ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Spark plugs on top of the engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 08:36 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Spark plugs on top of the engine ?

Ok so I’m sorry to ask a. Question that’s stupid to dome but not to me since I have never done this Befor I usually always have shops do my plugs since dome are hard to get to at times
I just removed the e if I be cover for the first time ever since I’ve owned the car and I think right on top of the engine those are the 4 coil plugs and spark plugs correct ? Just unplug the coil and remove one screw each holding the coils in they just pop out so just pull directly up on them ?
And that that easy to pull the plugs out ? Or do I still have to ya crew the plugs with specific tools @‘ thinking maybe just do it myself but Iv never done it before
I’m going to go to the dealership for oem plugs but do I need to learn how to gap them also ?
u figure if the shop dealership is going to charge me like 200 to do that looks really simple for 200 I can buy a really nice Escher and ske
tools and do it myself easy simple am I thinking corrrct on this ?
It’s for the 2016 ES hybrid 4cyl
Old 08-17-20, 03:34 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Maybe NdYAG will chime in, he has a 300 and does a lot of his own maintenance. I do not have a 300 or I would help.
Old 08-17-20, 07:44 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah-it’s a pretty easy job. Much easier than the v6 model. Remember that you don’t want to over tighten the plugs or you could wind up with an expensive engine repair. Also, when the plugs are out, be sure not to drop anything inside the engine. You’ll want to have a spark plug socket and a torque wrench to do it the right way.

The plugs should be NGK or Denso-nothing else. They should also come pregapped so do not adjust. Google to find out exactly what kind that you need. The dealer is going to be more expensive. I’d recommend a chain auto store like Advanced Auto.

Here is a video link but I’m not sure if he uses a torque wrench. Check out some other basic videos as well.

Old 08-17-20, 07:49 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Yeah-it’s a pretty easy job. Much easier than the v6 model. Remember that you don’t want to over tighten the plugs or you could wind up with an expensive engine repair. Also, when the plugs are out, be sure not to drop anything inside the engine. You’ll want to have a spark plug socket and a torque wrench to do it the right way.

The plugs should be NGK or Denso-nothing else. They should also come pregapped so do not adjust. Google to find out exactly what kind that you need. The dealer is going to be more expensive. I’d recommend a chain auto store like Advanced Auto.

Here is a video link but I’m not sure if he uses a torque wrench. Check out some other basic videos as well.

https://youtu.be/vjxcspjZYHA
thank you this will be the first time I have done anything this major on my own
yes i know nothing don't let anything drop I had a guy who did my plugs on my Cadillac and some got ontop of the piston or fell down or whatever and had to do a full top end cleaning to get the carbon build up out before it drove good again lol.

so i need a part plug socket a torque wrench what torque do I want it to go to ? like are there different torqe wrenches for different types of jobs ?
do i need anything like seals or new o rings or anything like that for when I pull the coil out and put it back in anything that should not be reused ?
i know i see these little bags of grease that auto parts stores sell for each job so i know get one of those packets
I was going to go to the Dealership and get OEM i priced them out after using discount i have it would be like 14 per plug locally

i looked on advanced auto parts and the NGK plugs are 17.99 each and the long like Denso once was 23.49 each
so OEM would be a bit cheaper
​​​​​​

Last edited by ThumperPup; 08-17-20 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 09:06 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

I ended up going to the dealership today for the Engine Coolant flush service they charged me 189 for that and then also had the inverter done for 129.99 I know it says wait 150k for the first time for the inverter but I just cant see myself putting 150k on any kind of fluid at all just don't see it. for antifreeze.
i asked what it would be for spark plugs I expected them to come back and say again 200 parts and labor maybe more but when they said 159 I was like ok cause I know id spend like around 70 on parts and to go buy some tools id be another 40 or 50 to do it myself which ill not have to do for another 100k so figured id just have them do that also.

so after all is said and done after taxes and shop fees it was $500.34 for have the three services done.

something I did forget to ask the mechanic at the dealership was if I have a fuel filter do we have fuel filters that can be changed ? or is it not meant to be changed in the 6th gen ?

Old 10-03-22, 01:48 PM
Sean816
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me 30 minutes. Magnetic spark plug socket. Put new ones in by hand first then attached the wrench to the adaptor.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (10-05-22)