ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 Ultra & 245/45R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20 | 03:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Default 2013 Ultra & 245/45R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S

Just to share. I have always run only Michelin tire only on all my cars for years and years. Michelin are #1 IMO. Problem is they now wear real fast for the price. Now matter which type Michelins you get, in spite of Alignment and Rotate and Balance.

There is a Michelin I would have used again which is the Defender T+H that has a 80k - 90k Tread wear. Yes I know it would not last 90k. I have been using them in 17's on my Daughters Accord. They ride Great, are quite handle good in dry and rain and all the way around. They don't make them in 18" for my ES.

So I did some looking and reading and decided to run the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S.Plus as they have a 70k Tread wear Rating. I was a little hesitant due to seeing a few reviews saying not so great in rain. Others say no problem. I also always felt the stock size was just too small. So I moved up to 245/45/18. Had them on for about a year now. Great Tires. Very happy with them. Ride nice. Car feels more secure with the upgraded size and looks much better too. Drove many trips and got caught in major rain storm rivers. They were perfectly planted at speed in deep water highway driving. Great Traction. If there is anything I would say vs the Michelins, I would have to give the Michelins a slight edge in being a little more quite, and a little smoother over bumps. Not to take away from the P7's they are still quite and smooth. And.... they are wearing very slowly and lasting. That's the best thing to me. A tire I like that is lasting long.

Wondering if any other upgraded tire size to 245/45/18 from the Stock Ultra 225/45/18? Which tire did you run? Also oddly enough my speedo was off with the Stock 225/45/18. Now its within 1mph, and as an added bonus, I am racking up odometer miles, just a little slower too!
Old 07-14-20 | 03:51 PM
Jasones350
Rookie

How does it look??

Old 07-16-20 | 12:37 AM
Poppa
Instructor

I have the same size pirelli tires on my ES and love them. Like you I always used Michelin tires on my other cars but decided to give the Perilli tires a try. I do think that the Michelin tires might have been a hair smoother, but not by much, and certainly not enough of a difference to justify the difference in cost. The tires that came with my ES were HORRIBLE. I absolutely hated those Bridgestone Turanza's.... rough riding and noisy pieces of crap. I have no problem recommending the Pirelli tires.. The only other tire I might consider on a trial basis next time around would be the Yokahama Avid Ascend. I have Yokohama's on my 4 Runner and they are Smoooooooth...
Old 07-18-20 | 02:16 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just to share. I have always run only Michelin tire only on all my cars for years and years. Michelin are #1 IMO. Problem is they now wear real fast for the price. Now matter which type Michelins you get, in spite of Alignment and Rotate and Balance.

There is a Michelin I would have used again which is the Defender T+H that has a 80k - 90k Tread wear. Yes I know it would not last 90k. I have been using them in 17's on my Daughters Accord. They ride Great, are quite handle good in dry and rain and all the way around. They don't make them in 18" for my ES.

So I did some looking and reading and decided to run the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S.Plus as they have a 70k Tread wear Rating. I was a little hesitant due to seeing a few reviews saying not so great in rain. Others say no problem. I also always felt the stock size was just too small. So I moved up to 245/45/18. Had them on for about a year now. Great Tires. Very happy with them. Ride nice. Car feels more secure with the upgraded size and looks much better too. Drove many trips and got caught in major rain storm rivers. They were perfectly planted at speed in deep water highway driving. Great Traction. If there is anything I would say vs the Michelins, I would have to give the Michelins a slight edge in being a little more quite, and a little smoother over bumps. Not to take away from the P7's they are still quite and smooth. And.... they are wearing very slowly and lasting. That's the best thing to me. A tire I like that is lasting long.

Wondering if any other upgraded tire size to 245/45/18 from the Stock Ultra 225/45/18? Which tire did you run? Also oddly enough my speedo was off with the Stock 225/45/18. Now its within 1mph, and as an added bonus, I am racking up odometer miles, just a little slower too!
I currently have yokohama 215/55/17 tires that came on the car. I was getting ready to replace them with michelin 225/55/17's. The Yokohama's seem very noisy. After reading your post I am considering Pirelli cinturato all season plus II in 245/50/17. That size would be almost identical to the 245/45/18's that you are running. I am just checking to make sure that you are not experiencing any clearance issues. It seems that there is plenty of room, but just asking to be sure. The added size will be wider and a touch taller than my original, which is what I am looking for.
Old 07-19-20 | 08:35 PM
st1800
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmak
I currently have yokohama 215/55/17 tires that came on the car. I was getting ready to replace them with michelin 225/55/17's. The Yokohama's seem very noisy. After reading your post I am considering Pirelli cinturato all season plus II in 245/50/17. That size would be almost identical to the 245/45/18's that you are running. I am just checking to make sure that you are not experiencing any clearance issues. It seems that there is plenty of room, but just asking to be sure. The added size will be wider and a touch taller than my original, which is what I am looking for.
try this for an answer.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Old 07-20-20 | 03:12 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by st1800
try this for an answer.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Thank you, definitely helps
Old 07-22-20 | 12:24 PM
abrown0809
Driver

I'm getting Continental Pure Contact LS Eco Plus installed tomorrow. I will let you guys now how they ride. Tire Rack reviews on them are pretty good. I have some brand called Vogue tire on them right now (came with the car) and they are okay at best. They rid smooth on nice pavement but they crash over bumps.
The following 3 users liked this post by abrown0809:
Jasones350 (07-22-20), lji (12-24-21), Poppa (07-23-20)
Old 07-23-20 | 02:04 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by abrown0809
I'm getting Continental Pure Contact LS Eco Plus installed tomorrow. I will let you guys now how they ride..
Yes, please let us know. I've read some nice reviews on the Continental Pure Contact... I would really like to hear what you think of them.

