ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Removing the driver side mirror.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 02:15 PM
Aarmes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the driver side mirror.

The housing of my driver side mirror cracked from a minor accident. None of the electronics broke luckily so I only need a new housing. I bought one and it's on the way but I want to know how to safely take off the mirror to reach the screws. Thank you!
Edit: This has heated mirrors if that makes a difference.
Old 12-08-20, 09:19 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Easy. All you need is a philips screwdriver, flat screwdriver (optional, it helps) and your fingers.

Tilt glass up (electronically or with your hands it doesn't matter)
"pop" glass from the plastic clips holding it on. Easiest way to do it is take your flat head screwdriver while tilting the glass even further with your fingers and unhook it from the bottom two plastic clips. If it doesn't budge/pop with hand pressure, use a screwdriver (preferably wrapped in a cloth) to separate the glass from the white plastic holder/clips. A plastic pry tool is preferred, but i've done tons of these mirrors with just my hands or a screwdriver. If you have heated glass, the glass will still be attached by a wire. simply undo the wire after the glass pops off. Set aside.

Take your philips screwdriver and undo all the black screws you can see (there's 4-5 of them) and all the mirror pieces should come apart in your hands after that.

Install is reverse. All the mirror pieces (cap and frame) should easily slide into one another when reinstalling. do not force anything. if something is jammed or won't budge, try again. Make sure you reattach the glass to the plastic clips firmly. Take note how the glass hooks into place on top then presses into place on the bottom. use a cloth to evenly distribute pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Aarmes (12-08-20)
Old 12-10-20, 05:42 PM
Aarmes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply E46CT, I will try that out today as the mirror has just arrived!