ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Services 3G disconued end of the year in 2022

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 06:00 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Lexus Services 3G disconued end of the year in 2022

Hi im wondering if anyone else here is aware of the fact that in late 2022 there will be no more services for Lexus Destination assist Saftey connected Remote Services for those of us who have model years that use 3G services.
first off i noticed when reason on Lexus website about this it was still going to be available on most 2018 models since the only 2018 model vehicle that uses 3G services is the GX the others will still be active so the question is what is it about the 2018 ES that is different from the 2016 and 2017 which is the same Generation 6th gen don't all 3 of these still use the same navigation and audio system and all or is it different.
2nd question would it be possible to take the receiver from a 2018 ES model and replace the 3G receiver in my 2016 with whatever parts from a 2018 so i would still have access to Destination assist safety connect and remote services?

Old 06-22-20, 12:28 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
Hi im wondering if anyone else here is aware of the fact that in late 2022 there will be no more services for Lexus Destination assist Saftey connected Remote Services for those of us who have model years that use 3G services.
first off i noticed when reason on Lexus website about this it was still going to be available on most 2018 models since the only 2018 model vehicle that uses 3G services is the GX the others will still be active so the question is what is it about the 2018 ES that is different from the 2016 and 2017 which is the same Generation 6th gen don't all 3 of these still use the same navigation and audio system and all or is it different.
2nd question would it be possible to take the receiver from a 2018 ES model and replace the 3G receiver in my 2016 with whatever parts from a 2018 so i would still have access to Destination assist safety connect and remote services?
See here https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...=190,1594,1752

The following users liked this post:
lesz (06-22-20)
Old 06-22-20, 02:52 PM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

These are pretty new cars to sunset tech like this already. Hopefully Lexus learns a lesson (via customer outcry) not to make stuff like remote start dependent on cell networks anymore. Kinda pathetic that my wife's 2012 Hyundai will not lose its remote start capability, ever, but my Lexus will.

For myself, I'll be getting a Compustar remote start/alarm installed. My local installer'll do it for $500 and the remote has about half a mile of range. Might even bump up to the 3 mile range one for a bit more. I've got an old Compustar alarm on my MR2. Had it since 2005 and the thing's been excellent the whole time, and they weren't lying about the range on that thing. I can arm and disarm from 5+ blocks away. And if I want to do cell phone-based remote starts, I can do it with that one for 4 bucks a month, which is almost 4 times less than what I'm paying Lexus.

I wouldn't want to be the guy at the dealership who has to deal with all the people who bought their cars 2 years ago who are now finding out that their remote start capabilities are going away.

Last edited by Eslader; 06-22-20 at 03:10 PM.
jollick (06-22-20)
Old 06-22-20, 04:41 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Eslader
These are pretty new cars to sunset tech like this already. Hopefully Lexus learns a lesson (via customer outcry) not to make stuff like remote start dependent on cell networks anymore. Kinda pathetic that my wife's 2012 Hyundai will not lose its remote start capability, ever, but my Lexus will.

For myself, I'll be getting a Compustar remote start/alarm installed. My local installer'll do it for $500 and the remote has about half a mile of range. Might even bump up to the 3 mile range one for a bit more. I've got an old Compustar alarm on my MR2. Had it since 2005 and the thing's been excellent the whole time, and they weren't lying about the range on that thing. I can arm and disarm from 5+ blocks away. And if I want to do cell phone-based remote starts, I can do it with that one for 4 bucks a month, which is almost 4 times less than what I'm paying Lexus.

