ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

SOLD My 13 ES350 U/L - GONE

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-21, 05:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,369 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Interesting observations. An Korean car publication drove them back to back and found the 2016 improved in handling and sound insulation. This was on the hybrid.
If I remember correctly the Hybrid, due to the weight distribution and battery weight has different Struts and things, I think? The 2016 ES350 I drove did have a much more cushy soft suspension at the disadvantage of handling, vs my 2013 was way more planted with far less dive and body roll.
Old 12-30-21, 06:51 PM
Lead Lap

Received 784 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
If I remember correctly the Hybrid, due to the weight distribution and battery weight has different Struts and things, I think? The 2016 ES350 I drove did have a much more cushy soft suspension at the disadvantage of handling, vs my 2013 was way more planted with far less dive and body roll.
For the same model year, the front strut of the ES350 is shared with the ES300h, the rear strut for the ES300h is not shared with the ES350. Coil springs are the same for both ESh and ES. Of course, 2016 models have updated struts and coils.

The translated review is pretty much the opposite of what you are saying on the 2016:

"The ride itself is oriented towards comfort. However, compared to the existing ES, it feels a little more solid. The difference is particularly large when passing the curb section. Rather than simply saying that it is hardened, it cleanly catches the part that sways after the impact. This is the point where it differs from the previous model, which only emphasized ride comfort.

Of course, the lower body of the ES tends to focus a little more on softness. You may be thinking, 'Then the high-speed stability will be insufficient'. However, the high-speed stability of the ES has been significantly improved. It is not burdensome even when cruising in an area of ​​160 km/h or more. In particular, the feeling of the car floating has disappeared. And it became more quiet.

This may seem meaningless to the main consumer base of ES. However, the improvement of driving stability and the increase of body rigidity also help to realize a luxurious ride quality. Suspension without unnecessary wobble also allows for comfortable driving. The improved body rigidity also serves to filter the body first when a road shock occurs. Ultimately, this is what makes driving more comfortable."

http://www.autoview.co.kr/content/bu...ide&pageshow=3

Old 12-30-21, 08:26 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
For the same model year, the front strut of the ES350 is shared with the ES300h, the rear strut for the ES300h is not shared with the ES350. Coil springs are the same for both ESh and ES. Of course, 2016 models have updated struts and coils.

The translated review is pretty much the opposite of what you are saying on the 2016:

"The ride itself is oriented towards comfort. However, compared to the existing ES, it feels a little more solid. The difference is particularly large when passing the curb section. Rather than simply saying that it is hardened, it cleanly catches the part that sways after the impact. This is the point where it differs from the previous model, which only emphasized ride comfort.

Of course, the lower body of the ES tends to focus a little more on softness. You may be thinking, 'Then the high-speed stability will be insufficient'. However, the high-speed stability of the ES has been significantly improved. It is not burdensome even when cruising in an area of ​​160 km/h or more. In particular, the feeling of the car floating has disappeared. And it became more quiet.

This may seem meaningless to the main consumer base of ES. However, the improvement of driving stability and the increase of body rigidity also help to realize a luxurious ride quality. Suspension without unnecessary wobble also allows for comfortable driving. The improved body rigidity also serves to filter the body first when a road shock occurs. Ultimately, this is what makes driving more comfortable."

http://www.autoview.co.kr/content/bu...ide&pageshow=3
IMO that was a strange review. But.... to each their own. We may be talking 2 different things? Your original mention of solidness on the road was something I was never had a problem or concern with. I do know that at high speed movements, the 2016 was not as planted as my 2013. Again I advised that I did have some modification of Tires and suspension, and the struts did not allow as much body roll as the 2016 did. I also noticed your article mentioned they were happy with the 2016 on winding roads with the dreaded Bridgestone tire no less?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...xus-es-review/
What We Like: Comfort is king in the Lexus ES. A soft suspension absorbs bumps and road imperfections with aplomb.
Overview: Not everyone likes to drive, feel the road through the seat of their pants, or hear the roar of an engine at full throttle, and the 2016 Lexus ES aims for that clientele.
What We Don’t Like: In its effort to make the ES one of the plushest cars in its category, Lexus has removed any driver engagement from the ES, although that is a key to its success.
Verdict: The perfect car for those who prize comfort and serenity over driving engagement.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus/es350/2016/

However, steering feel is lacking and doesn't tell the driver what the front wheels are doing. In a comparison test that also included the Hyundai Azera and Buick LaCrosse, a pre-refresh ES 350 placed third because its cabin didn't have enough sound deadening and subpar build quality.
Old 02-11-22, 12:29 AM
Jasones350
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So I SOLD my very faithful 2013 ES350 U/L just a few days ago. I did a Private Owner to Owner Sale. Listed it lots of places and someone from 3 hours away out of State came and bought it Cash. The Car had 149K on the Odometer.

I got the Car 3 1/2 years ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/866951-just-got-this-2013-es350-w-a-surprise.html

In 3 1/years it only cost me $4100 in Depreciable Value. For about 3 1/2 years of driving. To say the least when I realized this, I could not be happier with a Car. I tried to think what went wrong with it, and about the only things were a Oil leak from the Oil sending sensor Toyota Dealer fixed $150, and a O2 Sensor. Before I Sold it, I had it Inspected in the Lexus Shop and they said there was not one thing they found wrong with it or that it needed.

At the end of the day, I would say the ES350 is a Great Car. I already miss the ride quality and getting in my ES350. With 149K I spent alot of time in the Car and enjoyed every min of it every time. Ill still be coming here to the ES Forum.

