ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does your ES 350 drive / feel terrible? Maybe this could be your problem..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 05:52 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does your ES 350 drive / feel terrible? Maybe this could be your problem..

Hi, I just wanted to share this:

When I first purchased my 6th Gen ES 350 brand new it actually did not feel as good as the car I test drove. And this was a brand new car!

At first I thought 'oh this is the way the car drives'. It also had a transmission gear noise when driving the car - you can hear the gears in the transmission.

I brought it back to Lexus and they told me this is the way the car is supposed to sound. I thought it was kinda loud for a luxury car and also it did not drive like a luxury car.

Anyway miles down the road after trying to get Lexus to check my transmission oil level which they did not want to do because of course, the car did not have a problem (to them).

Anyway, I did a lot of research and figured out how to do a partial transmission oil change myself. After that - Wow! my car felt like butter driving - smooth shifts and the transmission gear whining noise was gone! What a bunch of morons!

Since then I've done a bunch of partial changes every 30-60k miles and recently I did a transmission oil filter change at 126000 miles.

I replaced and leveled the transmission oil to the correct specs at the middle of the temperature range for setting the oil level (I will post the procedure when I have time).

The car, at first, did not feel too good. It wasn't switching gears too well (you can feel when the car switched gears) and it sometimes felt like the clutch was slipping in gear after switching gears.

I've actually had this problem before. I did the transmission oil leveling procedure again but this time at a higher temperature (The range is 104-113 deg F). I did it at 108 deg previously (in the middle of the range) and this time I let the oil dribble out up until 110 deg F.

This removed about 50-60ml of additional oil.

And then I drove it again - Wow! that buttery shifting feeling again. It is truly the difference between feeling like your car is a crappy Toyota or a luxury vehicle.

And it truly blows my mind that 50-60ml of oil in the transmission will make that huge of a difference in the way it feels (The gears feel stuck in solid on every gear and shifts are very smooth).

If you put 50-60ml in a cup, you will realize how little that amount is. It must be a terrible design that the system is so sensitive to the amount of oil in it.

I noticed this phenomenon before but couldn't believe it. I believe it now. So consider this to be a possible problem if you get a whining gear noise from your transmission or have perceivable hard shifts or slippage.
The following users liked this post:
Lexmart (10-16-20)
Old 09-28-20, 08:21 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Hi norakak. I had the same problem as you, but did not go to the dealer because of what other guys said here. So I did a drain and refill with Amsoil WS tranny fluid and wow, what a difference! No more whining, and don't even feel the shifts anymore. All I here is the engine changing sounds, that's it. If anyone here has the capability to do this, they should and tell the dealer to (you know what!)
The following 3 users liked this post by autotech13:
Lexmart (10-16-20), norakat (09-29-20), Poppa (09-29-20)
Old 10-11-20, 07:09 PM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was driving my 2018 Lexus ES 350 the other day and the engine stopped. I was traveling around 50mph. After 10 seconds or so the engine restarted and I continued to travel on my way home. The car has 9,700 miles on the Odometer. This is the first time that has happened and I bought the car new.
Old 10-13-20, 10:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

In spite of all the don't touch the Tranny threads and post here. I did the same. I have done 2 changes, with Valvoline Full Synthetic. Whining completely gone, shifts smooth and positive. Also no more hunting gears at low speed when turning in on and off the gas. Also much more responsive. .
The following users liked this post:
Lexmart (10-16-20)
Old 10-14-20, 04:14 AM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

I am glad that everyone here has found a solution to their problems with whining transmissions and gear changes. I wish that is all that I have to be concerned about. I am looking for a solution so I can drive my car and enjoy the Lexus that I bought. The car has been great for 9700 miles. Not is not safe to drive on the highway.
Old 10-16-20, 07:52 AM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you post your process for changing the fluid? My 2013 ES350 with 168,000 miles also has some whine and I have purchased the transmission filter and gasket with the intent of changing the filter and fluid to see if it helps quiet things. Plus I’d feel better about trying to ensure things are as good as they can be since I bought it a year ago used. But, I’m nervous about screwing it up by not having the tech stream monitor of the atf temperature.

