ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 01:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Lexus says that the tranny fluid is permanent and not to be flushed or changed. Not time or mileage based. Never requires changing or refilling...
I think the book says to change if you used to Tow. That's Not never.
Old 03-02-21, 04:50 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Maintenance schedule for Avalon/V-6 Camry are to replace transmission fluid every 72 months/92,000 Km (50,000 miles) " if you tow, use a camper or car-top carrier" Exact same engine/transmission as ES350. HOWEVER...Lexus does not recommend you "tow, use a camper, or car-top carrier" (even though you can find hitches and roof racks that will fit). This seems to suggest that heavy duty use, regardless of the decals, badges, and labels, requires that the transmission fluid be changed fairly frequently! (Italics are mine). For the price, I'd say it's a pretty inexpensive way to ensure the looong life of your car. My appointment is for this Friday with 80,000 miles of non-towing, non-camping, non-rooftop carrier use. A replacement transmission cost I do not need.

Last edited by Tootsall; 03-02-21 at 04:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
st1800 (03-02-21)
Old 03-03-21, 08:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I've talked to a number of Toyota/Lexus Techs about the Lifetime fluid. They all said change it based on the experiences they have had.

My 2013 ES350 U/L had 150k on it. I changed it (drain and fill) every 40k just as my own personal choice. I only had my Toyota Dealer do a drain and fill each time. They charged about $65 labor, and I gave them 2 $14 bottles of Valvoline Full Synthetic Trans Fluid from Walmart each time. The Toyota fluid is Not Full Synthetic. My Transmission shifted smoother and smoother every time, and it quit Whinnying like it use to.

My 2013 GS 350 Lux only has 36k on it, I changed it (drain and fill) once already due to time. I'll be changing it much more frequently now, because I sold my ES and will be driving the GS more now. That's my choice. Like Tootsall said, a replacement transmission cost I do not need either.
lji (05-16-21)
Old 03-06-21, 06:30 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Here is my research:
1. most toyota dealers will be happy to replace your “life time” ATF fluid in Lexus
2. Only some Lexus dealers will replace it.

It seems to be related to dealership service department policy/training. Some Lexus dealers have company stand not to change it, they dont want to be involved if you have issues, plus they can always point to a book and say: “manual says its life time”

Old 03-06-21, 06:55 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Let ‘em point...I’m way off warrantee anyway and have zero intention of using Lexus dealership unless I have a serious programming issue for which Toyota can’t help. (Closest Toyota dealer...7 miles; closest Lexus dealer...140 miles).
Old 04-17-21, 03:44 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Lexus says that the tranny fluid is permanent and not to be flushed or changed. Not time or mileage based. Never requires changing or refilling...
This is what happens to 6th gen ES owners that don't change the fluid:

Old 04-17-21, 07:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

This?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...geability.html
Old 04-18-21, 02:21 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

well I had this very conversation with a service dept. manager earlier this week. I had taken my 2010 Toyota 4 Runner in for an oil change and as I was leaving I saw the service manager and asked him what they recommended for my 4 Runner. I know we're discussing Lexus here but since I just had this conversation I thought it might be good for comparison sake. The gentleman told me that they recommend changing your tranny fluid every 100K miles or 7 years. My 4 Runner is at 85K miles but it's 11 years old, so it was suggested I have the tranny fluid changed when I bring it back for another oil change at 90K miles. I specifically asked if they did it by drain and fill to which he said no because whatever pan ( not sure of what it is called ) they drop will only get rid of a small portion of the old fluid. This particular dealership uses a BG Transmission pump system. I fall into the camp that believes all fluids break down over time, especially over 11 years and being driven in Louisiana heat, so I'm going to look into it. Not sure which way I'll go, but I wanted to post this since the OP asked about this subject.
Old 04-18-21, 07:36 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