I wouldn't want to be the guy at the dealership who has to deal with all the people who bought their cars 2 years ago who are now finding out that their remote start capabilities are going away.
I had Compustart in my 2007 ES had remote service from phone or sucked was always having issue with it they had to reset the single to the car every week it was insane never anything but issues with that thing

and what I’m really upset about is that I’ll loose access to Saftey connect and destination assist I use those a lot destination assist
Old 06-22-20, 04:43 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jollick
yes I’m aware that’s what I was reading already just didn’t remember the exact dates but the issue is I’m wondering if a 2018 ES300H is not going to loose these services can I take the recover for the wireless operations that runs on the signal that’s not 3G from a 2018 and use that to replace mine ? Like same cars all is the same accept this I guess so I’m wondering can I remote the antennas and the FPS signal recover and that and use one from a junkyard 2018 parts and put them in my 2016 ?
or will that not work ?
Old 06-22-20, 07:22 PM
Eslader
Driver

It probably wouldn't work if for no other reason than you'd give Lexus your VIN and they'd say "Nope, 2016's don't work anymore, see ya!"

And it would probably cost you as much as or more than just having an aftermarket system put in.

I had Compustart in my 2007 ES had remote service from phone or sucked was always having issue with it they had to reset the single to the car every week it was insane never anything but issues with that thing

and what I’m really upset about is that I’ll loose access to Saftey connect and destination assist I use those a lot destination assist
Surprised to hear that about a Compustar. But then I probably won't even subscribe. I only ever remote start it from work in the middle of winter, and all it has to do is get a signal to the other side of the building.

And don't get me wrong, I'm highly annoyed at this development too - after all, they sold us these cars with the idea that the features would not expire - at least not while the car is still fairly new and viable. IMO they should come up with some sort of compensation, because yanking back features that customers paid for is more Tesla than Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eslader:
DavoLBC (09-25-20), jollick (06-23-20)
Old 06-22-20, 10:17 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

i wrote a letter to lexus so waiting for them to reply back usually they reply in a day or two
but after looking into it more its not Lexus that's doing this i understand what you mean its more like tesla than Lexus to do this sort of stuff but again i don't think its Lexus doing its Verizon telling Lexus that it wont be supported anymore i think its 3G service all over is just not going to be happening anymore kind of like how back in 2000-2001 any of the cars that had Analog and not Digital or GSM such as GM onstart was all disconnected same thing happening now just with 3G now being obsolete.
still it sucks and im not happy
I am thinking of trading in my car because im about to hit 100K and well i know the cars already lost value due to Covid cause dealership are already starting to lowball even more due to it being a buyers market not a sellers market but my KBB trading with 89k on it i was told trade in was 13,500 im like WTF seriously i just paid 23K for this 2016 in agusut last year with 34k on it. like i know miles will also cause Value to drop but this sucks
but at the same time 2019s are dropping down also so might just trade it in and buy a 2019 for around 30k
Originally Posted by Eslader
It probably wouldn't work if for no other reason than you'd give Lexus your VIN and they'd say "Nope, 2016's don't work anymore, see ya!"

And it would probably cost you as much as or more than just having an aftermarket system put in.

Surprised to hear that about a Compustar. But then I probably won't even subscribe. I only ever remote start it from work in the middle of winter, and all it has to do is get a signal to the other side of the building.

And don't get me wrong, I'm highly annoyed at this development too - after all, they sold us these cars with the idea that the features would not expire - at least not while the car is still fairly new and viable. IMO they should come up with some sort of compensation, because yanking back features that customers paid for is more Tesla than Lexus.
Old 06-23-20, 08:41 AM
Eslader
Driver

It's definitely true that Lexus didn't decide to terminate 3g service. But it's been known for a long time that 3g would sunset (it was originally going to sunset this year but got delayed) which means they should have put an LTE modem in the cars instead of the relatively ancient 3g ones. Or do what Hyundai does and make it satellite-based.
The following 3 users liked this post by Eslader:
1rubyd (01-13-21), DavoLBC (09-25-20), jollick (06-23-20)
Old 06-23-20, 10:19 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

