2017 ES 350 Dry Hydroplaning Feeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 06:54 AM
lala7625
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2017 ES 350 Dry Hydroplaning Feeling

Hello!

Picked up my new to me ES 350 last week and noticed that whenever I change lanes on a highway, or even service road, the car feels like it's hydroplaning when it crosses the painted lane hashmarks, even though the road is dry and not slick from oils etc. It happens regardless of speed. The steering wheel gets a little vibration when this happens and almost pops back into place once the incident is over. I checked the tires and don't see any wear that would cause this (unless these Michelin tires just aren't good ones).

I've read and read and read the internet about this and I haven't seen anything that really describes it, except in a couple of IS posts and they mention bad bushings.

I have 30 days to return the car and 90 days to get anything fixed but since the fine folks at CarMax aren't Lexus experts, I'm trying to whittle down what the cause may be so I can call it by its name (hopefully) when I tell them about it. It's quite scary because it does feel like I'm not in control of the car when I change lanes.

Any input is greatly appreciated! TIA!
Old 03-29-21, 07:05 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Are you using your signal when you change lanes?
Old 03-29-21, 07:21 AM
lala7625
Driver School Candidate

That's a great question and I am going say definitely yes on the highway and maybe yes on the service road. I try to be really good about that. Try.
Old 03-29-21, 09:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

It's a legitimate question if you have lane assist. Does your ES?
Old 03-29-21, 09:22 AM
lala7625
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
It's a legitimate question if you have lane assist. Does your ES?
Oh I have no doubt it's a legit question - you guys here are the experts! And yes, it does.
Old 03-29-21, 09:33 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

So, Lane Assist will vibrate your steering wheel when you get close to a lane marker. It will not if you have your signal on. Can you rule this out as being the issue you're experiencing?
Old 03-29-21, 09:49 AM
lala7625
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
So, Lane Assist will vibrate your steering wheel when you get close to a lane marker. It will not if you have your signal on. Can you rule this out as being the issue you're experiencing?
That is great info, thank you! I absolutely will. I'll try it later today and report back! Thanks again!
Old 03-29-21, 11:34 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Lexus Safety System has a forward facing camera near the inside rear view mirror and a millimeter radar
unit behind the Lexus Logo on the grille. Right steering wheel spoke has a couple of buttons along the bottom
edge, left one shows "two parallel lines with a car turning" icon. Press the button and look near the Odometer
for the same type logo to light up. Car is watching and when she thinks you are not paying attention you will get a
slight tug of the wheel trying to center in the lane. If you continue to change lanes without signaling she will shake
the steering wheel, "virtual rub strips". You are doing the driving, she only tries to guide. I encourage you to continue to
let her help now that you know what is happening. I personally turn Lane Trace Assist off when in a construction
zone because it is tough enough to maneuver the narrow and erratic lanes without her twitchin' and *****in'!
Old 03-29-21, 01:58 PM
lala7625
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=mcomer;11022724]Lexus Safety System has a forward facing camera near the inside rear view mirror and a millimeter radar
unit behind the Lexus Logo on the grille. Right steering wheel spoke has a couple of buttons along the bottom
edge, left one shows "two parallel lines with a car turning" icon. Press the button and look near the Odometer
for the same type logo to light up. Car is watching and when she thinks you are not paying attention you will get a
slight tug of the wheel trying to center in the lane. If you continue to change lanes without signaling she will shake
the steering wheel, "virtual rub strips". You are doing the driving, she only tries to guide. I encourage you to continue to
let her help now that you know what is happening. I personally turn Lane Trace Assist off when in a construction
zone because it is tough enough to maneuver the narrow and erratic lanes without her twitchin' and *****in'![/QUOTE

I'm headed out now to try and see about the blinker on or off thing but, it's far less about the steering wheel movement - it's about the feeling of drifting without control of the wheel, if that makes sense. As soon as the tires hit the painted lane hashes, the car feels like its hydroplaning. Its happened at 40, 60 and 80 mph. On a highway and a service road. I'll report back shortly on the driving experiment! Thanks so much for the response - that is great info to know!
Old 03-29-21, 03:19 PM
lala7625
Driver School Candidate

So yes, that's what it was, you guys were right. But man, that is a scary feeling. I don't mind the vibrations but I can see where, in inclement weather, it would be hard to distinguish between actual hydroplaning and trying to remember in a split second, whether I had my blinker on. I don't use my phone while driving or do any other distracting things and have rarely if ever drifted lanes so I'm not sure that leaving it on is a benefit for me personally (fast forward to me side swiping someone within 24 hours of turning it off, I know). The feeling is quite severe. I've driven other cars with lane assist and it's never been so scary. Thanks so much for all your input. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-30-21, 07:27 AM
tstewart77
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can turn it off. Button below steering wheel with a diagonal car icon - I keep mine off except on long trips. I find it annoying.

QUOTE=lala7625;11022864]So yes, that's what it was, you guys were right. But man, that is a scary feeling. I don't mind the vibrations but I can see where, in inclement weather, it would be hard to distinguish between actual hydroplaning and trying to remember in a split second, whether I had my blinker on. I don't use my phone while driving or do any other distracting things and have rarely if ever drifted lanes so I'm not sure that leaving it on is a benefit for me personally (fast forward to me side swiping someone within 24 hours of turning it off, I know). The feeling is quite severe. I've driven other cars with lane assist and it's never been so scary. Thanks so much for all your input. I really appreciate it![/QUOTE]
Old 03-30-21, 07:48 AM
lala7625
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tstewart77
You can turn it off. Button below steering wheel with a diagonal car icon - I keep mine off except on long trips. I find it annoying.
I feel the same. Long drives where you might get tired etc, that's perfect. Driving in Dallas rush hour traffic trying to change lanes to avoid certain death? Not so much
The following 2 users liked this post by lala7625:
mcomer (04-02-21), PatrickAz (03-30-21)