ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

System loading message.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 07:51 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default System loading message.

Twice in the past month, when I've turned on my car, the GPS console unit has said "System loading", and a blue progress bar appears.

After it finishes, it resets all of the map settings to factory default. So I lose the "route trace" setting. The map view goes to the default view, and not the 3-D view. The Map Mode shows the freeway exit list, which I had disabled.

If I enter a POI, it then asks me what state I'm in. Normally, it doesn't ask me that, as it knows what USA state I'm in.

I've had to redo all of the settings again to get them to the way I had them set.

Why is it doing this?
Old 10-25-20, 09:27 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

How old is you vehicle battery? Weak batteries do crazy things. Load test battery if over 2 years
Old 10-25-20, 10:46 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by afpj
How old is you vehicle battery? Weak batteries do crazy things. Load test battery if over 2 years
How do I do that?

It's over 2 years.
Old 10-25-20, 11:22 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Take the battery to a local auto parts store like Autozone, pep boys or Riley and they can do a load test for you, no charge.
The following 3 users liked this post by st1800:
nuraman00 (10-25-20), oreguyd (04-03-21), PatrickAz (10-25-20)
Old 10-25-20, 11:28 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I assume that you don't have a load tester...most auto parts stores that sell batteries can load test for free. A simple initial test is just use a voltmeter to check battery voltage when vehicle is cold. 12.6 is fully charged.12.2 is getting suspect. Also check battery cables for tightness, corrosion, electricals in general. Hoping this is an electrical issue that's easy to fix versus a software / hardware problem with your nav unit.
The following users liked this post:
nuraman00 (10-25-20)
Old 10-26-20, 07:01 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had a similar problem a couple of times with my 2017. Yes the battery is now 3 years old but the problem for me has more so been the fact that I don't drive the car as often as it needs to be driven to keep the battery charged. As others have said, I would have the load test done and if that checks out you may want to run the car a little more regularly than you may be doing or use a battery maintenance device in between drives..
Old 10-26-20, 11:34 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
I've had a similar problem a couple of times with my 2017. Yes the battery is now 3 years old but the problem for me has more so been the fact that I don't drive the car as often as it needs to be driven to keep the battery charged. As others have said, I would have the load test done and if that checks out you may want to run the car a little more regularly than you may be doing or use a battery maintenance device in between drives..
I only have one car, so it's the only one I drive. Haven't had to go out as much since the quarantine. Sometimes it can be more than a week before I use it again.

Yes, I will get the load test done.
Old 10-26-20, 11:56 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

I had a “fail to start” several months after buying mine. Thought it was the battery so after getting enough charge to get it going I took it to a battery shop where they load tested it and the charging system...all ok. The guy explained that a lot of short runs will slowly drain the battery on vehicles with lots of electronics (they can’t recharge as much on a short trip as the starting cycle is taking out) and that if you can’t get a good run in every few weeks you should put a charger on overnight once every two or three months to “top it up”. No problems since.

As an aside, I noticed at the stealership where I purchased that all of the cars in the showroom had trickle chargers hooked up.
Old 10-26-20, 12:07 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I had a “fail to start” several months after buying mine. Thought it was the battery so after getting enough charge to get it going I took it to a battery shop where they load tested it and the charging system...all ok. The guy explained that a lot of short runs will slowly drain the battery on vehicles with lots of electronics (they can’t recharge as much on a short trip as the starting cycle is taking out) and that if you can’t get a good run in every few weeks you should put a charger on overnight once every two or three months to “top it up”. No problems since.

As an aside, I noticed at the stealership where I purchased that all of the cars in the showroom had trickle chargers hooked up.
I hadn't heard that before, haha.
Old 10-27-20, 06:35 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
I only have one car, so it's the only one I drive. Haven't had to go out as much since the quarantine. Sometimes it can be more than a week before I use it again.

Yes, I will get the load test done.
Not driving it in more than a week's time would be enough to cause a battery drain that might be causing your issue. A battery maintainer device will help you keep the battery charged (even a new battery if needed) during those in-between runs.
Old 10-27-20, 06:38 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm. interesting comments in the thread. I have a noco smart charger - would it be advisable to use that here and there? Any potential issues doing this?
Old 10-27-20, 10:11 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I get the "System Loading" message when my car has sat for a month or so. I just give it a moment to reload and all seems to be fine. Since my wife and I have both retired, I see it all the time as we will switch back and forth between vehicles. I understand a battery tender would likely solve this "problem," that is if we consider it to be a problem. I find that if I at least take a drive periodically and don't let either of our vehicles sit for more than a few weeks without being run it also eliminates the chances of getting this message.

If this is damaging to the vehicle or battery in any way I hope someone will enlighten us.
The following users liked this post:
NoGo3 (10-28-20)
Old 10-27-20, 04:02 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by st1800
Take the battery to a local auto parts store like Autozone, pep boys or Riley and they can do a load test for you, no charge.
Originally Posted by afpj
I assume that you don't have a load tester...most auto parts stores that sell batteries can load test for free. A simple initial test is just use a voltmeter to check battery voltage when vehicle is cold. 12.6 is fully charged.12.2 is getting suspect. Also check battery cables for tightness, corrosion, electricals in general. Hoping this is an electrical issue that's easy to fix versus a software / hardware problem with your nav unit.
Originally Posted by Fillykonk
Not driving it in more than a week's time would be enough to cause a battery drain that might be causing your issue. A battery maintainer device will help you keep the battery charged (even a new battery if needed) during those in-between runs.
I'll go to an O'Reilly this weekend.

Are all car batteries 12.6 volts, for a sedan like mine?

Do you have a link to a battery maintainer device? How do I use it?

If the battery has to be replaced, what settings will be lost?
Old 10-27-20, 04:10 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Autozone has this for $80:

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...3_166555_25698

Costco has this for $90:

https://costco.interstatebatteries.c...137&Country=US
Old 10-28-20, 08:20 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I also get the "system loading" message when my '14 ES350 sits for about a month. Only issue is the nav system goes to the default factory settings on voice and speed ranges. This has happened with the original battery and its replacement so I suspect it is a navigation quirk.

For me it is easier to just re-enter my preferred nav settings than it would be to mess with a battery tender.

When I replaced my battery I dont think any settings were lost, but you may need to cycle the ignition switch a few times before starting to keep the alarm system happy.

Last edited by Nelexus88; 10-28-20 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: System loading message.