Roland
Old 07-24-20 | 01:29 PM
abrown0809
Driver

Originally Posted by Poppa
Yes, please let us know. I've read some nice reviews on the Continental Pure Contact... I would really like to hear what you think of them.

Roland
So I ended up with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+ 2. The shop did not have any of the Continentals left, and I did not want to wait for them to order more. I love these tires so far. They ride way nicer than the Vogue I had before. Thing is, I am comparing a name brand tire with a no name, so take this with a grain of salt. Reviews said wet traction on the P7s are bad, so I will find out the next time it rains here.
Old 07-26-20 | 09:49 PM
RxDuderino
Rookie

Looking at going with 18X8 or 18X8.5 and the 245/45-18 size tire. Any fitment issues on stock suspension? Don't want any rubbing at full lock or over bumps and such. Speedometer error of about 0.7mph at 60 doesn't concern me, I just don't want any clearance problems. Thanks.
Old 07-27-20 | 01:40 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by abrown0809
So I ended up with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+ 2. The shop did not have any of the Continentals left, and I did not want to wait for them to order more. I love these tires so far. They ride way nicer than the Vogue I had before. Thing is, I am comparing a name brand tire with a no name, so take this with a grain of salt. Reviews said wet traction on the P7s are bad, so I will find out the next time it rains here.
The Pirelli's are really good tires. They ride very nice, and I'm glad I put them on my car. I put mine on nearly 4 years ( 21K miles ) ago and they're still great. To be honest I havent noticed them being bad on wet traction, but then again, I'm in my mid 60's so I'm not burning up the roads either. Don't blame you for not waiting on the Continentals.. You got a good tire. It's not important now but one of the tires that I've seen get a lot of good reviews on was the VREDESTEINQUATRAC PRO. I never heard of them, but the reviews are favorable. Then again, I'm not one that normally buys something from a company I've never heard of. Enjoy those Pirelli's... I think you will be very happy with them.

Roland
Old 07-31-20 | 08:34 AM
NachoNYC
Driver

I had the Pirelli, they were quiet and smooth over bumps, BUT every time I would accelerate hard from a dead stop the wheels would slip. I can't have that being in the Northeast.

Switched to the Michellin Premier and they are claws! Very grippy.

MICHELIN PREMIER A/S 215/55R17 94V BSW MICH PERFORMANCE H/V
Old 07-31-20 | 11:52 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by NachoNYC
I had the Pirelli, they were quiet and smooth over bumps, BUT every time I would accelerate hard from a dead stop the wheels would slip. I can't have that being in the Northeast.

Switched to the Michellin Premier and they are claws! Very grippy.

MICHELIN PREMIER A/S 215/55R17 94V BSW MICH PERFORMANCE H/V

Nacho.... how's the ride on the premiers..softer or aggressive...what about road noise.
Old 08-01-20 | 03:34 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Poppa
Nacho.... how's the ride on the premiers..softer or aggressive...what about road noise.

I am between michelin premier and pirelli's for my next set. The new pirelli A/S +2 is supposed to be great and good treawear. Would also love to hear feedback on the premier.
Old 08-01-20 | 03:58 PM
NachoNYC
Driver

Aggressive, very assertive.
Gas mileage is not as good as the Pirelli, last summer I averaged 38 mpg, this summer with the Michellin I'm at 34 mpg. The tread pattern is for dissipating water better, they call it WetGrip. And the braking distance was several feet shorter than the Pirellis. Safety was most important and traction were my top buying criteria.
Being it's a 300h hybrid with the unique brakes and heavier weight, it took me some time to get use to the braking distance compared to conventional braking systems.

Some more info on them here;
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pr...tureNote2Type0

Road noise is not existent with both tires imo, might be because it's my first Lexus but it's a pleasant, quiet ride with both on crappy NJ Turnpike and Parkway roads, I never hear highway noise.

I've heard Michellin wear faster, I'm ok with sacrificing longevity for security. I got them from Costco so free rotation, repair, and legendary return/warranty service.
The Pirelli P7 looked cooler, almost like a sleek Ferrari tire, the Michellin has the tread teeth on the edging. Again, smooth on the bumps, just the constant slippage had me worried. Probably not a problem in drier climates.

Data from TireRack:
Michelin Premier A/S(Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
  • What We Liked: Excellent wet and good winter weather grip
  • What We'd Improve: A small increase in ultimate dry traction
  • Conclusion: A very good blend of comfort and traction
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus(Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
  • What We Liked: A very smooth and quiet ride plus good winter traction
  • What We'd Improve: Moderate increase in wet traction
  • Conclusion: One of the best-riding Grand Touring All-Season tires

Last edited by NachoNYC; 08-01-20 at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rmak (08-02-20)

Quick Reply: 2013 Ultra & 245/45R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S