2014 ES350 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 10:20 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2014 ES350 purchase

Hi Guys
Im looking to buy a used Lexus. I've been looking at the 2014 Lexus GS350 FSsport models. The price for a very good condition, 55-65K mi GS is around 21500 asking price. I just happened to stumble upon a 2014 ES350 luxury package with 70K mi in real good physical condition. The asking price is $13,900 which is pretty low for this vehicle compared to Bluebook resale.
I would appreciate any opinions or comments on the Lexus ES. I know The ES is not as sporty as the GS Fsport but it's a good looking vehicle. I haven't road tested both vehicles to compare the feel, but I will this weekend.
Thanks

Last edited by vetdoc; 03-18-21 at 10:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-19-21, 07:20 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

Looks the same as mine which I bought 2 years ago with similar mileage. Only one comment I’ll make....don’t wear blue jeans in it. The dye will transfer to that seat and really show up. I’m still trying to get the seat belt clean but think the only answer will be to replace it. Check for accidents...that seems a very low price in today’s market.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tootsall:
oreguyd (03-19-21), PatrickAz (03-22-21)
Old 03-19-21, 10:24 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 876 Likes on 660 Posts

ES is 268 HP Regular Fuel FWD w/large seats/trunk
GS is 306 HP Premium Fuel AWD w/snug seats/mid size trunk
The GS will feel much sturdier, solid steering column, heftier doors, etc.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 12:06 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Hi
Thanks for responding. I assume you like your ES a lot? I checked a carfax and the car did have an accident around 45000mi. Carfax said moderate damage to left qtr panel, rear and rt qtr panel. I;m assuming the car was more then likely completely repainted after the repairs. The owner kept the car for almost another 30,000mi after that so I guess that is a good sign. There is no visual evidence of an accident looking at the car. I will be getting a pre buy inspection $150 at the Lexus dealer down the block before buying?
The price started out at the dealership at 16,400 about 3 months ago and just dropped from 14400, to 13,400 a few days ago. I'm thinking they really want to move this car so maybe I can talk them down another 600-800. If the car checked out with a passing inspection would it be a good deal? Cmon guys chime in here I need some advice please!
Thanks

Last edited by vetdoc; 03-19-21 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-19-21, 02:04 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like the car was rear ended. Did the Carfax state the cost of the repairs? Could be serious damage to the frame as well, that’s never as good as it was before. I don’t think you can infer anything positive about the previous owner keeping it for 30,000 miles. Price has been dropping likely because a lot of people don’t want to invest in a car with a previous accident.

Having said all that, it might be ok and serve you well, hard to predict though.

Excellent plan to have it inspected. You should advise them of the accident so they can pay particular attention that area.

what brand of dealer is selling the vehicle? Any other info from the Carfax such as previous use , lease, rental, stolen etc, and service history?

I’ve had a 2014 ES 350 for 3 years now and very happy with it.

oreguyd (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 03:05 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Hi
Yea most likely rear ended. The car fax said moderate damage, no cost of repairs. It's possible that the original lexus dealer here in town who sold the car to the owner has some record of the accident since they did all service on ths vehicle for previous owner for past 70,000mi before traein. It's a BMW dealer quite reputable selling the car now. It appears to have a clean title , one owner, and good ervice history but I can get all that info from the lexus dealer in town who sold and serviced the vehicle for previous owner.
The big question here is if I like the vehicle after test driving it tommorow, will the BMW dealer let me or one of their employees take it to the Lexus dealer down the block to get an inspection. When I mentioned that in passing o the sales person on the phone he said they already did a through inspection of the entire vehicle and it checked out well?
Old 03-19-21, 05:13 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless I am missing something, this sounds like a very good deal.

The GS will handle better and feel more premium, but the ES will take regular gas, not eat brakes and tires while feeling more peppy off the line.

You can get the service records from the Lexus owners website by plugging in the vin.

Good luck on your search!!
oreguyd (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 05:34 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would probably advise against buying the ES that had been in an accident. It may have damaged the electrical/computer operation that may pop up later, if not detectable now? If someone hit the car in a parking lot at 5 mph, then I wouldn't worry too much. But at 30 mph or more, who knows what it could have jarred? Perhaps cars made now don't have problems like that? I have seen were an accident at that speed caused unusual electrical problems later in 80s and 90s cars. Whatever you feel comfortable with? I would take with a grain of salt most of what the dealer tells you. Get the VIN# and run that check, too. They're usually free. There will always be another car to choose from.

Last edited by oreguyd; 03-19-21 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-19-21, 07:42 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

“When I mentioned that in passing o the sales person on the phone he said they already did a through inspection of the entire vehicle and it checked out well?”

nothing the salesman tells you is valid unless it’s written into the sales contract. And even at that, I’d doubt it.

