ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lowered - alignment oddity

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 10:45 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lowered - alignment oddity

So I have camry springs, as do many others, installed in my car (H&R). I took it for an alignment today and the guy notes that only the left side (I guess it depends on which order your springs are installed?) is out of camber. The right side is fine. There is no adjustment for camber on our cars unless you change out the control arms.

Wondering if anyone else has noted this?

Thanks...
Old 05-19-20, 12:05 PM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

so it seems my entire left side is negative camber about 1 degree off. Anyone else ever find this?

right side is within spec.
Old 05-19-20, 03:02 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Lowering a car with no other changes will result in negative camber. Not sure why the left side is only showing negative, sounds strange to me. Should be both. 1 degree of negative is not bad and can actually help handling. You can sometimes adjust the toe to counter the tire wear of negative camber a little bit.

If the springs have recently been installed, did the installer re-clock the bushings? This is when you loosen the bolts for the a-arm bushings/control arms etc. so that they can move without binding as the car is lowered. Then after setting the car down and settling the weight you tighten them back up. Some bushings are stuck and when lowered the bushing rubber will distort/tear. This can also result in uneven stance. Just a thought.
Old 05-20-20, 09:41 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rmak
Lowering a car with no other changes will result in negative camber. Not sure why the left side is only showing negative, sounds strange to me. Should be both. 1 degree of negative is not bad and can actually help handling. You can sometimes adjust the toe to counter the tire wear of negative camber a little bit.

If the springs have recently been installed, did the installer re-clock the bushings? This is when you loosen the bolts for the a-arm bushings/control arms etc. so that they can move without binding as the car is lowered. Then after setting the car down and settling the weight you tighten them back up. Some bushings are stuck and when lowered the bushing rubber will distort/tear. This can also result in uneven stance. Just a thought.
Good to know - i suppose i can simply loosen the bolts and see if anything relaxes?
Old 05-20-20, 10:05 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestpc
Good to know - i suppose i can simply loosen the bolts and see if anything relaxes?
Depends on how long it has been lowered, if it has been a while it has probably already settled by itself. Also, did you install the springs? I would not suggest someone do this without the proper tools and experience.

It could also be the alignment equipment / technician. As I said, very weird for only one side to be off.

Just trying to give you ideas. Does the car sit uneven?
Old 05-20-20, 10:14 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

I think its been 2 years now its been dropped. I've done alignments twice i think? I had a shop install the springs for me (have used shop on lowering my other cars too).

Doesn't sit oddly at all to be honest. I'm fairly handy when it comes to wrenching so i'm not worried about that. I was hoping the other lowered es guys would chime in if they had the same issue.