ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Solution for "replace hybrid battery " code P0A80

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 09:18 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts
Default trying to make old hybrid battery cells live again......

old batter from prius and altma and camry i did charge with 5 amp and i made improve;ent
i was able to reach capacity up to 5000mAh from originally 1000mAh for some ofthe old cells

some of them didnt recover unfortunately ..prius cellls reach ;ax of 3500mAh
this will be long process but it will save a lot of money for hybrid battery.......to be continued
Old 01-22-22, 09:40 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

New update ,after doing some very hard work on some of the hybrid battery cells .I bought quad charger and started rejuvenating process for each cell.

I have used two bad cells from outside just to use them as brackets and c clamps to make sure battery cells I was charging they don't expand too much.
Old 01-22-22, 09:45 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

I just started with 3 cells ,slowly charging them at 3 amp.each than discharging them with 3 amps too.

This is the balancer,charger, discharge er,we were using to recondition old hybrid battery cells.
it was very long process ,you have to be patient and check from time to time voltage and capacity of cells
Old 01-22-22, 09:56 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

NOW THIS WAS JUST FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY,DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT WITH FAMILIAR WITH ALL OF THIS.
NOTE:THERE IS ALSO TOXIC FUMES COMING FROM HYBRID BATTERY CELLS DURING THIS PROCESS ,SO MAKE SURE YOU CONDUCTING THIS IN VERY WELL VENTILATED AREA.
AS PRECAUTIONS WE ADDED ONE MORE TEMPERATURE SENSOR TO CUT OF CHARGING OF THE CELLS IF TEMPERATURE REACH UP TO 80 DEG.CELSIUS.
HERE IS EXSAMPLE HOW DANGER IS TO DO THIS ,OUR NEIGHBORS TRY TO SKIP SOME OF THE SAFETY STEPS AND THIS WAS HAPPENED .
SEE THE PICTURE BELOW.

Cell was exploded ,he didn't set limit charge no c clamp ,no temp sensor.very wrong approach.

Please be aware of this Do NOT OVERCHARGE EVER.and after charging is done wait several hours before you remove c clamp and store each module separately.

Always wear safety glasses and protective shield or you can get some serious issues .

Old 01-22-22, 10:03 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

So far we did save quite few old hybrid battery cells doing correct procedure for balancing.

It was nice to see that some of the old cells could be used again and replace bad one.

Using correct software ,will help you to diagnose which cell you have to replace in your car.I can't post name of the software because I do not want to make Moderators angry.Anyway you can find a lot of app for diagnostic in Google play store
Old 01-22-22, 10:11 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

This is some of the screen shots we did with multiple apps downloaded from internet and after reconditioning hybrid battery cells ,Rx,ES,Gs.all models are using same procedure for balancing ,charging , discharging...

Here we can see total of hybrid battery pack in percentage and voltage of small battery in trunk 14.6v.

This app will give you live readout of each hybrid cell in your car.

Showing instant fuel economy,current speed on highway.Diagram too.
Old 01-22-22, 10:18 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Live data of each hybrid cell just to make sure if any of them goes bad you can get ready to replace in advance before it start to give you trouble.

You can see your STATE OF CHARGE AND TEMPERATURE OF THE HYBRID BATTERY.. Here is possible to manually override cooling hybrid battery fan to work harder and lower temp of whole hybrid pack significantly.

Using this another app you can customize PIDs and create your own display ,what would you like to monitor .

This is for racing ....lol.
Old 01-22-22, 10:30 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

One of my favourite custum display settings.

Just in case to monitor your fuel efficiency.
Old 01-22-22, 10:32 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

You can have nice graph to display for better diagnostic.

Old 01-22-22, 10:34 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Even O2 sensors you can monitor with this app.

Good preparation if you have to do emission test.
Old 01-22-22, 10:40 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

This fourth app is giving you live data .REMEMBER AFTER REBUILDING YOUR HYBRID BATTERY VOLTAGE DIFFERENCE SHOULD BE ABOUT 0.2VOLTS.. IF YOU GOT MORE THAN 1.0 VOLTS THAN SOON ONE OF YOUR CELLS WILL BE GIVING YOU HEADACHE.

Voltage will be going up and down during driving but avarage ratio should be about 0.2 volts .State of charge SOC should be above 70 percent if you willing to enjoy your battery for long time.
Old 01-22-22, 10:45 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

I like this app because it will give me live data from each hybrid cell ,voltage ,impedance,and capacity of hybrid pack.YELLOW IS CHARGING,GREEN IS DISSCHARGING AND RED WILL BE DEEP DISCHARGE IF YOU OVERTAKING SOME CAR ON THE ROAD.. Very nice set of apps you can find on internet and combine with blue tooth OBD LINK and get finally correct data without guessing like few years before what is going on with your car.Now full diagnostic is available and we have to use it to save money and our time.
Old 01-23-22, 06:41 AM
Aegean
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

1. Which quad hobby charger did you use that was able to discharge at 3 Amps? Is this the BGUAD CQ3?
  2. Which software provides the report with bias? Is it OBDASSistant?
  3. Does any of these software provide a chart with all 17 block voltage plotted on top of each other over time? The purpose is to see which block loses voltage much earlier than the others if any.
  4. How did you pair individual modules to make blocks? Did you match highest with lowest achieved capacity or highest with lowest voltage?
Old 01-24-22, 10:49 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

If moderators allowed me to disclose name of charger and software I can post here .Just because I don't want to be mistaken for advertising third party supplier her ,could be some of conflict of interes.If I got green light from moderators I can post details.in mean time you can check on internet all about software used for this purpose and YouTube is full of videos how to condition habryd battery .
cheers
Old 03-18-22, 09:37 PM
lexusisgs
Advanced

one more update on my ES300h

driver side passenger side

BLOCK 01 BLOCK 17

when you looking from the back thru trunk area

this is on my lexus es300h and i did update on my other lexus GS450h

for referenv[ce only and for educational purposes only.

Quick Reply: Solution for "replace hybrid battery " code P0A80