ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 06:05 AM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ESully
I really doubt it is the sensors in the tires. I have never seen that as an issue in my friends service station. I would believe it is a slow leak. As i mentioned in my previous post, finding slow leaks can be a very tedious process, and most will not want to spend the time it takes to track it down. A very slow leak will not be found unless the tire is submerged in a water tank with a lot of patience tracking down that small occasional air bubble .
Only turn on your tire pressure display first thing in the morning. The only accurate check of tire pressure is when they are cold in the morning without the sun shining on them. Once you are on the road, tires will have slightly different temperatures, whether from heat from rolling, cornering where more load is put on one side, stress from acceleration and braking, sun warming one side more than others, etc.
tire pressure, thank you for the reassurance, much appreciated!
Old 11-29-20, 02:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

In the Winter when its cold. I drive to a Tire air hose and put 39psi in all 4 tires. When I get in my car after it sits overnight, it shows exactly 36psi in all 4 tires Cold tire pressure before I drive.

Last edited by jgscott; 11-29-20 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikes01pet (12-11-20)
Old 11-29-20, 08:24 PM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Default Tire pressure

Thank you for that info ,,,,,,all 4 tires the same, as i thought it should be. Now to figure out whats wrong with my 10 month old tires. They have been doing this instulation.
Old 12-08-20, 03:54 AM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Originally Posted by Poppa
One thing that I've found to keep the tire pressure from fluctuating so much in extreme temperature changes is to use nitrogen to fill the tires. My last two sets of tires were filled with nitrogen and I don't think I've seen more than 1 lb of fluctuation in the air pressure since. I've seen this posted before, and debated before. I know nothing about the chemical properties of nitrogen. But I know for a fact that when my tires were filled with nitrogen the air pressure stayed constant ( within a lb ) whereas before, if the temperature dropped 30 degree's over night, the air pressure in my tires did as well.

Roland
so i had the tires filled with nitrogen yesterday, when I got into the car and checked the reading all four tires were different and not even to the recommended setting on the door panel. I went in and told them the numbers were off and they said oh you have to drive the car a bit before it will calibrate. (BS), So i left with 4 different readings and
I went 20 miles and it didn't calibrate to the recommended level and two tires were lower than the other 2. When I got in the car 4 hours later , 2 tires were down to 28. Going back this morning and not happy but will give them a chance to fix it or get my money back.. how could they let me leave with 4 different readings from the get-go

whenever professionals put air in my tires
all four tires will read the same at start.

Old 12-08-20, 05:40 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

It seems even air pressure is not a priority. I dropped off my car at the dealership for service last week. Loaner car did not feel balanced, even my wife said it felt a little off from the drivers seat.
I put the tire pressure display up on the dash, and saw tire pressure differences all over the place, 10 pound differences, 30psi left front to 40psi right rear, but not enough to set off the TPMS.
When I dropped off my car the pressures were perfect, but when I picked it up after the service, pressure differences where off by amount similar to the loaner.
I brought it to my friends shop and set all the pressures myself. Just checked this morning and cold pressure at 31 degrees was still where I like it, 34 psi all around.
Since you are using nitrogen and cannot fill at home, I would recommend you have the place overfill all your tires to 40 psi or so, and with a good gauge go out early in the morning when cold and then you can let air out to bring them all evenly down to recommended cold pressure.

Mikes01pet (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 06:24 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Yes, last thing they will look at (if they look at all). When I was buying mine and test drove it I found one tire down at 24 psi and the others all around 32. I mentioned it to the salesman and he said he'd look at it and have the mechanics even them out. I went in a couple of days later to pick the car up and that tire was still down...they'd never touched it. They topped it off before I drove home (120 miles) and within a couple of days it was down yet again. Took it to my tire dealer and they found a nail in the tire! So much for pre-delivery inspection.

(PS: the "theory" behind using nitrogen is that nitrogen molecules are "bigger" than oxygen molecules so they won't "leak out" through the rubber of the tire as easily. Since air is 80% nitrogen (this from Wikipedia: "By volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases."), that only leaves an additional 20% to have "bigger molecules" than air. The truth is, it's just another mechanism for removing money from your pocket and putting it in theirs. Leave nitrogen for the NOX guys.)

Last edited by Tootsall; 12-08-20 at 06:43 AM.
Mikes01pet (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 09:05 AM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Originally Posted by ESully
It seems even air pressure is not a priority. I dropped off my car at the dealership for service last week. Loaner car did not feel balanced, even my wife said it felt a little off from the drivers seat.
I put the tire pressure display up on the dash, and saw tire pressure differences all over the place, 10 pound differences, 30psi left front to 40psi right rear, but not enough to set off the TPMS.
When I dropped off my car the pressures were perfect, but when I picked it up after the service, pressure differences where off by amount similar to the loaner.
I brought it to my friends shop and set all the pressures myself. Just checked this morning and cold pressure at 31 degrees was still where I like it, 34 psi all around.
Since you are using nitrogen and cannot fill at home, I would recommend you have the place overfill all your tires to 40 psi or so, and with a good gauge go out early in the morning when cold and then you can let air out to bring them all evenly down to recommended cold pressure.
I brought it back this morning turns out the person that did it wasn't experienceed, they had the actual tire Tire Guy do it this morning and now it's perfect so far
Tootsall (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 09:08 AM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Yes, last thing they will look at (if they look at all). When I was buying mine and test drove it I found one tire down at 24 psi and the others all around 32. I mentioned it to the salesman and he said he'd look at it and have the mechanics even them out. I went in a couple of days later to pick the car up and that tire was still down...they'd never touched it. They topped it off before I drove home (120 miles) and within a couple of days it was down yet again. Took it to my tire dealer and they found a nail in the tire! So much for pre-delivery inspection.

(PS: the "theory" behind using nitrogen is that nitrogen molecules are "bigger" than oxygen molecules so they won't "leak out" through the rubber of the tire as easily. Since air is 80% nitrogen (this from Wikipedia: "By volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases."), that only leaves an additional 20% to have "bigger molecules" than air. The truth is, it's just another mechanism for removing money from your pocket and putting it in theirs. Leave nitrogen for the NOX guys.)
brought back this morning, yesterday the guy that did it was not experienced
they had the actual tire guy do it today and now is perfect so far. They said they do it twice and the sky yesterday only did it once
Old 12-11-20, 04:17 AM
Mikes01pet
Driver

[QUOTE=Poppa;10940237]One thing that I've found to keep the tire pressure from fluctuating so much in extreme temperature changes is to use nitrogen to fill the tires. My last two sets of tires were filled with nitrogen and I don't think I've seen more than 1 lb of fluctuation in the air pressure since. I've seen this posted before, and debated before. I know nothing about the chemical properties of nitrogen. But I know for a fact that when my tires were filled with nitrogen the air pressure stayed constant ( within a lb ) whereas before, if the temperature dropped 30 degree's over night, the air pressure in my tires did as well.

Hey thanks I tried the nitrogen so far so good but each tire still can have a different reading or two will be the same two different 3 will be the same one different but don't have to stop and put air in like I was before so thanks