ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Using semi-synthetic oil instead

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 04:01 AM
Aryay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using semi-synthetic oil instead

Hi I have a 2015 ES 350, I have a groupon for a semisynthetic oil+ filter but figured would just bring my own mobil 1 synthetic oil and have them use that instead ( came out cheaper with the $25 groupon that even includes tire change vs paying $40 for labor+ my own oil , filter , don't ask me why).

i was just wondering would semi synthetic even work for my car if I just decide to take their oil or would be a waste? Also their groupon comes with a filter, I'm assuming any basic filter should work or would be different as its for semisynthetic oil?

Thanks sorry for the long post.
Old 02-17-21, 04:22 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

Toyota recommends full synthetic so I would go with what they are saying. Plus how much cheaper could semi-synthetic be. I buy my five gallon jug at Walmart for $23 and twice a year Mobil runs a $12 rebate. Done all online upload pic of receipt and done in two minutes. I buy my Toyota/Lexus oil filters online for $5. My Lexus or Toyota dealer charges be $30 labor. So total cost $46. Much more then the savings i do this because of the oil. My local Lexus Service manager told me if one comes in to buy oil they purchase Toyota synthetic manufactured by Mobil but in the shop they use drums to fill and it is a brand (can't remember) that I had heard of but certainly not a top brand.
The following 3 users liked this post by Freds430:
oreguyd (02-17-21), PatrickAz (02-17-21), Poppa (02-18-21)
Old 02-17-21, 06:12 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Blended synthetic oil can be as low as 1% synth and 99% conventional. Spend the extra $ and use only full syn and whatever the viscosity recommends. Mine recommends full syn 0-20 6.4 qt. capacity. I am quoting what experts say, not my opinion. I've seen Walmart's brand of full syn for $15 for 5 qts. and name brand from $20-25. Auto part stores are a little more. Some things are not worth saving pennies. Remember, you own a Lexus, not a Rambler.
The following 2 users liked this post by oreguyd:
Poppa (02-18-21), tronimrich (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 01:14 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

See if your local Toyota dealer is running specials on oil changes. Mine always had a $60 coupon for full synthetic oil changes on their website. When I had my Tundra that sucker took like 8 or 9 quarts of oil. Even buying oil/filter at Wal-Mart(mobil 1 and OEM red box filter) was almost the same price. It was kind of funny, normal oil change was over $100, I show up with that printed coupon from their own website, magically its like a shade under $70 with taxes.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (02-21-21)
Old 02-18-21, 01:45 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

You manual will state that the oil needs to meet ILSAC GF-5 specs. As long as that is met (and you are using the correct viscosity) you will be fine. You can't go wrong with Mobil 1 though.
Old 02-18-21, 02:04 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

If it were my car I would not use a synthetic blend. You have no way of knowing whether it's a 50/50 mix or not. Plus Lexus recommends you use a full synthetic oil. There are a lot of good synthetic oil's out there that you can pick up at your neighborhood walmart. I always buy the 5 quart bottles of Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W-20.
Old 02-18-21, 02:09 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
Toyota recommends full synthetic so I would go with what they are saying. Plus how much cheaper could semi-synthetic be. I buy my five gallon jug at Walmart for $23 and twice a year Mobil runs a $12 rebate. Done all online upload pic of receipt and done in two minutes. I buy my Toyota/Lexus oil filters online for $5. My Lexus or Toyota dealer charges be $30 labor. So total cost $46. Much more then the savings i do this because of the oil. My local Lexus Service manager told me if one comes in to buy oil they purchase Toyota synthetic manufactured by Mobil but in the shop they use drums to fill and it is a brand (can't remember) that I had heard of but certainly not a top brand.
Fred, it's been sometime back, but I remember having a service writer at Lexus tell me one time that Mobil made oil specifically for Lexus and that it was in 55 gallon drums at the dealership. I was skeptical about that so I actually called Mobil and asked them. They did acknowledge that they made oil for Lexus / Toyota but he stopped short of saying it was the good stuff. He didn't say it wasn't either. When I pressed him about it he said if you want to make sure you get the best synthetic oil we make, just go to you local walmart or auto parts store and get it there. Pretty interesting don't you think?
Old 02-18-21, 03:04 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Poppa
Plus Lexus recommends you use a full synthetic oil.
Where is this documented? The manual only states that the oil needs to meet ILSAC GF-5 requirements which can be either conventional, a blend or synthetic.
Old 02-18-21, 04:51 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

