ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES300h AC evap drain location

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 10:31 AM
muse6638
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300h AC evap drain location

I noticed funky smell everytime I turn on fan. I sprayed a whole can of Lysol into the top vent next to wiper. It helped a little but the smell came back after a few days.
My next plan is to find the evaporator drain and treat it with ac evaporator foam. I am trying to locate the AC evap drain line. I am just wondering if this is it. This is near firewall on passenger side.

Last edited by muse6638; 03-28-21 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-28-21, 11:22 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

You might want to check the cabin air filter.

A few years ago, a mouse built a nest on top of the cabin air filter of my ES, and I was getting a foul odor similar to what you described. When I tried to remove the air filter, the nest dropped down into the fan. I tried to vacuum as much of the nest out of the fan as I could, but I wasn't able to get all of it. I ended up having the dealer remove the fan and clean it out. Not only were there parts of the nest in it, but there were several dead baby mice. By that time, enough of the foul smell had entered the cabin, and it took me almost a year to remove all of the smell from the HVAC ducting and from the interior of the car because the smell had soaked into the seats, headliner, carpets, etc.

I ended up using various air freshener products, both directly on interior surfaces and through the venting in front of the windshield (like you tried). Each time, it got a little better, but it took a lot time to completely rid the car of the odor.

It may be the case that your drain line would benefit from the foam cleaner, but it could well be that that is not the source of your problem.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
muse6638 (03-29-21)
Old 03-28-21, 02:12 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

“A funky smell”....do you run your AC on recirc instead of fresh air? If so, that’s your problem. Several threads about the effect of using recirc all the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tootsall:
lesz (03-28-21), muse6638 (03-29-21)
Old 03-28-21, 02:43 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
“A funky smell”....do you run your AC on recirc instead of fresh air? If so, that’s your problem. Several threads about the effect of using recirc all the time.
That is a really good thought. When I made my previous post, I was thinking more of a "foul" smell than of a "funky" smell. There is no question that the air quality will become "stale" when the AC is run continuously in the recirculate mode, and Lexus has made the misguided decision to have the system always run in recirculate mode whenever the outside temperature is above the low 70s. When that happens, the only way to get it into fresh air mode is to manually do so.
muse6638 (03-29-21)
Old 03-28-21, 03:06 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
That is a really good thought. When I made my previous post, I was thinking more of a "foul" smell than of a "funky" smell. There is no question that the air quality will become "stale" when the AC is run continuously in the recirculate mode, and Lexus has made the misguided decision to have the system always run in recirculate mode whenever the outside temperature is above the low 70s. When that happens, the only way to get it into fresh air mode is to manually do so.
Yes...I never use "AUTO" for that reason. Besides, up here the temperatures are always swinging wildly (I've seen it go from +20C to -10C in a matter of a half-dozen hours). I generally leave the AC switched OFF at the display in late fall through to mid-spring and just rely on fresh air to keep the cabin cool when the heater isn't required. The old Camry had the same 'funky" issue when I set the cabin AC for "recirc".
muse6638 (03-29-21)
Old 03-28-21, 06:41 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

This is a known problem with the ESh. I have a 2014 and have to deal with this. In my experience the cabin air filter is necessary but not sufficient. You will have to get an AC Cleaner and inject it into the evaporator drain. You have identified it correctly. Dealer charges a fortune for this. It is easy to do. I order the cleaner from Amazon but it is not too good. Still looking for a good cleaner.

The recommendations here of not using recirc are absolutely correct. I always use fresh air and it helps.
muse6638 (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 10:47 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
You might want to check the cabin air filter.

A few years ago, a mouse built a nest on top of the cabin air filter of my ES, and I was getting a foul odor similar to what you described. When I tried to remove the air filter, the nest dropped down into the fan. I tried to vacuum as much of the nest out of the fan as I could, but I wasn't able to get all of it. I ended up having the dealer remove the fan and clean it out. Not only were there parts of the nest in it, but there were several dead baby mice. By that time, enough of the foul smell had entered the cabin, and it took me almost a year to remove all of the smell from the HVAC ducting and from the interior of the car because the smell had soaked into the seats, headliner, carpets, etc.

I ended up using various air freshener products, both directly on interior surfaces and through the venting in front of the windshield (like you tried). Each time, it got a little better, but it took a lot time to completely rid the car of the odor.

It may be the case that your drain line would benefit from the foam cleaner, but it could well be that that is not the source of your problem.

Good luck.
Yes, the cabin filter (“the forgotten filter”) should be the culprit.