i was told trade in was 13,500 im like WTF seriously i just paid 23K for this 2016 in agusut last year with 34k on it. like i know miles will also cause Value to drop but this sucks
A 3 or 4 year old ES loses about $1000 in value for every 9000 or so miles on the odometer. So, that means that the 56,000 miles that you have put on the car since you bought it accounts for about $6200 of the value that you have lost on the car since you bought it. The rest of the loss in value is reasonable, considering that the car is now almost a year older than it was when you bought it and that, when you bought it, you were paying the retail price, but, when you are trading it, you are only getting the trade-in value.
Old 06-23-20, 10:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

what I’m really upset about is that I’ll loose access to Saftey connect and destination assist I use those a lot destination assist
Even if the Destination Assist will no longer be available to you, you will still be able to use the free Destination Search app that is a part of the Enform App Suite. The Destination Assist app works quite well, it uses a continuously updated data base, and it works quite well with voice commands. And, again, there is no paid subscription required to use it.
Old 06-23-20, 01:47 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Heh, I. just got notified the iPhone/iPad app that goes with my TV will no longer be supported after October. Tech moves on....
Old 06-23-20, 05:12 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
Heh, I. just got notified the iPhone/iPad app that goes with my TV will no longer be supported after October. Tech moves on....
I don’t mean to stray too far from this thread topic, but many devices with embedded web browsers are starting to fail because their security certificates are beginning to expire. Many of the manufacturers didn’t plan any mechanism for renewing them when they expire, and would rather sell you a replacement anyway. Unfortunately, we are just seeing the beginning of this wave. Very different from this issue, where the underlying technology was simply retired. The shame of it is that Lexus should have retired the 3G years earlier based on availability of LTE, which is already being replaced by 5G in some areas.
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
1rubyd (01-13-21), DavoLBC (09-25-20)
Old 06-23-20, 05:59 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

This reminds me of when GM announced the demise of the gen1 OnStar, that was analog. They did, however, offer a free upgrade if you kept the subscription active since new.
1rubyd (01-13-21)
Old 06-23-20, 11:31 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by lesz
Even if the Destination Assist will no longer be available to you, you will still be able to use the free Destination Search app that is a part of the Enform App Suite. The Destination Assist app works quite well, it uses a continuously updated data base, and it works quite well with voice commands. And, again, there is no paid subscription required to use it.
i use destination assist because im driving a lot of the time and don't like to pull over unless im stopping for gas cant do searching for destination while driving unless i by one of those units form somewhere that allows you to bypass the lock out and im not into doing something that's not safe
and a lot of time i end up without the system recognizing what im saying when i already know an address and i cant even use voice destination address adding cause it cant understand what im saying so then i have to talk to a person .
Old 06-23-20, 11:37 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by lesz
A 3 or 4 year old ES loses about $1000 in value for every 9000 or so miles on the odometer. So, that means that the 56,000 miles that you have put on the car since you bought it accounts for about $6200 of the value that you have lost on the car since you bought it. The rest of the loss in value is reasonable, considering that the car is now almost a year older than it was when you bought it and that, when you bought it, you were paying the retail price, but, when you are trading it, you are only getting the trade-in value.
even dealerships and KBB take off extra amount in consideration of Covid19 i think it was 2500 they deducted from the value of the trade in for that at the dealership when i was thinking about it a few weeks ago i thought they where ****ting me on that so i went and looked on KBB and KBB even takes off a few thousand form covid19 reasons

i owed 9000 left on it iv decided im just going to pay off the 9000 in the next few months and then sell it privately it will probably have about another 10k on it in 2-3 months from now if i can sell it privately for about 16,000 i would be happy its in Dealership condition if it wasn't for miles it could qualify to be Lexus certified if they where going to sell it on a Lexus lot so its in that great shape
im just going to plan on selling it if i can get 16k for it and then just take that 16k plus another 4k so i could put 20k down on a 2018 or 2019 ES300h i know two different years cause 2018 was last year of that exact model before they changed it a little bit in 2019 but i really like the style of this 2016-2018 and i have seen some 2018 ES300h models for around 27k

Quick Reply: Lexus Services 3G disconued end of the year in 2022