Fred, it's been sometime back, but I remember having a service writer at Lexus tell me one time that Mobil made oil specifically for Lexus and that it was in 55 gallon drums at the dealership. I was skeptical about that so I actually called Mobil and asked them. They did acknowledge that they made oil for Lexus / Toyota but he stopped short of saying it was the good stuff. He didn't say it wasn't either. When I pressed him about it he said if you want to make sure you get the best synthetic oil we make, just go to you local walmart or auto parts store and get it there. Pretty interesting don't you think?
Very interesting. I was surprised at my dealership they would sell you Toyota synthetic made by Mobil but that they do not use it in the shop. The next time I am there will ask again the brand. Like I mentioned earlier, I heard of it but was not Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline etc.
oreguyd (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 01:28 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil are all good choices in motor oil products. It's the additives that differentiate the brands. I'd like to know if any d.i.y. use Walmart's brand "Super Tech" and feels it's equivalent to the major name brands?
Old 02-18-21, 05:40 PM
uncle
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Walmart's Super Tech supplier changes from time to time. For quite a while it was Valvoline. I have used it, held up fine.
oreguyd (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 08:28 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle
Walmart's Super Tech supplier changes from time to time. For quite a while it was Valvoline. I have used it, held up fine.
I would go with what the manual recommends, which is ILSAC GF-5:Introduced in October 2010 for 2011 and older vehicles, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, more stringent sludge control, improved fuel economy, enhanced emission control system compatibility, seal compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.
Old 02-19-21, 10:55 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I used what the Manufacture recommends as far as Type. I choose a good High quality Oil. I change oil from 6500 - 7500 depending on what's going on, and only use the Manufactures Filter only.

My cars go into 250k or more if I keep them, and are still running well for better value when I sell them. I've never been financially stressed by Not buying the cheapest Oli, cheapest Filter, or waiting to change the Oil change out to 10k miles.

I always treat my Lexus like a Lexus.
st1800 (02-19-21)
Old 02-20-21, 01:54 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by BMGS
Where is this documented? The manual only states that the oil needs to meet ILSAC GF-5 requirements which can be either conventional, a blend or synthetic.
I thought I remembered getting something in the mail once after I bought my car from Lexus saying they recommended using synthetic oil and oci's of 10K miles. I apparently didn't keep that mailing, but I did google it and found this from a Lexus dealership...

Lexus Oil Change FAQs It is recommended by the manufacturer to use certified and approved oil in your vehicle. Lexus recommends Lexus Genuine SAE 0W-20 Full-Synthetic motor oil.
Old 02-20-21, 02:56 AM
BMGS
Racer

I thought I remembered getting something in the mail once after I bought my car from Lexus saying they recommended using synthetic oil and oci's of 10K miles. I apparently didn't keep that mailing, but I did google it and found this from a Lexus dealership...

Lexus Oil Change FAQs It is recommended by the manufacturer to use certified and approved oil in your vehicle. Lexus recommends Lexus Genuine SAE 0W-20 Full-Synthetic motor oil.
Yeah I saw that too but anything from a dealer is just sales fluff as far as I'm concerned. Dealerships will try to sell, it's what they do. One by me told me that I had to have a new navigation map sd card installed at the dealer and a new radio programmed by them, both were incorrect and blatant attempts for billable hours. The dealer on the other side of the country who couldn't possibly service the car (but only sell me the part) happily sold it to me and told me I could just pop the sd card in. Just one example of an endless list I'm sure many have come across.

I'm all for synthetic (I used to shell out for Group IV and V before I realized Mobil 1 is fine for 99% of situations) I'm just trying to take a logical approach to reconcile the information in the manual vs. what a dealer wants to sell.
Poppa (02-21-21)

Quick Reply: Using semi-synthetic oil instead