:12 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

The only time I downshift my '14 ES 350 is in mountain driving to prevent overheating the brakes on steep downhill grades. No apparent engine or transmission damage in 72k miles. Original brake pads still good at last service at Lexus.
PatrickAz (04-19-20)
Old 04-07-20, 07:26 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsteve7
As much as I like to "downshift" myself, having owned many manual transmission cars, and not knowing the true consequences of doing so on this transmission, I've decided brake pads are cheaper than a transmission to replace if you catch my drift. I'll use a low gear when in stop-and-go traffic and the GPS tells me traffic is thick for miles and miles ahead. That's when the engine braking effect comes in handy over and over again.
Agreed. As much as I do downshift here and there, the point is that brakes are cheaper than a burned up transmission. Use your brakes. =)
jamestpc (04-09-20)
Old 04-07-20, 09:46 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
The only time I downshift my '14 ES 350 is in mountain driving to prevent overheating the brakes on steep downhill grades. No apparent engine or transmission damage in 72k miles. Original brake pads still good at last service at Lexus.
Agreed. In our new hybrid ES it even has paddle shifters. I was laughing at those paddle shifters on a hybrid until I made the first mountain drive and realized just how useful they are in that environment. Downshifting to prevent overheating or your brakes is common practice on mountain roads, but I typically don't drop it more than one gear in order to avoid over-revving the engine. Dropping it only a single gear is based on my opinion and I am not a mechanic so take this advice for what it is worth. I have found that dropping it one gear helps slow the car down, and then I don't have to put nearly as much pressure on the brakes, and generally only intermittent pressure depending on the grade and speed.

Our Priuses had a specific position on the gear shift for engine braking so I am assuming this "engine braking" philosophy is still accurate with our Lexus hybrids, even though they have a more conventional gear shift lever/indicator.

Just some food for thought...
Old 04-08-20, 11:34 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The car will prevent you from downshifting to a gear that would put engine RPMs too high and the transmission in peril and will sound an audible tone as if to say "Don't think so!"

Last edited by mrsteve7; 04-09-20 at 08:40 AM.
TechNut (04-08-20)
Old 04-08-20, 11:48 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

You can, safely for sure, but I thought brake pads were cheaper then powertrain components?
Old 04-08-20, 09:58 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

so I had a Prius before ES350. I always use the Prius B gear to slow down the car instead of braking lol It won't damage Engine as they claim. But I Just want to make sure it won't damage ES350 lol
Old 04-09-20, 04:27 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a scangauge 2 installed in mine and it has transmission temperature. If you could see how the temps rise by doing this you would be surprised. Even mildly spirited driving will push the temp over 200 degrees. I think the idea behind downshifting to aid braking on hills and mountains is so the brakes do not overheat and fail. Trucks use this for heavy loads and very steep grades. I will do it occasionally in my trucks when towing.

IMHO unless it is rarely used for safety I would not do it. The engine will be fine, the trans will get hot.
Old 04-13-20, 10:08 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i drive in the mountains and the only time i have used a lower gear in the Hybrid is when going down a step hill on the mountain road i will put it into 4th soemtimes shift it into 3rd for engine braking
but wondeirng how about using manual mode to shift to safeon brake pads also
Old 04-18-20, 12:05 AM
KuroYuki
Driver

Originally Posted by rmak
I have a scangauge 2 installed in mine and it has transmission temperature. If you could see how the temps rise by doing this you would be surprised. Even mildly spirited driving will push the temp over 200 degrees. I think the idea behind downshifting to aid braking on hills and mountains is so the brakes do not overheat and fail. Trucks use this for heavy loads and very steep grades. I will do it occasionally in my trucks when towing.

IMHO unless it is rarely used for safety I would not do it. The engine will be fine, the trans will get hot.
Thanks...So I guess you suggest NOT to DO it
Old 04-18-20, 04:07 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by KuroYuki
Thanks...So I guess you suggest NOT to DO it
Correct, due to heat and wear. Fluid gets too hot and it is unnecessary IMHO.
Old 04-19-20, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I wouldn't do it in normal driving, no. When driving in the mountains and trying to combat brake fading thats another story.
Old 04-20-20, 10:44 PM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done it before in my previous car, only on a few occasions where it was snowing and I was going less then 30 miles per hour. My tires were all-season and I wanted the extra assurance that my car wouldn't accelerate drifting down a hill and braking would cause sliding. It's probably OK under slow speeds and rare occasions.
Old 04-22-20, 07:24 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Dont do it unless it is a hybrid. Brakes are cheap. Transmissions are expensive.

Quick Reply: Lower gear to slow down the car instead of using brake?