ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Paint Bubbling/Peeling on 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 10:09 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by LisaES350
Thank you for your replies. I took it to the Lexus collision center and they told me they've never seen anything like this on an 8 year old car and advised that I call corporate. They said I was looking at a minimum of $8,000. I'll look around for additional quotes as I'm sure the Lexus body shop is more expensive than most.

I am the original owner and it has always been washed at a hand wash place and I've been diligent about waxing. The plastics started fading about a year ago and the hood started about 5-6 months ago. There has never been a repair or paint done on the hood. So disappointing. My lock actuators have been replaced but other than that the car has been great. Seems that all is well mechanically. Wasn't planning on spending thousands on a paint job at this point. Ugh!
The appearance to me is that it has been repainted. Lexus parts have the Vin# sticker on the Hood. Check to see if the Vin sticker on the Hood matches you car Vin#.

Looks like a repaint from a Body shop or something. The next thought is back in the day people washed their cars with Joy and Dawn with took off the paint and clearcoat. If wash with dish wash soap or anything like that even if it was Lexus Factory paint it would do what your is. Lexus has one of the best thickest Paints. You can also ask a shop that has a Digital paint meter to check a part of the Hood that's not Peeling to get a feel of Original or Repaint?

If original then discuss with Lexus.
Old 01-15-21, 01:04 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

Dish washing soap doesn't cause that kind of problem. It does a great job removing wax but not paint.
The following 2 users liked this post by sktn77a:
13phoenix1 (07-28-23), bc6152 (01-15-21)
Old 01-15-21, 01:26 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Dish washing soap doesn't cause that kind of problem. It does a great job removing wax but not paint.
Agree...
Researching information regarding dish detergent vs. soap designed for car paint, it's almost universally stated that dish detergent will not harm paint or clear coat but will strip off any wax that is necessary to protect the paint. Dish soap not to blame in this case...
The following users liked this post:
13phoenix1 (07-28-23)
Old 01-15-21, 05:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Ok how long was the Research time washing? I've heard that years back that Joy did strip Clearcoat used long term.

But maybe it does not?
Old 01-18-21, 01:16 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Just for your info, that does not appear to be factory Lexus clear. Clear coat coming off like that is usually from very poor prep or spraying clear over already dry base. I once bought a Honda Accord (1991) off the showroom floor (6 miles). After having a wheel bearing issue early and paint issues around 5 years old I learned that it was wrecked in transit from the factory. Never got anything from Honda because they had nothing in their records.

Find a body shop locally to repaint the top. I would not pay over 2,000 to have the top repainted.

Last edited by rmak; 01-18-21 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-18-21, 05:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by rmak
Just for your info, that does not appear to be factory Lexus clear. Clear coat coming off like that is usually from very poor prep or spraying clear over already dry base. I once bought a Honda Accord (1991) off the showroom floor (6 miles). After having a wheel bearing issue early and paint issues around 5 years old I learned that it was wrecked in transit from the factory. Never got anything from Honda because they had nothing in their records.

Find a body shop locally to repaint the top. I would not pay over 2,000 to have the top repainted.
Your theory is what I also think happened. I believe that this hood was damaged and repainted and the car was sold as new and undamaged. Somebody pulled a fast one....
Old 01-29-21, 07:24 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rmak

I purchased the vehicle from a Lexus dealership brand new with 12 miles on the speedometer. There has never been body work/paint on the hood.
13phoenix1 (07-28-23)
Old 01-29-21, 07:25 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Originally Posted by Littleguy
If I were in your shoes I would just have them paint the hood and antenna and live with it.
I'm getting quotes to repair the hood, the plastics, and the other areas that are starting to bubble. Will almost be the entire vehicle.
Old 01-29-21, 07:27 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Your theory is what I also think happened. I believe that this hood was damaged and repainted and the car was sold as new and undamaged. Somebody pulled a fast one....
Is there any way I can see if the Lexus dealer did body work before I purchased the vehicle? I purchased brand new with only 12 miles on the speedometer.
Old 01-29-21, 08:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 688 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by LisaES350
Is there any way I can see if the Lexus dealer did body work before I purchased the vehicle? I purchased brand new with only 12 miles on the speedometer.
Find a place with a paint depth gauge. That would be where I would start.
Old 02-02-21, 10:46 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought a 2016 CPO, and when I joined https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers it does show the front and rear bumpers were repainted on mine.
I also wonder if particular colors are more prone to failure. Your paint looks a lot like my red Honda's paint failure. I also noticed a similar car to mine, same color with same paint failure, while others around the same age in a different color looked fine.

Last edited by ESully; 02-02-21 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 11:16 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by ESully
I also wonder if particular colors are more prone to failure. Your paint looks a lot like my red Honda's paint failure. I also noticed a similar car to mine, same color with same paint failure, while others around the same age in a different color looked fine.
There was a time when some colors were more prone to that kind of damage from prolonged exposure to the sun, and red was one of the colors that was vulnerable. I was, however, under the impression that, with improvements in paint technology, that that was no longer the case.
Old 02-02-21, 01:38 PM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

LIkely not possible for you to find repaint evidence. Your finish is down to metal. Problem you're facing is the fact this happened 8 years later. No chance they're doing anything about that now.

Need to check where you park regularly. I remember my mother's car was always subject to tree sap from where she parked at work.

Something's been settling on your surfaces and eating away at the clearcoat. (otherwise your doors would be messed up too)

Maybe vinyl wrap it in a carbon?
jgscott (02-02-21)
Old 02-14-21, 11:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm thinking your car "fell off the truck" when it was new and they had to repaint the hood. Sucks ***, but not much you can do unless you bought the car new at a local dealer, had it serviced there and know some people you can press some screws into.
Old 02-15-21, 12:54 PM
tronimrich
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Any chance you had it parked and never moved it in the same uncovered spot for a period of months?

Quick Reply: Paint Bubbling/Peeling on 2013