ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying car back from insurance company

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 07:07 PM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying car back from insurance company

So my 2014 ES300H luxury had hail damage $11,800 worth progressive deemed it a total loss 14k owed on it had it since 3/2020 used with 50k has anyone had to buy there car back from the insurance company. How much did they charge I’ve informed them I want to keep the car anyone have any experience with them

Last edited by Kadrian21; 05-08-21 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-09-21, 08:30 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it worth your cost, time and trouble? Will it be safe to drive if you have the damage repaired. What happens with the Title? branded/salvaged? Parting it out and not repairing it, perhaps? Any pics? I'd talk with an ins. agent/broker that would give you free, but experienced advice, as well as Auction car buyers.
Old 05-11-21, 03:43 AM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It only has 80k miles on it I think it’s definitely worth keeping seeing how I can fix it myself there is no accident or frame damage only hail damage it’s definitely safe I still drive it right now
Originally Posted by oreguyd
Is it worth your cost, time and trouble? Will it be safe to drive if you have the damage repaired. What happens with the Title? branded/salvaged? Parting it out and not repairing it, perhaps? Any pics? I'd talk with an ins. agent/broker that would give you free, but experienced advice, as well as Auction car buyers.
Old 05-11-21, 06:36 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

The insurance company should have told you by now how much they want. If not, call them and ask.

Here's my experience from a hundred years ago.
I bought back my '69 Buick Wildcat after someone hit me in 1977. I paid $350 for the car that same year. Insurance paid me $600 and I kept it. To me, it was just one more dent. If I let them keep it, I would have received about a grand.
Old 05-12-21, 07:28 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadrian21
So my 2014 ES300H luxury had hail damage $11,800 worth progressive deemed it a total loss 14k owed on it had it since 3/2020 used with 50k has anyone had to buy there car back from the insurance company. How much did they charge I’ve informed them I want to keep the car anyone have any experience with them
I had this problem a few year back in fact with a Lexus. I wanted to buy my car back. Here is what happened. They offered me a buy back price. I thought it was a little high. So I called the Insurance Rep and asked how they determined the price? They advised me that they use a 3rd party service that gives them the pricing. They said the 3rd party get 3 quotes for Dealers, and they use the average. I did some research and found that I could ask them exactly who the quotes were from? So I asked and they gave me the 3 Dealers and contact tel#'s.

I called the 3 Dealers to ask them about the quotes. The 1st Dealers says he remembered them asking and told them they don't do quotes like that on damaged vehicles over the phone. So they gave no quote price at all. The 2nd said they called because they had a like Lexus for sale. He said He told them they could only tell them what they discounted it Sold it for. The quote the 3rd Party and Insurance company gave me was the asking price, not the selling price. The 3rd Dealer told me he told them to bring the car and gave them only a range give or take $3000 high or low and never heard back from them.

I called the Insurance company back and told them how disingenuous they were giving me figures the 3rd party lied about as quotes. They said let us get back with you. They came back and quoted my about 40% less to buy the car back. I was happy with the low quote and bought the car. In the State I was in they had to offer the car to me 1st to Buy before they could do anything else. In that case I did own the car out right when the accident happened. I did receive the damage cost check also.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (05-14-21)
Old 05-12-21, 09:52 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I had extensive hail damage to my 2014 ESh when the hailstorm hit Denver in 2017 I think. The body shop had to cut the roof out and replace it, and replaced the hood and the trunk. The fixed the sides as well. They car sometimes makes clunking sounds when I climb over the sidewalk to the driveway. Don't know if the 'roof job' is responsible for this. Don't know if God forbid the car rolls over, the new roof will have the strength to take the weight of the car. I drive like a grandma so I dont care and cannot afford a new car, so live with it.
My point here is that repairs to severe hail damage are not trivial.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (05-14-21)