ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

System loading message.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 09:48 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Good info but if all the OP needs is the maintainer one can be had at Walmart for between 20-30 bucks. If he really wants to go cheap (like me) I picked one up at Harbor Freight for $4.99!
Old 10-28-20, 11:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I'm not sure that, for the "system loading" message to be triggered, the battery necessarily must be at a lower charge level.

I store my 2017 ES during the winter, and I use a Battery Tender to keep the battery at full charge levels. Every year, when I take the car out of storage in March, I get that "system loading" message even though the battery has been maintained through the winter at a full charge level.
Old 10-28-20, 11:59 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
I also get the "system loading" message when my '14 ES350 sits for about a month. Only issue is the nav system goes to the default factory settings on voice and speed ranges. This has happened with the original battery and its replacement so I suspect it is a navigation quirk.

For me it is easier to just re-enter my preferred nav settings than it would be to mess with a battery tender.

When I replaced my battery I dont think any settings were lost, but you may need to cycle the ignition switch a few times before starting to keep the alarm system happy.
Originally Posted by Fillykonk
Good info but if all the OP needs is the maintainer one can be had at Walmart for between 20-30 bucks. If he really wants to go cheap (like me) I picked one up at Harbor Freight for $4.99!
I was the OP. Just thinking ahead in case the battery needs to be replaced.'

Can you link to that $4.99 battery maintainer?
Old 10-28-20, 11:59 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm not sure that, for the "system loading" message to be triggered, the battery necessarily must be at a lower charge level.

I store my 2017 ES during the winter, and I use a Battery Tender to keep the battery at full charge levels. Every year, when I take the car out of storage in March, I get that "system loading" message even though the battery has been maintained through the winter at a full charge level.
Do you lose any settings?
Old 10-28-20, 12:01 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
I also get the "system loading" message when my '14 ES350 sits for about a month. Only issue is the nav system goes to the default factory settings on voice and speed ranges. This has happened with the original battery and its replacement so I suspect it is a navigation quirk.

For me it is easier to just re-enter my preferred nav settings than it would be to mess with a battery tender.

When I replaced my battery I dont think any settings were lost, but you may need to cycle the ignition switch a few times before starting to keep the alarm system happy.
It's hard to change some nav settings, such as the one to show the freeway exit list. I like to disable it. That setting can only be changed if I am on the free way.

But I can go a few weeks without going on the freeway, as I do mostly city road driving.
Old 10-28-20, 02:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Do you lose any settings?
No, I don't lose any settings. If settings are being lost, then, I would think that it is more likely to be a battery issue.
Old 10-28-20, 07:43 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Can someone provide a link to a good battery maintainer, as well as describe how to connect / use it?
Old 10-29-20, 07:54 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I was the OP. Just thinking ahead in case the battery needs to be replaced.'

Can you link to that $4.99 battery maintainer?
https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-64284.html. The price is normally $10 (still relatively cheap) but it is frequently discounted. Just need to keep an eye on the site. That's how I got it for half-price.
The following users liked this post:
nuraman00 (10-29-20)
Old 11-04-20, 12:04 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

I had my battery tested on Saturday. It was 100% charged.

So I'm not sure whats been causing the message in the OP.
Old 11-04-20, 06:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

I had my battery tested on Saturday. It was 100% charged.

So I'm not sure whats been causing the message in the OP.
How long was the car sitting since it was last used? Mine sits on a battery tender and after a few weeks of not driving it, I get the same message. The only thing I really notice is that my memory stick settings revert back to default and I need to set it back up. I would not notice any change with nav settings, since i rarely use it. What you're seeing seems normal.
Old 11-04-20, 12:42 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
How long was the car sitting since it was last used? Mine sits on a battery tender and after a few weeks of not driving it, I get the same message. The only thing I really notice is that my memory stick settings revert back to default and I need to set it back up. I would not notice any change with nav settings, since i rarely use it. What you're seeing seems normal.
7 days since it was last used.

Oct. 24th was when I got the message. It had been 6 days since its last use then.
Old 02-22-21, 12:32 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

The system loading error message and map / location error, happened to me again on:

December 27, 2020.

February 17, 2021. In the latter case, I had already been using the car for short errands, before it happened.

Here's kind of a how I've encountered it:

* Turn on car power (not engine); set GPS destination; turn on full car power (then encounter system loading).

* Turn on car power (not engine), set radio station; turn on full car power (then encounter system loading).

The past few times this has happened, this is what I've done before it happened. I've done one of the above steps.

However, I've also done these same actions hundreds of times, without getting a system loading message too.
Old 02-22-21, 01:03 PM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I use the 2 amp switch on my 10 amp regular battery charger to maintain battery when sitting for weeks in my garage?
also can I leave the battery hooked up?

Last edited by jstagn; 02-22-21 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 02-22-21, 01:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

The system loading error message and map / location error, happened to me again on:

December 27, 2020.

February 17, 2021. In the latter case, I had already been using the car for short errands, before it happened.

Here's kind of a how I've encountered it:

* Turn on car power (not engine); set GPS destination; turn on full car power (then encounter system loading).

* Turn on car power (not engine), set radio station; turn on full car power (then encounter system loading).

The past few times this has happened, this is what I've done before it happened. I've done one of the above steps.

However, I've also done these same actions hundreds of times, without getting a system loading message too.

Even if your battery is 100% charged, it can still be weak. If the battery is weak and if you use the car in the ACC position to do things like setting your destination without starting the engine, that weak battery can drain quickly, which is what I'm guessing happened in the two most recent times that you got the system loading message.
Old 02-22-21, 01:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jstagn
Can I use the 2 amp switch on my 10 amp regular battery charger to maintain battery when sitting for weeks in my garage?
also can I leave the battery hooked up?
I'd suggest just spending $20-25 and buying a Battery Tender. They are engineered to detect whether the battery is fully charged, whether it needs just a top-off charge, or whether it needs more significant charging, and they turn turn off when charging is not needed. That way, you don't need to worry about whether the charger is damaging the battery by trying to add charge when that isn't needed.

Quick Reply: System loading message.