ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Braking Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 10:11 PM
abrown0809
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Braking Vibration

Hey guys, so I recently got new tires and new brakes and rotors installed by Mavis.....(dont judge me!) After the install when I brake at high speeds I get heavy vibration, only sometimes. I took it back and they fixed the balance on the tires, vibration was lessened but still not gone. What could be the issue? Have you guys experienced this? Did they put pre warped rotors on? Should I take it to a lexus dealer and have them look at things?

Other than this the brakes and tires work great and are quiet.

Old 08-21-20, 06:15 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

What would concern me is the fact that they rebalanced tires that should have been balanced correctly the first time. Additionally, my thought would be the rotors causing vibrations. If there is no vibration without braking, then the tires are OK. There is a way to check for rotor trueness.
Old 08-21-20, 09:18 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

If it’s vibrating at speed then the wheels are out of balance.

if it’s vibrating while braking, the rotors are not proper. They didn’t do something correctly.

take it back to the shop and tell them it’s not done correctly.

unless you had a suspension issue before you had the brakes put in.
Old 08-21-20, 09:53 AM
abrown0809
Driver

Originally Posted by jamestpc
If it’s vibrating at speed then the wheels are out of balance.

if it’s vibrating while braking, the rotors are not proper. They didn’t do something correctly.

take it back to the shop and tell them it’s not done correctly.

unless you had a suspension issue before you had the brakes put in.
Thanks, I will take it back. My car is only at 37k miles, i doubt I have suspension issues.
Old 08-21-20, 07:49 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing that can occur, which I have experienced is that if you have been heavy on the brakes for a while, even if the rotors are new, can get warped.

So how does this happen: If your rotors gets real hot (say for example racing on the highway and hitting your brakes a lot) then getting off the highway and coming to a stop at a red light. What happens is when you apply your brake, where the pads hit the rotor cools down faster than the rest of your rotors and you have warped rotors. That can happen on day 1 with new rotors.

For me it happened when I had to break in new pads by going real fast and forcefully applying the brake which is a procedure on some brake pads to break them in. No I have Akebono's so I don't have to do that.
Old 08-22-20, 02:43 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm not a mechanic, but I have two thoughts on this... if you're still having vibrations without using the brakes, you may still have a tire balance issue or possibly an alignment issue. If you're only having vibration issues when braking, that sounds like you have an issue with your brake rotors.

Roland
The following users liked this post:
st1800 (08-22-20)
Old 08-23-20, 03:29 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

Vibration while braking. Do you feel it in the steering wheel? (front) or in the seat? (rear), not scientific but best I have.

1. Warped rotor - If you bought aftermarket rotors it could be warped out of the box. I always buy OEM. Have them change the rotors. Could also be from improper torque when installing wheels. I always ask for a hand torque but not all shops will do it.

Tires will vibrate all the time if out of balance (maybe only at a certain speed). Wheel vibration from balance issues are very rarely affected by braking.

Old 08-24-20, 09:55 AM
abrown0809
Driver

Originally Posted by rmak
Vibration while braking. Do you feel it in the steering wheel? (front) or in the seat? (rear), not scientific but best I have.

1. Warped rotor - If you bought aftermarket rotors it could be warped out of the box. I always buy OEM. Have them change the rotors. Could also be from improper torque when installing wheels. I always ask for a hand torque but not all shops will do it.

Tires will vibrate all the time if out of balance (maybe only at a certain speed). Wheel vibration from balance issues are very rarely affected by braking.
Entire car vibrates and shudders when I brake, but its not all the time. Only sometimes. I think it depends on the type of pressure I apply to the brake. I never knew rotors can come warped out the box. Im taking it back tomorrow, Im gonna have them check the balance (again), alignment, torque and change the rotors. If they cant fix, I will take the car to lexus (My wallet might catch on fire lol)