These posts and debate has been going on literally for years on these forums. It's the "we don't trust the Lexus statement that the tranny fluid is permanent" vs. those who DO trust Lexusthat the "fluid never needs changing'. Whatever the true and correct answer is, it's time to put this to rest and move on. For me, I won't own the car long enough to worry as I usually dump it around 50k or even less mileage. Geez, give it a rest. You want to change? Go for it... No change? Have a good life and stay healthy... Take your wife/partner/girlfriend out with the money you saved.
Old 04-18-21, 09:49 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

These posts and debate has been going on literally for years on these forums. It's the "we don't trust the Lexus statement that the tranny fluid is permanent" vs. those who DO trust Lexusthat the "fluid never needs changing'. Whatever the true and correct answer is, it's time to put this to rest and move on. For me, I won't own the car long enough to worry as I usually dump it around 50k or even less mileage. Geez, give it a rest. You want to change? Go for it... No change? Have a good life and stay healthy... Take your wife/partner/girlfriend out with the money you saved.
Amen! You got that right bc6152
bc6152 (04-18-21)
Old 04-18-21, 10:59 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Poppa
well I had this very conversation with a service dept. manager earlier this week. I had taken my 2010 Toyota 4 Runner in for an oil change and as I was leaving I saw the service manager and asked him what they recommended for my 4 Runner. I know we're discussing Lexus here but since I just had this conversation I thought it might be good for comparison sake. The gentleman told me that they recommend changing your tranny fluid every 100K miles or 7 years. My 4 Runner is at 85K miles but it's 11 years old, so it was suggested I have the tranny fluid changed when I bring it back for another oil change at 90K miles. I specifically asked if they did it by drain and fill to which he said no because whatever pan ( not sure of what it is called ) they drop will only get rid of a small portion of the old fluid. This particular dealership uses a BG Transmission pump system. I fall into the camp that believes all fluids break down over time, especially over 11 years and being driven in Louisiana heat, so I'm going to look into it. Not sure which way I'll go, but I wanted to post this since the OP asked about this subject.
Poppa good info. If I would were you I would pass on the Flush Machine. It will dislodge particles and contaminates right through the entire Valve Bodies and filter only to possibly get lodged in stuck somewhere, especially at that age and mileage. I've had the Toyota shop Guys tell me the Flush system is mostly for ease of use for the shop.

Me I would get the Valvoline Toyota Fluid type and do a drain and fill only. I would do it the next 3 oil changes. There is a Toyota shop service bill code I posted here somewhere before that's only about $60 for the service and the Fluid can be found at Walmart for only about $20 bucks for a gallon. After its done you will hear and feel the difference.
Poppa (04-18-21)
Old 04-18-21, 11:09 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes.......... thus I'm not sure why there is even a concern that you have about it? When a topic is posted I'm NOT interested in doing I don't repeat posting in it. Now you are telling Members here to stop discussing it?

Talk about Losing/Saving money? Buying a Brand New Car, keeping it and hardly driving it a few years and then getting rid of it? What a huge , huge Loss of value and money. You should be Leasing Not buying. You could go on Major Vacations with that loss! lol!

Last edited by jgscott; 04-18-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 12:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

[QUOTE=jgscott;11035628] Now you are telling Members here to stop discussing it?

I'm not telling members to do anything... This subject has been discussed ad nauseam over a period of ... years... It will not be resolved. Some want to, some don't... WGAFF? (I don't)... Fill in the dotted lines...
Old 04-18-21, 04:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Its actually even simpler than that for You. I have a much better more Mature recommendation especially for you, so you can relax and stop Whining. Next time and this time you see a Transmission Thread and Post.

DONT CLICK THE THREAD! Will that not solve the problem for you? This will allow YOU to Rest and move on. lol!

Promise us you wont Post the same you post I don't keep my cars long, blah, blah, blah, blah,............. in every Tranny Fluid thread again ever. Its of No help what's so ever anyway.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-18-21 at 07:46 PM.
st1800 (04-22-21)
Old 04-22-21, 01:14 PM
TSung
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My personal experience is that I did my first drain and fill at 100k miles and am now going to do a drain and fill every 45k miles. I may shorten the interval since I mostly do city driving. I wish I would've done my first drain and fill at 60k miles though. Also, I would never do a flush.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid