ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

System loading message.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 02:35 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Even if your battery is 100% charged, it can still be weak. If the battery is weak and if you use the car in the ACC position to do things like setting your destination without starting the engine, that weak battery can drain quickly, which is what I'm guessing happened in the two most recent times that you got the system loading message.
What should I do to make it stronger?

The time I had it tested at AutoZone in October, they said it was 100% charged.

Old 02-22-21, 02:54 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00

Just because it is 100% charged doesn't mean that it can hold that charge. It could have gotten charged to that 100% level as you were driving to the AutoZone, but, if the battery is starting to fail, it could lose most of that charge in the next 12-24 hours.

If that is happening, there is nothing you can do to "make it stronger". The only solution is to replace the battery.
Old 02-22-21, 03:28 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

What settings would be lost with a new battery?
Old 02-22-21, 03:31 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

They should not just being doing a charge only test. Did they do a load test???
Old 02-22-21, 04:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

What settings would be lost with a new battery?
If it is done right, you shouldn't lose any settings. Most shops and auto supply stores should be able temporarily connect your car to another battery/power source while the switch to the new battery is being done.
Old 02-22-21, 04:54 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
They should not just being doing a charge only test. Did they do a load test???
I don't remember what exactly I asked them anymore, since it was October. I wonder if I said "charge test" instead of "load test".

Or maybe I did say load test.
Old 02-22-21, 04:55 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

As I posted last fall my '14 ES350 also reloads the Nav if it sets for 3-4 weeks without being driven in these covid times. I conducted a little test last time which leads me to believe the problem is in the navigation system not the car battery. After the car has sat for 3 weeks, I switched the ignition ON without starting the engine and let the Nav reload (1-2 minutes) after it finished I switched the ignition OFF without starting the car. I then switched it back ON and the Nav did not reload a second time. Obviously the car battery would have been discharged slightly more the second time, so this leads me to think the problem is in the Nav not with the car battery. I do not know what the Nav system uses to hold the settings in memory (button battery, capacitor or something else) but that seems to be the root cause.
FWIW the car always starts fine and has no other problems which makes me think the battery and charging system is fine.
Old 02-22-21, 04:56 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'd suggest just spending $20-25 and buying a Battery Tender. They are engineered to detect whether the battery is fully charged, whether it needs just a top-off charge, or whether it needs more significant charging, and they turn turn off when charging is not needed. That way, you don't need to worry about whether the charger is damaging the battery by trying to add charge when that isn't needed.
I've read discussions like this before, best post was by someone who works with batteries for a living.
He said he doesn't trust the circuitry on inexpensive battery tenders to not overcharge the battery.
So, with cars and mowers, and bikes in winter storage, he puts his battery tenders on timers, and only has them
charging for 2-4 hours a day, figuring that at 0.50 an amp or so, they literally can't overcharge the batteries.

FYI - Lowes & Target both sell a simple "appliance timer" for about $6. These are mechanical clock timers, so if your power were to go out, when it comes back on, no need to reset them. Just that they were charging from 2 -5 pm, now might be 4-7pm... Would you care? Sometimes high-tech is *not* what you want.
/

Last edited by Riick; 02-22-21 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-21, 10:40 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I got the message again yesterday.

Radio was on but car engine was off. I then turned the engine on.

I have a service appointment in a few weeks, so I'll ask for a load test then.
Old 04-07-21, 12:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I got the message again yesterday.

Radio was on but car engine was off. I then turned the engine on.

I have a service appointment in a few weeks, so I'll ask for a load test then.
When I have my service appointment, if they charge for a battery test, should I have them do it?

On one hand, I can go to AutoZone, etc. and I think have it load tested for free. I did go in October but I don't remember if I asked for a "charge test" or "load test".

On the other hand, this has been an ongoing problem since October, and it would be nice to properly identify the problem and get a resolution to it.
Old 04-16-21, 11:02 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

When I have my service appointment, if they charge for a battery test, should I have them do it?

On one hand, I can go to AutoZone, etc. and I think have it load tested for free. I did go in October but I don't remember if I asked for a "charge test" or "load test".

On the other hand, this has been an ongoing problem since October, and it would be nice to properly identify the problem and get a resolution to it.
Bump? Thoughts?
Old 04-23-21, 12:56 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

When I went to have my service done, they did a test on the battery, but couldn't find any issues.

They then wanted to do a diagnostic on the Navigation system, but said they can't do it on Saturdays, they're too busy.

They sad to come back M - F.

I don't think I'll come back just for this, so this issue will probably persist for another year, until my next appointment.
Old 05-10-21, 11:43 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

The System Loading message happened to me again yesterday.

Slight difference this time was that I had turned the car's 2nd level power on (push the start button twice).

Then I turned it off, then started the car.

In previous times, I had probably only turned the car's first level power on (push the start button once).

I think I am going to call Lexus and see if they can provide any assistance or suggestions.

I think also next time, after I turn the 1st or 2nd level power on, then off, I will try counting to 6, before turning the power back on.
Old 05-13-21, 08:04 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Bump? Any advice?
Old 10-24-21, 05:26 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a follow up on my earlier posts on this navigation system reloading problem, I recently replaced my '14 ES 350 battery with a new one which has more CCA capacity than the OEM battery. The nav system still reloads if the car is not driven for 2-3 weeks so I still believe the problem is with the navigation unit not the car battery. For me its just a minor annoyance having to re-enter the speed parameters and other things that default on the reload. Since this is the only issue I have seen on this car for the past 7 years I'm still quite happy with it.

Quick Reply: System loading message.