ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does Lexus ES make good used vehicles??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 01:06 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Does Lexus ES make good used vehicles??

I have to say buying used is a good deal for these the 2016 Lexus ES350 and probably for other years. It's so very refined, reliable, comfortable and spacious car and even gives really good road isolation.

The wood grain touches to door and steering wheels are so enlightening also.

What's does others think? My wife love her car.

The following users liked this post:
fgetter (10-07-20)
Old 09-27-20, 05:36 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Buy one, they're good.
The following 3 users liked this post by st1800:
fgetter (10-07-20), PatrickAz (10-02-20), websurfer (09-27-20)
Old 09-28-20, 04:35 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I have to say buying used is a good deal for these the 2016 Lexus ES350 and probably for other years. It's so very refined, reliable, comfortable and spacious car and even gives really good road isolation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vduq3r3EJIM
You asked a question then you answered it

I think the short answer is - it depends on the previous owner and how they took care of the car.

You can possibly buy one that has all manner of things about to break.
Old 10-01-20, 09:16 PM
Dejan13
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i bought my 2013 ES350 a year ago. I still love it and have no regrets after 26000kilometers. Bought with 99000km and it still feels and looks new.
Old 10-01-20, 09:41 PM
websurfer
Racer

Mines is reliable so far but mines came with a smoke smell though. That's the only bad thing about it.
Old 10-09-20, 05:28 PM
NA2NC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection. I bought mine from a Lexus dealer as a CPO vehicle. It seemed clean when I looked at it and after a thorough test drive.. I found out at my next oil change, at a Toyota dealer, that it had been in an accident. The Toyota dealer also revealed that there was a rats nest under the engine cover and the engine harness was chewed, significant debris in the HVAC system, warped rotors, and a bunch of other minor defects. They also hid the fact that it was a smoker's car - they smoke bombed it before my viewing. Everything was supposed to be checked off on the LCPO checklist in order to be certified as Lexus CPO. If this car wasn't such a tank, it would be a lemon for sure. Still not sure if I am going to keep it for the long haul though. Car had 17,000 km when I bought it and it now has almost 60,000 km and still drives okay.
Old 10-09-20, 07:05 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by NA2NC
Be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection. I bought mine from a Lexus dealer as a CPO vehicle. It seemed clean when I looked at it and after a thorough test drive.. I found out at my next oil change, at a Toyota dealer, that it had been in an accident. The Toyota dealer also revealed that there was a rats nest under the engine cover and the engine harness was chewed, significant debris in the HVAC system, warped rotors, and a bunch of other minor defects. They also hid the fact that it was a smoker's car - they smoke bombed it before my viewing. Everything was supposed to be checked off on the LCPO checklist in order to be certified as Lexus CPO. If this car wasn't such a tank, it would be a lemon for sure. Still not sure if I am going to keep it for the long haul though. Car had 17,000 km when I bought it and it now has almost 60,000 km and still drives okay.
Here's my story:

I think buying used always comes with some risks. I purchased used non-CPO without any issues also from private party and other dealers in the past.

Should have done a PPI on the CPO Lexus, I thought CPO was perfect (I guess not). I struck out 2x on CPO. The cars are great just needed to find the right one.

My 2016 GS 350 CPO had the bummer, side fenders repainted also. I was hard to spot outside. So when I parked it in the garage, I found the issues esp on the front bumper (color didn't match, some sections missing clear coat). I had to call dealer to get that fix and another 3 weeks lost back and forth. I also didn't know the navi mouse wasn't scrolling until I started driving it the week later. The repaint didn't go well also, I ended going to another paint shop to fix that for $400. The side fender (pearl white off a bit) somehow had the gaps near the hood area not painted also. Some body shop owner and car detailer said it could have been in a wreak before. I took the lost and traded it in. I didn't know the history on it and didn't want to waste more $$ on it.

My wife's '16 CPO ES 350 was a heavily smoked car that we didn't know. When I called the sales person on the phone, they prepared the car for us. Little did we know, they sprayed a lemon scent in the interior so we can't smell it. Luckily I didn't see any signs of a bad accident. Issues with driver side door, dash, shifter were all found after the year driving it also. My wife loves the ES but I'm not sure how long we keep it yet. Btw, the sales person finally admitted after we purchased the vehicle was kind of rough after we purchased it. I didn't mind the scratches or cola stains on the seats.

The local Lexus has done a great job helping us but I just wish we avoided the issues in the first place.

Both cars were purchased from different dealers. Another lesson learned, don't shop only for best price, don't go shopping once the sun goes down and don't rush to buy and leave. Spend time looking and researching the vehicle before purchasing. Paying a bit more is better than a headache later.

My new 2020 GS350 was purchased from my local dealer and overall it's been great.

