Leaking ES350 Front Suspension Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 11:48 AM
BShahi
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking ES350 Front Suspension Replacement

Hello Everyone
so i had a really bad day today when i found out that on my 2013 ES350 the shock in passenger side is leaking
now my mechanic quote me to replace both suspensions (to keep similar suspension characteristics) with aftermarket brand which i don't want.
When i called local dealership they said they can replace shock only (why different opinions because dealership want to create future problems so i keep going to them)
car has 100k KMs, i cannot decide which way to go , as i read its not recommended to change single strut but then getting two lexus strut gonna cost a lot
but i also want to maintain the lexus quality , and i am thinking of keeping this car for long
what are your suggestion, does anybody had a same situation
thank you very much
Old 08-28-20, 12:39 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't get aftermarket. Most likely they will want to install KYB's. Maybe they used to be good but now they suck and don't last very long.

Also don't get anything other than original Lexus/Toyota shock mounts (yes change the mounts too), the bearings and boots if the plastic is hard. Not worth it skimping for the extra savings.. I did that and now and I am looking to have to change them again.

I would go with OEM / Original shocks, bearings and mounts.

Don't even think of changing just one side unless they are new which likely they are not - for many reasons I will not go over.

You can get SHocks and mounts for a decent price at - Discount Parts Monster.

Last edited by norakat; 08-28-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 06:51 PM
BShahi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Norakat for reply , well i have make up my mind to get genuine parts , i am getting them from lexus parts direct

1. can you please check using the link
https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/retu...usycgqhv5skiqb
did i have enough parts in my cart or should i remove some or add some , my mechanic also asking me to get sway bar links , necessary ?

2. i have few concerns, do i need to get bolts as well or its fine to use old ones, because once i had clutch replaced on corolla and that time i learned flywheel bolts cannot we used twice they have to be replaced.

3. My other concern is while lexus is know for highest quality why my strut failed so early, i bough this car used from somebody else, i just drove 1000km on it and i checked it before buying there were no leaks , and i haven't hit something that hard which my cause the leak , i am not happy because i was not expecting it at all.
Old 08-28-20, 09:48 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Those prices are not good. As an example the strut mounts are $156 in your cart and they are $100 where I suggested you get them from. You will save hundreds buying from where I suggested, but understand you live in Canada.

BTW, ask the seller/dealer if the mount comes with the bearing (most aftermarket mounts come included with the bearing), in which case you don’t need to buy it twice.

Another thing - make sure you get the strut for the correct rim size. You have struts for 18” and 17” wheels.

Also after you get your cart and order in, call them and have them verify all the parts by giving them your VIN number. The outfit I gave you verifies everything by VIN number.

I would change the sway bar links without even thinking if they have not been changed. They make a huge difference in performance and depending on the miles you have you need them.

How many miles on your car?

You usually do not have to worry about the strut top bolt because (normally) it comes with the new strut. Ask the dealer and just get that one (12), if it doesn’t include it. I’d say you don’t need other bolts unless they’re damaged.

Your strut system 2013 Lexus ES 350

As far as other parts, you need to tell me the miles on your car. Since its 2013, if nothing was ever changed once, I would replace all the soft parts - boot (5), bumper (7), #8, #6..

You’re basically changing everything in the image except for the bolts and the spring. The top strut nut should be changed (12).

Last edited by norakat; 08-28-20 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 11:02 PM
BShahi
Driver School Candidate

1. I don’t see any good options to buy genuine part in canada. Most of them are in US discount part charging me 115 for shipping and some won’t even ship to canada

2. My car has 100k kms

3. does coil spring doesn’t need to be changed ?? You didn’t mention to get that
Old 08-28-20, 11:53 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BShahi
1. I don’t see any good options to buy genuine part in canada. Most of them are in US discount part charging me 115 for shipping and some won’t even ship to canada

2. My car has 100k kms

3. does coil spring doesn’t need to be changed ?? You didn’t mention to get that

Did you ask Discount Parts Monster if they ship to CA? It may be worth the extra shipping even if $100 since you save $100 on just the 2 mounts. I would consider shipping delays w the Covid however.. You can ask for Fedex or UPS ground.

At that mileage it is normal for your shocks to go (along w a bunch of other things depending on road conditions and how/where it was driven). You may need rear struts also, ball joints, outer tie rods and definitely all 4 sway bar links. You may need to change your transmission oil, antifreeze, and other fluids, spark plugs, etc.

yeah cars suck.

As far as springs it’s debatable. I think as long as you have the right height now, you are ok. You can measure the distance/height from the floor to the wheel well. If you have sagging on one side, you can change both sides as a pair. I have 125k on mine and have not changed the springs. Not sure where you would get the spec for what is a good / acceptable height. If you find specs please share.
Old 08-29-20, 12:37 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Btw it should practically be no charge to change the Sway Bar Links since they are changing the struts. He will remove one side of it already so literally - he only needs to remove 1 nut to remove the sway bar link.
The following users liked this post:
12jimmyjam (08-30-20)
Old 08-31-20, 05:21 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BShahi
My other concern is while lexus is know for highest quality why my strut failed so early..
One example of what can make a strut fail early is if you scratch the smooth rod that goes in and out of the strut. I hear that can compromise the seal. Perhaps debris that gets in the seal can also do the same thing. Or maybe a big pothole.
The following users liked this post:
BShahi (11-03-20)