TPMS won’t initiate after switching to winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 05:32 AM
baxsus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TPMS won’t initiate after switching to winter tires

Hey!
I’ve put a set of new Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 for the winter at Discount Tire but can’t reset TPMS. I’m following the procedure, waiting for the light to blink 3 times, then wait for several minutes with power on. After driving for like half hour the emergency light starts blinking but shortly after goes out, no readings on pressure. I haven’t changed rims or sensors so don’t need programming ID’s in I think. Should I wait for readings to appear during “wait for several minutes with power on” procedure? 2014 model.
Old 12-09-20, 06:22 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Shouldn't Discount Tire have done this for you? Whenever I buy tires, they always reprogram them as part of the service if necessary.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickAz (12-12-20)
Old 12-09-20, 06:37 AM
baxsus
Driver School Candidate

I thought they took care of it but something is wrong. I’ll definitely stop by to get it sorted out.
Old 12-09-20, 07:03 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Are your winter tires on a different set of rims? If they are, did the tire shop install a new set of TPMS sensors? If they did, did they also clone them to match the ID codes of the originals? If they used the original rims and left the original sensors in place then something is wrong...perhaps a sensor got damaged during the changeout;. Yes, go back to the shop and ask for the manager.
Old 12-09-20, 08:12 AM
baxsus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tootsall;[url=tel:10949424
10949424[/url]]Are your winter tires on a different set of rims? If they are, did the tire shop install a new set of TPMS sensors? If they did, did they also clone them to match the ID codes of the originals? If they used the original rims and left the original sensors in place then something is wrong...perhaps a sensor got damaged during the changeout;. Yes, go back to the shop and ask for the manager.
I’ve not replaced neither rims nor sensors.
Old 12-09-20, 11:21 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Then I guess you should be talking to the manager...if they have a TPMS "tool", get him to check them individually.
Old 12-09-20, 05:46 PM
baxsus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Then I guess you should be talking to the manager...if they have a TPMS "tool", get him to check them individually.
That’s what I did. A guy just walked around my car with the tool and scanned each sensor and they started working.
The following 2 users liked this post by baxsus:
Mikes01pet (12-11-20), Tootsall (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20, 08:26 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by baxsus
That’s what I did. A guy just walked around my car with the tool and scanned each sensor and they started working.
Gotta love the simplest solutions!
Old 12-10-20, 06:17 AM
baxsus
Driver School Candidate

The simplest solution had stopped working as soon as I turned the engine over this morning. Readings just disappeared. ):
Old 12-12-20, 03:22 PM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

This happened to me after getting a tire rotation, I did reset procedure with the button under drivers side, was all good until the temps started dropping. Now I have to reset it to get the readings back every now and then. I suspect the previous owner used aftermarket tpms, I will deal with it when I get new tires.
Mikes01pet (12-14-20)
Old 12-12-20, 03:52 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by egk2lexus
This happened to me after getting a tire rotation, I did reset procedure with the button under drivers side, was all good until the temps started dropping. Now I have to reset it to get the readings back every now and then. I suspect the previous owner used aftermarket tpms, I will deal with it when I get new tires.
The lower temperatures probably dropped the pressure below the alarm point and when you reset it, you just reset the alarm point at the lower pressure. To prevent that, do a reset with the pressures about 30 psi and then raise the pressures back up to 33 but do not reset the TPMS. That will give you an extra 3 psi on the low side for those extra cold days that you experience in Michigan. (ie...instead of alarming at, say 29 psi you won't get an alarm until 26 psi) Every 10 deg F of temperature drop represents 1 psi of pressure drop in the tires.)
Mikes01pet (12-13-20)
Old 12-12-20, 04:22 PM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Good point, thanks! Will worry about it in the spring, just threw my winter wheels on, no tpms.
Old 12-13-20, 03:52 AM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Shouldn't Discount Tire have done this for you? Whenever I buy tires, they always reprogram them as part of the service if necessary.
they actually do that as part of the tire installation ? The place i brought tires to for installationsaid yo
we can't just do that for anybody it cost money you know. and I can never get 4 matching reading. Going for tire rotation tomorrow to a different place. I'll ask the. If they do it.
PatrickAz (12-13-20)
Old 12-13-20, 06:33 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

I think there is some confusion in terminology here: resetting the TPMS is done by just pushing that button under the dash. This is required when the sensors may end up in different locations than when they were last used...as happens when tires are rotated or remounted. Programming requires that new or different sensors have different ID codes than what the car's computer is looking for and requires a much more involved process. That's why when, after buying aftermarket sensors, you need to ensure that they are "cloned" so that the ID codes match the codes of the OEM sensors just taken off.
Mikes01pet (12-13-20)
Old 12-13-20, 07:43 AM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I think there is some confusion in terminology here: resetting the TPMS is done by just pushing that button under the dash. This is required when the sensors may end up in different locations than when they were last used...as happens when tires are rotated or remounted. Programming requires that new or different sensors have different ID codes than what the car's computer is looking for and requires a much more involved process. That's why when, after buying aftermarket sensors, you need to ensure that they are "cloned" so that the ID codes match the codes of the OEM sensors just taken off.
boy I guess there is miss information, I can't believe tire installer didn't know that. Thank you
I am going to try that

Quick Reply: TPMS won’t initiate after switching to winter tires