ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Engine stops running driving down the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20 | 09:31 AM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

The car is a 2018 ES 350. GS 350 is a typo.
Old 10-13-20 | 09:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

So, let me get this straight.

- This happened one time and the dealer says the computer shows that you pressed the gas and brake at the same time.

- Lexus corp is offering you a buyback for something that happened once and looks to be an operator error issue.

- You're afraid to drive the vehicle, due to something that occurred once.

Got it!
Old 10-13-20 | 06:34 PM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

My Lexus dealer is saying that the computer shows where the gas and brake have been applied 37 times in the 9700 miles that is on the car. What I am saying is the car shut off or stumbled once for 10 + seconds while driving down the open road on a clear day in traffic. I find it very strange that there have been several recalls on this vehicle that can produce the same results that I experienced 3 weeks ago. The reason for the recall is a a faulty fuel pump.

Once is enough. Once is too much.
Old 10-13-20 | 07:03 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ofwiah
My Lexus dealer is saying that the computer shows where the gas and brake have been applied 37 times in the 9700 miles that is on the car. What I am saying is the car shut off or stumbled once for 10 + seconds while driving down the open road on a clear day in traffic. I find it very strange that there have been several recalls on this vehicle that can produce the same results that I experienced 3 weeks ago. The reason for the recall is a a faulty fuel pump.

Once is enough. Once is too much.
There was a recall on the 6th gen ES fuel pump?

Please expand on how this buyback is going to work.

Old 10-13-20 | 07:25 PM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

I am still waiting on Lexus to send me paper work. I tried calling the dealer today to speak to the GM. No return call.
Old 10-13-20 | 10:05 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I just read the 2 pages. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about what he said happen, and what the Dealer told him.

What is strange is what the Dealer scan shows? And why the fix is not to just install a new fuel pump? There must be something very weird going on with the ECU or signal sending units? I'm also guessing the Buyback is about legal liability and possible making sure there is no Damage to Lexus's image.about this.
Old 10-14-20 | 07:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
What is strange is what the Dealer scan shows? And why the fix is not to just install a new fuel pump? There must be something very weird going on with the ECU or signal sending units? I'm also guessing the Buyback is about legal liability and possible making sure there is no Damage to Lexus's image.about this.
The buyback is a fallacy. When was there a fuel pump recall on this gen ES? This whole thread doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-14-20 | 07:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by ofwiah
The car has been to the dealer. They tell me the computer's data tells them that the driver is pressing on the accelerator and the brake at the same time and that is what caused the engine to shut off. That is Ludicrous. There was a recall on this model year and make back in March for the same thing. According to the dealer my car is not in that recall.
do you happen to drive with two feet? Use right for accelerating and left for the brake? Or rest your left foot near the brake sometime?

Every so often I will follow someone on the highway and see them clearly accelerating or maintaining speed while their brake lights are lit up and that’s usually what they are doing. Have a friend that drives like this who swore he never pushes both until I showed him a video of him driving off from a stop with his brakes lights on.

I’m pretty sure I read Lexus and Toyota added logic to their ECUs during the unintended acceleration lawsuits in the early 2000s to help prevent drivers from having issues not being able to stop when they press both pedals by cutting power. Might be the cause of this situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
Mike728 (10-14-20), TechNut (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20 | 09:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Ok, I found where the OP may be getting this fuel pump recall info. If you think your dealer is not being truthful with you on your ES being included in the recall, you can look it up yourself here: https://www.toyota.com/recall

OP also made no mention of any warning lights on the dash, which would be a good indication of the issue.

"If the fuel pump were to stop working, Toyota said in its statement, the engine would run rough and various warning lights would illuminate. This could stall the car, and the engine could not restart afterward. If the engine were to stall at higher speeds, the result could be a crash, Toyota said."

The part that removes all credibility for me is where he/she states Lexus corporate is working on buying the vehicle back. Since when does a manufacture offer to buy back a vehicle where no issue has been found, other than operator error?
Old 10-14-20 | 09:24 AM
ofwiah
Driver School Candidate

No. I was trained to drive with on foot. Two feet drivers are dangerous drivers.
Old 10-14-20 | 01:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
The buyback is a fallacy. When was there a fuel pump recall on this gen ES? This whole thread doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, I normally try to help Members.

There have been many car owners who stated something that the dealer and/or Manufacture denied until guess what................................ Ever seen a Auto manufacturer Class action suite?

There are also many different things giving readings to the ECU that might tell you it something completely different that what it is.

Last edited by jgscott; 10-14-20 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-14-20 | 02:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
do you happen to drive with two feet? Use right for accelerating and left for the brake? Or rest your left foot near the brake sometime?

Every so often I will follow someone on the highway and see them clearly accelerating or maintaining speed while their brake lights are lit up and that’s usually what they are doing. Have a friend that drives like this who swore he never pushes both until I showed him a video of him driving off from a stop with his brakes lights on.

I’m pretty sure I read Lexus and Toyota added logic to their ECUs during the unintended acceleration lawsuits in the early 2000s to help prevent drivers from having issues not being able to stop when they press both pedals by cutting power. Might be the cause of this situation.
I was going to next ask the same about gas/brake driving? A Sensor sensing this to cut the fuel pump for safety could go off a +/- millivolt or volt and be sending a signal that does this. If Dealer has no TCB or experience they would be looking to Lexus for direction.

That logic you mentioned could be the problem. .