ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Sport Mode for the Interstate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 09:39 AM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sport Mode for the Interstate.

For my 2015 ES 350 in Sport mode, I have noticed that the steering seems so much more speed sensitive and precise driving at Interstate speeds (65-75) than in Normal or Eco Modes. Yes, Sport mode is for those fun, winding back roads and enhances braking and acceleration etc. but, where I live, not all the highways and freeways are flat and straight. Some were designed for speeds closer to 55 and are quite curvy and poorly banked. The only downside could be MPG loss? Though at those speeds, you are basically in 6th and sometimes 5th gear and the RPM would be the same as the other two modes? I've only taken a couple of trips yet, but overall my freeway fuel efficiency has been only 25 MPG averaging 70 mph with normal driving and little elevation change in Eco mode. Only 23 MPG in Sport mode. I don't mind a couple of MPG loss for the feeling of a safer driving experience, though. I may not see 30 MPG in any form and I usually can get better than average MPG in all cars that I use. That's a little disappointing. But, I'll settle for the driving experience a Lexus gives you.

Last edited by oreguyd; 03-12-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 02:30 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oreguyd
For my 2015 ES 350 in Sport mode, I have noticed that the steering seems so much more speed sensitive and precise driving at Interstate speeds (65-75) than in Normal or Eco Modes. Yes, Sport mode is for those fun, winding back roads and enhances braking and acceleration etc. but, where I live, not all the highways and freeways are flat and straight. Some were designed for speeds closer to 55 and are quite curvy and poorly banked. The only downside could be MPG loss? Though at those speeds, you are basically in 6th and sometimes 5th gear and the RPM would be the same as the other two modes? I've only taken a couple of trips yet, but overall my freeway fuel efficiency has been only 25 MPG averaging 70 mph with normal driving and little elevation change in Eco mode. Only 23 MPG in Sport mode. I don't mind a couple of MPG loss for the feeling of a safer driving experience, though. I may not see 30 MPG in any form and I usually can get better than average MPG in all cars that I use. That's a little disappointing. But, I'll settle for the driving experience a Lexus gives you.
Ironically, I find the sport button on my ES to be much more effective than other more sporty vehicles. I can feel additional steering weight which I have not in our BMW, Porsche and Volvos. It also doesn’t hold gears needlessly to make city driving a chore and waste gas.

The only better one I’ve seen was in a Mustang convertible we rented on vacation. Sport made that steering nice and tight.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (03-12-21)
Old 03-12-21, 08:01 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

If you drive the same in sport mode as opposed to regular or ECO your mileage will be the same. Trouble is if you press down on your accelerator one inch in sport mode, it’ll use more fuel,and accelerate faster than in eco. Cruising on the highway at steady speed in cruise wont make any difference to MPG. And yes, the steering firms up when in sport mode, much reduced those little corrections to stay straight.
oreguyd (03-13-21)
Old 03-13-21, 08:15 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Kind of what I thought, too. But, it's good to be reassured. I'll use it in Sport mode more on open roads and try to keep my foot in check. I do like the Red and Blue backgrounds on the instrument package showing accelerator vacuum. Bright to dim. Such an awesome vehicle.
Old 03-14-21, 05:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

If you are driving on the interstate, you are more likely to be driving at steady speeds and less likely to be changing speeds often. So, fuel efficiency increases or decreases caused by more rapid acceleration is less likely to be caused by switching between the 3 drive modes. However, another factor that could be at play is that the HVAC system also goes into a more efficient mode when you are using the ECO drive mode than when in either the normal or sport modes. Fuel efficiency changes that result from this are likely to be small, but they are a factor.

As others have pointed out, though, the steering does definitely tighten up in the sport mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
oreguyd (03-14-21), PatrickAz (03-14-21)
Old 03-14-21, 01:45 PM
oreguyd
Driver

I do agree that steady and easy driving will get similar MPG in any mode. On the freeways and highways, you're probably going to use the Cruise Control. Especially since most Lexus models have Adaptive capability, which all cars made now I think should be standard. But you made a good point regarding the Climate control, when running the AC. I would imagine most cars lose a couple of MPG when it is in use? One other thing about Sport mode, it does stiffen the suspension, so driving in town makes you notice all the defects in the road.

Last edited by oreguyd; 03-14-21 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-14-21, 02:48 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by oreguyd
One other thing about Sport mode, it does stiffen the suspension, so driving in town makes you notice all the defects in the road.
I could be mistaken, and, if I am, I'm sure that someone will correct me, but I don't think that there are any changes in the suspension when you change the driving modes. I believe that the only changes are with the steering (in Sport mode), the throttle response, and the HVAC system.

Old 03-15-21, 05:12 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

No change in suspension for the ES350. Sport mode changes steering and shift points (rpm). ECO will change A/C. After working on A/C systems, I am not convinced that it does much. Takes the same amount of A/C to keep interior temp at a certain degree.

Driving on the interstate in Sport mode will only affect steering input as the transmission has already run through the gears.
Old 03-17-21, 05:03 PM
oreguyd
Driver

"No change in suspension in Sport mode". I believe you are probably right. I only had it on for less than a mile on city streets, so I thought it felt stiffer? I will try Sport mode more often in regular use and see. I really like the firmness of the steering in Sport mode. I noticed on a new car commercial, the Mode selector is by or on the steering wheel like cruise control, instead of having to look down to change it. There are driver's that probably never touch the Mode selector for the life of their car. Then there are those that change it every time they drive. Nice to have the choice, though.

Last edited by oreguyd; 03-17-21 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-19-21, 05:14 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

When I'm in Sport Mode, I couldn't care less about MPG, that's the whole fun, right? Driving it kinda "Sporty" and hard. Worry about MPG when I'm doing my budget. I actually drive the limit, but there are those moments when the sunroof is open and the music is blaring.

I like using that mode on the highway...
oreguyd (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 07:37 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

"No change in suspension in Sport mode". I believe you are probably right.”

not probably, that’s “exactly” right. ES stands for executive sedan, a very nice car, but not a candidate for track day.
Old 03-20-21, 03:54 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Good one, eh?