Caveat Emptor.

“There will always be another car to choose from.”

^^^ Always they the case...
The following 2 users liked this post by st1800:
oreguyd (03-19-21), Poppa (03-20-21)
Old 03-19-21, 08:01 PM
vetdoc
Driver

st1800 I agree completely. I either get permission from the selling BMW dealer to allow me to have the lexus dealer inspect the car for me or it;s a deal breaker.

Last edited by vetdoc; 03-19-21 at 08:06 PM.
oreguyd (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 08:02 PM
vetdoc
Driver

Thanks for your opinion and advice The Ras900!
Old 03-19-21, 08:46 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdoc
Hi Guys
Im looking to buy a used Lexus. I've been looking at the 2014 Lexus GS350 FSsport models. The price for a very good condition, 55-65K mi GS is around 21500 asking price. I just happened to stumble upon a 2014 ES350 luxury package with 70K mi in real good physical condition. The asking price is $13,900 which is pretty low for this vehicle compared to Bluebook resale.
I would appreciate any opinions or comments on the Lexus ES. I know The ES is not as sporty as the GS Fsport but it's a good looking vehicle. I haven't road tested both vehicles to compare the feel, but I will this weekend.
Thanks

I have Owned both the ES350 and the GS350. That's a ok deal on that ES. I would have it checked out, but a Carfax rear end Moderate rear is no big deal if repair Professionally like it should be.

If you want to feel like you are driving a BMW buy the GS. Beware you are going to be buying gas, putting on expensive tires every 30k and doing 20k F Sport Brake jobs, more maintenance cost, and no back seat room. With that, the GS is a Fine car.

The ES is so easy to drive, lots of room, great gas mileage, low maintenance cost and rides and drives like it's on a cloud. If you start looking ES350 look for a low to mid miles 2013 or 2014 ES350 Ultra Luxury Package. Those were the best 2 years IMO. The U/L leaves nothing to be desired, and you will not look back. BTW: the ES350 268hp claim rating is likely way underrated. by Lexus Take both for a intown and highway drive and see what you like best.
oreguyd (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 10:14 AM
vetdoc
Driver

Hi jg
Thanks for your comments and opinions on both the ES and GS. This ES does have the ultra luxury pakage. I 'm going to test drive it today. I need to test drive a GS also to compare. I'm glad to hear your not overly concerned with the moderate damage on carfax. I kinda felt the same way, but I will check it out, by Lexus. I'm hoping to negotiate the price down to 13000-13200!
Old 03-20-21, 12:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdoc
Hi jg
Thanks for your comments and opinions on both the ES and GS. This ES does have the ultra luxury pakage. I 'm going to test drive it today. I need to test drive a GS also to compare. I'm glad to hear your not overly concerned with the moderate damage on carfax. I kinda felt the same way, but I will check it out, by Lexus. I'm hoping to negotiate the price down to 13000-13200!
That White ES you posted here does Not have the U/L Package just FYI. It would have a Different U/L Wheel sand Pano Dual Glass Roof and lots more. Especially the 2013 - 2104.

A Example: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-u-l-gone.html

Just some advise I think I said in the GS Forum too.

Use Auto Trader, Cars.com, Cargurus, Carfax for Sale Search engines. Move your Search area out ex. 300 miles from your Zip Code, that's a 6 hours trip driving, 1 hr + Plane flight. Decide if you want the ES or GS. For the money ES much better deal. Search 2013 - 2014 ES350 Lowest Miles Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury cars 1st. Then look at Carfax History and Price. Be Patience and look. If you find one move on it real quick! By the time you see this you may have likely already bought one. If not get the Used Car you buy checked out. IMO there is no such thing as a Used Car for Sale that doesn't need nothing. Except mine.

Last edited by jgscott; 03-20-21 at 02:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
lesz (03-20-21), oreguyd (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 02:15 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"That White ES you posted here does Not have the U/L Package just FYI. It would have a Different U/L Wheel sand Pano Dual Glass Roof and lots more. Especially the
2013 - 2104."

Exactly. Your 2014 interior is
similar to my 2015 with the Luxury Pkg. One option that was in the Ultra was a drivers seat extender. Among a couple of other options. There is a thread regarding the exact differences. I wanted to know which package I had? As far as the accident, if you feel there are no problems and everything was fixed properly, then why not? I've never driven a GS, but it would be more expensive to operate. Is the extra cost worth it? Either way, you're still driving a Lexus. Does it have 17" wheels or 18" ?

Last edited by oreguyd; 03-21-21 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 ES350 purchase