ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Paint Bubbling/Peeling on 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 09:45 PM
13phoenix1
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LisaES350
I know how you feel. I was humiliated to drive the car. I did go to a Lexus collision shop and they told me to call corporate. I have a case on file but they were not willing to do anything at this point but told me to save any receipts for the repair as there may be something they can do in the future. I poured my heart out to them but until the case load hits a certain number, there is nothing they can do. What year is your ES? I should check in with corporate periodically to see if they're willing to reimburse.
Me as well - it was such a BEAUTIFUL color but now?... omg it really looks diseased. It's not only embarrassing, but it's hard to fathom WHY a luxury brand like Lexus would be fine with so many of their vehicles on the road looking like this AND so many of their loyal customers - who've paid a very large price to have their vehicle(s) - being ignored, &/or expected to shell out ANOTHER $8-10K bc of LEXUS' FAILED PAINT/CLEAR COAT ON ALL MATADOR RED MICA vehicles, regardless of meticulous care.
We should all get together with our vehicles AND with lots of media cameras, THEN get a class action lawsuit started, together. I'm very serious about this - anyone else in?
Old 01-03-23, 02:01 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by 13phoenix1
Me as well - it was such a BEAUTIFUL color but now?... omg it really looks diseased. It's not only embarrassing, but it's hard to fathom WHY a luxury brand like Lexus would be fine with so many of their vehicles on the road looking like this AND so many of their loyal customers - who've paid a very large price to have their vehicle(s) - being ignored, &/or expected to shell out ANOTHER $8-10K bc of LEXUS' FAILED PAINT/CLEAR COAT ON ALL MATADOR RED MICA vehicles, regardless of meticulous care.
We should all get together with our vehicles AND with lots of media cameras, THEN get a class action lawsuit started, together. I'm very serious about this - anyone else in?
Unlikely you'll get sufficient traction on a low volume color. Toyota had similar issues with their white paint, it wasn't the clear coat, but the paint actually peals off.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...c-5bf1e7904c16
Old 05-26-23, 06:32 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LisaES350
Is anyone having issues with their paint bubbling and peeling on their 2013? I've taken great care of the car and am very disappointed with the paint. Lexus corporate won't do anything unless there is a recall or campaign.

No disrespect but when you say you take care of the car, I am not sure you know what that means with regard to paint specifically. That is clearcoat failure and a ton of oxidation. There is no protection on that paint what so ever.
Old 07-28-23, 07:34 PM
13phoenix1
10th Gear

"No disrespect"...? At this rate, MOST Lexus Matador Red Mica vehicles have this issue. Whether wax type, garaged/not garaged, wash type, soap type etc etc, when it's a very high percentage of Lexus vehicles with this color paint/clear coat FAILING, it's time to stop the old Blaming the Victims of this & blame the "luxury brand" itselt. We pay so much more for these vehicles, expecting excellent vehicles inside & out. Why Lexus thinks it's fine to have their vehicles look diseased with this failing paint/clear coat FOR YEARS driving around looking so hideous, I don't understand. We need to start a lawsuit to push them to stand behind their brand. Mine is 2010 & has this happening DESPITE being garaged or covered with high quality car cover. Enough blaming us!
Old 07-28-23, 08:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,332 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Even still you do need to put a quality wax of some sort on you car to help treat and protect the paint finish.
Old 07-30-23, 05:46 PM
13phoenix1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
Even still you do need to put a quality wax of some sort on you car to help treat and protect the paint finish.
YES, JG, WHICH I DO & HAVE ALWAYS DONE EVEN WITH LESS EXPENSIVE VEHICLES. WHAT SLOWED PROGRESS ON THE HATCH DOOR, THE FIRST PLACE BUBBLING BEGAN, & KEPT IT FROM INCREASING FOR A FEW YEARS IS:

Ethos Resist - UV Ceramic Coating for Cars

I GET IT THRU AMAZON.
REGARDLESS OF GARAGING & CARE, THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY OF US WITH MATADOR RED MICA THAT HAVE BEEN IGNORED BY LEXUS. SURPRISED THEY'RE OK WITH THEIR BRAND BEING DRIVEN AROUND LOOKING DISEASED & NOT STEPPING UP TO CARE FOR WHAT HAS BECOME CLEARLY A LEXUS FAILURE. I EXPECTED BETTER FROM THIS BRAND FOR THE $$$ & THE REPUTATION THEY USED TO HAVE -
Old 07-30-23, 05:53 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,332 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by 13phoenix1
YES, JG, WHICH I DO & HAVE ALWAYS DONE EVEN WITH LESS EXPENSIVE VEHICLES. WHAT SLOWED PROGRESS ON THE HATCH DOOR, THE FIRST PLACE BUBBLING BEGAN, & KEPT IT FROM INCREASING FOR A FEW YEARS IS:

Ethos Resist - UV Ceramic Coating for Cars

I GET IT THRU AMAZON.
REGARDLESS OF GARAGING & CARE, THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY OF US WITH MATADOR RED MICA THAT HAVE BEEN IGNORED BY LEXUS. SURPRISED THEY'RE OK WITH THEIR BRAND BEING DRIVEN AROUND LOOKING DISEASED & NOT STEPPING UP TO CARE FOR WHAT HAS BECOME CLEARLY A LEXUS FAILURE. I EXPECTED BETTER FROM THIS BRAND FOR THE $$$ & THE REPUTATION THEY USED TO HAVE -
Do you have a pic of your car paint and problem? Also relax, and stop Capping.
The following users liked this post:
shoodes (07-31-23)
Old 07-31-23, 09:24 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 2017 ES in Matador Red Mica (3R1).

Haven't had any paint issues as of yet, but I am also not within the years that everyone else is reporting. I'm not the first owner, but the previous owner seemed to never take it to automatic car washes and got it consistently detailed.

I hand-wash my vehicles and apply a sealant/wax every time, hopefully I don't run into any issues. This thread has me worried now haha