Last edited by websurfer; 10-09-20 at 07:44 PM.
NA2NC (10-10-20)
Old 10-10-20, 01:47 PM
NA2NC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed. But shame on Lexus and their CPO program. If you pay a premium to have a clean and checked-out car, what is the point of even having CPO status? I will never buy a CPO vehicle again. Sorry to hear they are doing this all over North America.
Old 10-10-20, 06:40 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by NA2NC
Indeed. But shame on Lexus and their CPO program. If you pay a premium to have a clean and checked-out car, what is the point of even having CPO status? I will never buy a CPO vehicle again. Sorry to hear they are doing this all over North America.
No worries, just sharing the good and bad on CPO. I rather buy from private party next time.
Old 10-16-20, 05:10 PM
MatrixMP9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a Lexus ES350 2017. Ive always owned Fords, Dodge and Chevy for the most part. My most recent outside this Lexus was a BMW X-3. Never will I buy a BMW again...more pain then worth. The big 3 American have killed themselves with the lies and garbage...from using cheap chinese transmissions to straight lies about starters and known failed engine designs. Im over it. Being completely honest, I finally looked at Lexus after giving up on the others. To me, Lexus screamed "boring" compared to the cars Ive owned. Having said that, the more I researched the more I became sold on the idea of this car. Reliable, easy to maintain...SAFE. I have had this car only 1 month. I have had more "fun" in this car then I expected now that I have it. Changing to the sport mode and hammering down is actually more fun then the reviews say. With my Mustang and BMW, it was somewhat expected. This ES350 is not underpowered nor unresponsive. Its smooth as silk and has plenty of power to stay safe and kick a little adrenaline when wanted. Best part of this car so far is the interior. It is lightyears beyond the others. When I sit down in the car it turns on and sort of "hugs me" as it adjusts to my position. I LOVE the way the car feels during normal driving. Blows the Beamer away. The BMW was a bit sterile feeling and hard. The Lexus calls me and is begging me to take a road trip!

One thing I dont like so far is the entertainment system. I thought Id get used to it....I hate it. I cant even get the radio channels to stay put. Also, the stereo isnt much louder then my headphones blasting lol. Thats going to need to change!!!

So far Im giving this low mile great maintained car a 9.8 stars. For $30,000, I cant imagine a nicer, cleaner used car.
Old 10-16-20, 05:16 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by MatrixMP9
I just bought a Lexus ES350 2017. Ive always owned Fords, Dodge and Chevy for the most part. My most recent outside this Lexus was a BMW X-3. Never will I buy a BMW again...more pain then worth. The big 3 American have killed themselves with the lies and garbage...from using cheap chinese transmissions to straight lies about starters and known failed engine designs. Im over it. Being completely honest, I finally looked at Lexus after giving up on the others. To me, Lexus screamed "boring" compared to the cars Ive owned. Having said that, the more I researched the more I became sold on the idea of this car. Reliable, easy to maintain...SAFE. I have had this car only 1 month. I have had more "fun" in this car then I expected now that I have it. Changing to the sport mode and hammering down is actually more fun then the reviews say. With my Mustang and BMW, it was somewhat expected. This ES350 is not underpowered nor unresponsive. Its smooth as silk and has plenty of power to stay safe and kick a little adrenaline when wanted. Best part of this car so far is the interior. It is lightyears beyond the others. When I sit down in the car it turns on and sort of "hugs me" as it adjusts to my position. I LOVE the way the car feels during normal driving. Blows the Beamer away. The BMW was a bit sterile feeling and hard. The Lexus calls me and is begging me to take a road trip!

One thing I dont like so far is the entertainment system. I thought Id get used to it....I hate it. I cant even get the radio channels to stay put. Also, the stereo isnt much louder then my headphones blasting lol. Thats going to need to change!!!

So far Im giving this low mile great maintained car a 9.8 stars. For $30,000, I cant imagine a nicer, cleaner used car.
Congrats on your new ride.
Old 10-16-20, 05:17 PM
websurfer
Racer

I think the 2019, 2020 ES will be even better used cars deals when it ages and the price drops a bit.

Last edited by websurfer; 10-16-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 05:35 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

I can't hold it back any longer.,..Lexus does not make used vehicles...only new ones.
leathers (02-05-21)
Old 10-19-20, 12:25 PM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

>2020 ES will be even better used cars deals when it ages and the price drops a bit

Sorry, but I had new model ES as a loner and I really didn't like it. It felt MUCH larger than my current one, which is a pretty big sedan already. I also like the integrated GPS rather than the new one sitting on top of the dash.

The fit and finish of the interior was excellent, though. I just didn't like the "feeling" of size.

I think I'll hang on to my '13 a bit longer.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (it's aubergine)

Old 10-27-20, 07:39 PM
Jasones350
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vduq3r3EJIM

Love it......
websurfer (10-27-20)

Quick Reply: Does Lexus ES make good used vehicles??