ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES side mirror cover replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21 | 01:09 PM
pryner
Driver School Candidate

Default 2016 ES side mirror cover replacement

I need to replace the mirror cover on the pass side. I've seen some UTube videos that show people pulling the bottom of the mirror glass out and down to remove the mirror. This allows access to the screws holding the cover in place. I haven't seen any videos on how to remove the glass on newer models. I tried to pull but not too hard. Didn't come loose and I 'm afraid I'll break the $300+ glass. Can anyone confirm how to remove the mirror glass? From what I can see the back of the glass looks different from the older mirrors. I can see the screws for the cover so the mirror glass has to come out somehow. Thanks
Pete
Old 02-19-21 | 12:25 PM
pryner
Driver School Candidate

Answered my own question In case anyone else needs to know, you just pull on the mirror glass and it pops off. Different from earlier years. Do not pull out and up, just out. There are 4 plastic clips that are attached to the rotating back part.
The following users liked this post:
lji (03-29-21)
Old 03-20-21 | 09:17 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Default I have 2014 , same problem

Looks like they insert a cloth in under the mirror glass from side to side and pull up and then out. I’m not having much luck, and as you say, afraid to break the glass ...,
I’m not much help, but hoping for a response as you are.

Walt
Old 03-20-21 | 09:46 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Default Removing mirror glass

Pete:
just saw your 2nd post about just pulling out on mirror glass - I can’t get my fingers in around the mirror to pull it out. Are you prying it out with screwdrivers or something ? I tried prying and pulling but still afraid to break the mirror with too much pressure. Nothing seems to be budging when I pull.....,
Walt
Old 03-20-21 | 10:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Pete:
just saw your 2nd post about just pulling out on mirror glass - I can’t get my fingers in around the mirror to pull it out. Are you prying it out with screwdrivers or something ? I tried prying and pulling but still afraid to break the mirror with too much pressure. Nothing seems to be budging when I pull.....,
Walt
Don't use a metal screwdriver as you'll chip the glass. For jobs such as this there are panel removal tools. You can order them online or go to Harbor Freight. also available for about $5.00 on Ebay. They're plastic and are various sizes and thickness to get behind panels without damage. GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-20-21 | 11:22 AM
pryner
Driver School Candidate

Default mirror follow up

Pete:
Walt
I tilted the mirror all the way up which left enough room to grab the bottom of the mirror with my hands. I wouldn't use anything sharp or even narrow so you don't put too much pressure at one place on the mirror. The towel method should also work if you can work it behind at least half of the mirror. It took just a little more pressure than I had tried the first time. Getting it back on took some force too. You will see where the connectors are on the back of the mirror so you can press in the right area.
Old 03-23-21 | 05:50 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pryner
It took just a little more pressure than I had tried the first time. Getting it back on took some force too. You will see where the connectors are on the back of the mirror so you can press in the right area.
Thanks again, Pete. With mirror tilted up, I used a towel in and around the bottom half of the mirror, and just yanked outward and up. It popped right off.
Unfortunately mirror still doesn’t move or even make a sound when I press the buttons. This all started when my wife clipped the garage on her way out. That broke up the plastic frame that surrounds the mirror. I was hoping to find a broken wire inside, but all innards looked ok. Guess I’ll need the $900+ new mirror fix now.
Walt
Old 03-29-21 | 06:10 AM
lji
Driver

Another thread for this topic here.

Thanks again, Pete. With mirror tilted up, I used a towel in and around the bottom half of the mirror, and just yanked outward and up. It popped right off.
Unfortunately mirror still doesn’t move or even make a sound when I press the buttons. This all started when my wife clipped the garage on her way out. That broke up the plastic frame that surrounds the mirror. I was hoping to find a broken wire inside, but all innards looked ok. Guess I’ll need the $900+ new mirror fix now.
Walt
A similar thing happened to mine as well, but the side mirror motor works fine. It might be the motor behind the mirror that's damaged and you could possibly try to get the existing motor fixed. Entire side mirror assemblies look to be between $350 - $500 depending on if the vehicle is optioned with blind-spot and/or memory package. The replacement of the entire side mirror assemblies looks to involve taking the interior door panel off, but not bad for a Saturday morning job. Else, see if a trusted, local mechanic will be able to put this on and buy the part yourself.

YouTube link showing how to fix/adjust mirror motor (older gen):

Last edited by lji; 03-29-21 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Adding YouTube link