I attached a few pics I put on my ads of the car before I Sold it.

Fly under the radar.
Old 02-11-22, 12:30 AM
Jasones350
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So I SOLD my very faithful 2013 ES350 U/L just a few days ago. I did a Private Owner to Owner Sale. Listed it lots of places and someone from 3 hours away out of State came and bought it Cash. The Car had 149K on the Odometer.

I got the Car 3 1/2 years ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/866951-just-got-this-2013-es350-w-a-surprise.html

In 3 1/years it only cost me $4100 in Depreciable Value. For about 3 1/2 years of driving. To say the least when I realized this, I could not be happier with a Car. I tried to think what went wrong with it, and about the only things were a Oil leak from the Oil sending sensor Toyota Dealer fixed $150, and a O2 Sensor. Before I Sold it, I had it Inspected in the Lexus Shop and they said there was not one thing they found wrong with it or that it needed.

At the end of the day, I would say the ES350 is a Great Car. I already miss the ride quality and getting in my ES350. With 149K I spent alot of time in the Car and enjoyed every min of it every time. Ill still be coming here to the ES Forum.

I attached a few pics I put on my ads of the car before I Sold it.

Fly under the radar.

Il never get rid of her. 2014 UL
The following users liked this post:
Mikes01pet (02-11-22)
Old 02-13-22, 05:19 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea that's right it was a J Vin # car. All Built in Japan.

I didn't know they discontinued the Pass Side Memory Seat? Build Quality and Fit and Finish on my 13 U/L was a 10+. The ES stayed tight quite no noise nothing ever rattle or squeaked or made any noise even over Rail Road Tracks. LOL!

I drove my GS350 on a 10 hour Trip. It only has 37k on it. During the Trip, I wished I was in the ES.

Love those sun curtain in rear seats..
But Lexus dealers nowdays are CHEAP OUT for those options... so sad
Old 02-13-22, 08:45 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KuroYuki
Love those sun curtain in rear seats..
But Lexus dealers nowdays are CHEAP OUT for those options... so sad
Curtains have never been offered in any base model ES. Always only on the top trims.
st1800 (02-14-22)
Old 02-16-22, 05:58 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
they don't build em like that anymore. A memory seat on the passenger side just does not exist anymore on the new gen, as well as the build quality and fit and finish.
Is only AMERICAN, USA version.... Is getting SAD....

Canada and Asian Taiwan, Japan, China, Hongkong...
Their ES350 have rear doors Suncurtain, Heated steering wheel and both passenger heat seats....

USA Lexus dealer greedy stripping everything so they can get maximum profits...
I got a lady asking me why my Lexus 2017 have rear Auto sun curtain , she said her 2019 Lexus ES bought from Dealer have nothing, no sun curtain, no heated seats or steering wheel.
Old 02-16-22, 08:11 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by KuroYuki
Is only AMERICAN, USA version.... Is getting SAD....

Canada and Asian Taiwan, Japan, China, Hongkong...
Their ES350 have rear doors Suncurtain, Heated steering wheel and both passenger heat seats....

USA Lexus dealer greedy stripping everything so they can get maximum profits...
I got a lady asking me why my Lexus 2017 have rear Auto sun curtain , she said her 2019 Lexus ES bought from Dealer have nothing, no sun curtain, no heated seats or steering wheel.
KY, most of those options are on the higher levels of option packages, not every vehicle. And yes, different regions around the world have different option packages, and they change from year to year. I highly doubt USA dealer is “stripping” vehicles of options before they sell them.

Research before purchasing to understand what’s available and then buying the vehicle with the options you want is the solution.
Old 02-17-22, 09:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Just get a U/L with lots of other stuff too, and call it a day. Especially if looking for Pre Owned.
st1800 (02-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 01:32 PM
Lead Lap

Yes the ES cannot be as well equipped as other country regardless of the trim in the US. It just the way it is.
Old 04-05-22, 05:52 PM
NachoNYC
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Black is a great color, don't see it much on this model
Old 04-07-22, 05:16 AM
ptthere
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Curtains have never been offered in any base model ES. Always only on the top trims.
My 2013 ES was sold as a base model, base sticker price, and it has the rear sunshades. Japan built. But maybe because it was at the beginning of the 6th-gen line, who knows. I bought it last year so I'm not the original owner, only just over 38k miles on it, so I can't speak for what it's life was like before I had it (besides being in excellent condition) if the previous owner changed something. I will say I've been working on vehicles for a few decades now and from what I've found, the rear doors, panels, and hardware on this car look original from factory.
Old 04-07-22, 06:51 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ptthere
My 2013 ES was sold as a base model, base sticker price, and it has the rear sunshades. Japan built. But maybe because it was at the beginning of the 6th-gen line, who knows. I bought it last year so I'm not the original owner, only just over 38k miles on it, so I can't speak for what it's life was like before I had it (besides being in excellent condition) if the previous owner changed something. I will say I've been working on vehicles for a few decades now and from what I've found, the rear doors, panels, and hardware on this car look original from factory.
Are you sure it's a base model? It would be odd that a base would have the sunshade. Easiest way to tell is by looking at your display controller. Is it a dial, or a joystick?

Joystick

Dial
Old 04-07-22, 10:36 AM
ptthere
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Are you sure it's a base model? It would be odd that a base would have the sunshade. Easiest way to tell is by looking at your display controller. Is it a dial, or a joystick?

Joystick

Dial
It's the dial.
Mike728 (04-07-22)