I was also thinking of using the amsoil compatible fluid versus the Toyota WS since I heard the Toyota WS is not synthetic. Just trying to pamper my baby and make her last as long as I can.
Old 10-16-20, 07:54 AM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by autotech13
Hi norakak. I had the same problem as you, but did not go to the dealer because of what other guys said here. So I did a drain and refill with Amsoil WS tranny fluid and wow, what a difference! No more whining, and don't even feel the shifts anymore. All I here is the engine changing sounds, that's it. If anyone here has the capability to do this, they should and tell the dealer to (you know what!)
I’ve been thinking about the amsoil fluid too. I’m willing to spend a bit more for the best results. What was your process and did it involve using tech stream?
Old 10-16-20, 07:56 AM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

ofwhia , do you have a scanner tool to check for a code and freeze frame data? Or are you taking it to the dealer or another shop?
Old 10-16-20, 08:21 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Hi Lexmart. It's not that hard if you have some mechanical skills. You do need a infared temp. scanner and point it at the trans. oil pan. I've been using Amsoil for over 25 years, yes it's expensive but you can't go wrong, make sure you use the WS type. Check out some youtube videos to get an idea whats involved. I think there is no need to change the filter, plus I think the filter is tucked up inside the tranny. Hope this helps. By the the way, check out Faye Hadley on youtube in "how to change transmission fluid on a Toyota". It's the same procedure as Lexus. If you do it, you will love the results, it's like a different car once your done! Good luck.
Old 10-16-20, 08:25 AM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

I do not have a problem with my transmission changing gears or making strange noises. My problems is with the car stumbling while driving on the highway. I am completely satisfied with car except for this stumbling issue. I am working with Lexus and the dealer to have this problem resolved. I feel that the car is unsafe to drive with this stumbling issue.
Old 10-16-20, 09:11 AM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by autotech13
Hi Lexmart. It's not that hard if you have some mechanical skills. You do need a infared temp. scanner and point it at the trans. oil pan. I've been using Amsoil for over 25 years, yes it's expensive but you can't go wrong, make sure you use the WS type. Check out some youtube videos to get an idea whats involved. I think there is no need to change the filter, plus I think the filter is tucked up inside the tranny. Hope this helps. By the the way, check out Faye Hadley on youtube in "how to change transmission fluid on a Toyota". It's the same procedure as Lexus. If you do it, you will love the results, it's like a different car once your done! Good luck.
Thanks autotech13, I do subscribe to Faye’s channel and have seen that video. Always looking for others’ experience as well. I just don’t want to screw this up. As for the filter, yeah I’m all in figuring I may as well make sure I know everything in there is fresh.
Old 10-16-20, 01:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I did not do the Filter. I will next time. I used the Valvoline Full Synthetic Trans fluid due to the overwhelming post at Toyota Nation about it. Especially the Truck guys who do alot of heavy duty use of their Toyota trucks.

The Toyota WS Fluid is Not Full Synthetic. I took my ES U/L to my Local Toyota dealer who services my ES They call it Minor (Transmission Services Code = 30T0Z01). Gave them 2 gallons of the Valvoline fluid. If I remember correctly. A drain and fill or flush with Toyota WS fluid was like $$250 or something like that give or take. The Labor with my fluid was $41.08 LOL!. The Trans fluid from Walmart was around $12 a bottle???

I can do all my services myself but sometimes for the price its just not worth the hassle, especially being I don't have a shop lift.
Old 10-19-20, 11:06 AM
samhockey
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ofwiah
I do not have a problem with my transmission changing gears or making strange noises. My problems is with the car stumbling while driving on the highway. I am completely satisfied with car except for this stumbling issue. I am working with Lexus and the dealer to have this problem resolved. I feel that the car is unsafe to drive with this stumbling issue.
There is a recall for faulty fuel pump for the RX. Your car could have the same issue.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-200...nto-a-lawsuit/

Old 10-19-20, 02:31 PM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Samhockey. Lexus is supposed to be picking my vehicle up on the 26th to try and solve the issue.
Old 10-19-20, 08:21 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Last edited by st1800; 10-19-20 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.

Quick Reply: Does your ES 350 drive / feel terrible? Maybe this could be your problem..