ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How do you condition your leather seats . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21 | 07:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Default How do you condition your leather seats . . .

Just bought a 2014 ES350, black leather. Leather is in good shape and I'd like to keep it that way, but you know it has that sort of "greasy" shine that black leather can get after some use(or maybe using the wrong products). Also are the seats in my car even leather??? I know in some Lexus cars they used a synthetic material as the base option. The wear pattern looks like leather, car has a bunch of options like sunroof, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, navigation, power rear sunshade, etc.

What do you use to treat your seats??

In the past I've used leatherique(http://www.leatherique.com/) products, going back to when I owned a 1991 Cadillac Brougham in the late 00's. Great product, requires a bit of patience(aka let your car sit in the sun for 8 hours to absorb the product), works great to give some life back to older, hard/stiff leather. Still have a bit of that stuff left that's been sitting on the shelf for 10+ years since my past two cars had cloth seats. Its probably no good by now though. Order more leatherique or is there something better???
Old 02-11-21 | 08:13 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Enter your VIN to this page and “read all about it”. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vindecoder.php
The following users liked this post:
jberry8461 (02-12-21)
Old 02-12-21 | 07:54 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

I have used Ultma Interior Shampoo on my '14 ES350 seats and interior since it was new. It has the Luxury package with parchment seats so they need regular cleaning. It has worked well for me.
Old 02-14-21 | 06:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
I have used Ultma Interior Shampoo on my '14 ES350 seats and interior since it was new. It has the Luxury package with parchment seats so they need regular cleaning. It has worked well for me.
Thanks for the tip!!
Old 02-15-21 | 03:08 AM
GSCowboy
9th Gear

Default Gs Cowboy

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Thanks for the tip!!
On my 2013 GS 350 luxury edition and my wife ES 350 I’ve been using Lexol and both still looks great and have some what of the new car smell,
Old 02-15-21 | 04:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Also are the seats in my car even leather??? I know in some Lexus cars they used a synthetic material as the base option. The wear pattern looks like leather, car has a bunch of options like sunroof, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, navigation, power rear sunshade, etc.
For a 2014 ES, if your seats are not perforated, the seats are the Lexus NuLuxe fake leather.

On the other hand, if you have the perforated heated and ventilated seats, which appears to be the case with your car, you have the standard leather seats, but, if your driver's seat has the thigh extender, you would have a car with the Ultra Luxury package and the nicer semi-aniline leather seats.

Again, from what you described, it appears that you have a Luxury package car with the standard leather seats.
oreguyd (02-18-21)
Old 02-16-21 | 10:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lesz
For a 2014 ES, if your seats are not perforated, the seats are the Lexus NuLuxe fake leather.

On the other hand, if you have the perforated heated and ventilated seats, which appears to be the case with your car, you have the standard leather seats, but, if your driver's seat has the thigh extender, you would have a car with the Ultra Luxury package and the nicer semi-aniline leather seats.

Again, from what you described, it appears that you have a Luxury package car with the standard leather seats.
Yeah it has the standard leather seats, no thigh extender. Also reading the owners manual, I'm guessing cars with the "ultra luxury" package also had radar guided cruiser control, one thing my car doesn't have that I wish it did. I didn't think in 2014 radar guided cruise control had even been invented, didn't think to look for it when I bought the car. I know most of the ES cars I looked at on Carvana were equipped like mine, passed on a pearl white car cause it didn't have heated/ventilated seats despite it having 20k less miles and $1000 cheaper.
Old 02-17-21 | 01:57 AM
BMGS
Racer

Modern leather has a coating on it, a traditional conditioner won't do much other than sit on the surface. This is evidenced by your user manual which should have the instructions to clean with a 5% diluted Woolite solution. There is no mention of conditioners since they know what the leather composition is. I would try that to remove any of the greasy residue.

A conditioner shouldn't hurt but just use whatever you like for the scent. I like Zaino Leather In A Bottle, again for the scent only and with no expectation of a conditioning effect.

I also use 303 UV protectant to keep that top layer intact and free from UV damage over the years.
Old 02-17-21 | 03:30 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Yeah it has the standard leather seats, no thigh extender. Also reading the owners manual, I'm guessing cars with the "ultra luxury" package also had radar guided cruiser control, one thing my car doesn't have that I wish it did. I didn't think in 2014 radar guided cruise control had even been invented, didn't think to look for it when I bought the car. I know most of the ES cars I looked at on Carvana were equipped like mine, passed on a pearl white car cause it didn't have heated/ventilated seats despite it having 20k less miles and $1000 cheaper.
Radar cruise control, automatic collision avoidance braking, and lane keep assist were all available at the start of the Generation 6 ES run starting with the 2013 model year, but they were options. All of those features became standard on the ES starting with the 2017 model year.
Old 02-18-21 | 12:25 AM
oreguyd
Driver

Mine car has perforated with heat/vent seats. I now know mine are standard, but not NuLuxe. Plus what helps define Ultra Luxury pkg. I'm the 3rd owner and the seller did not have the original sticker,
Old 02-18-21 | 04:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oreguyd
Mine car has perforated with heat/vent seats. I now know mine are standard, but not NuLuxe. Plus what helps define Ultra Luxury pkg. I'm the 3rd owner and the seller did not have the original sticker,
There are a number of easily identifiable features that came on an ES with the UL package and that were not available at all with the Luxury package, Premium package, or base ES. Those features include the thigh extender on the driver's seat, the panoramic roof, sun shades for the back seat side windows, and memory buttons for the front passenger seat.

It does sound, from your description here and in other threads, like your car is a Luxury package ES, but the most of the features that you have were available even on lower trim levels as options. So, it is hard to tell for certain from what you have said which package below the UL package you have.
oreguyd (02-18-21)
Old 02-19-21 | 08:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oreguyd
Do you have Dual Panoramic Sun Roofs and 18" Factory Wheels?

Last edited by jgscott; 02-19-21 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-20-21 | 06:36 AM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Easy to use and effective, Griot's Garage Leather Care spray, leaves a non greasy surface, darkens the color and even leaves a nice new leather smell.

Old 02-21-21 | 06:13 AM
oreguyd
Driver

18" wheels, yes. Panoramic sun roofs, no and I don't like the look of them, either. I think from reading other posts my car has the Luxury Pkg, but not the Ultra Lux. The seat extender would be a good idea for tall people.