ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pre-collision warning system

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 01:50 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pre-collision warning system

I noticed there is a disable switch inside the glove box. When it is disabled a yellow warning on the instrument panel will show "PCS". Otherwise, it is active when not illuminated. Two questions please, first why would you need to disable it and second, has anyone experienced it working to avoid an accident? Thanks
Old 05-29-21, 02:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

I believe that the automatic collision avoidance braking was improved during the Generation 6 ES run. I recall reading reports that there were, during the early Generation 6 model years, situations when people were driving on curving roads, and as they approached a metal structure, the system reacted to the metal structure and caused the car to brake when it should not have braked.

I think that the likelihood of that happening was eliminated by the middle years of the Generation 6 ES run. I suspect that the switch in the glove box was there to disable the system in situations where the system was likely to cause the car to brake when it should not have done so. My 2017 ES does not even have that switch, and I'm guessing that it was eliminated when there was no longer a need for it.

During the 4 1/2 years that I've had my 2017 ES, there was one time when the auto emergency braking kicked in. I don't know whether, without it, I would have reacted fast enough to avoid a collision, but I was happy to have the system.

With the various safety and driver assist systems in the car, there are many that I could do without, including the radar cruise control and lane keep assist, but there are a couple for which I'll never again buy a car without them, and they are the auto emergency braking and the blind spot monitor.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (05-29-21)
Old 05-29-21, 03:07 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a 2014 ES/UL with PCS. The radar and other stuff was replaced a couple years ago--recall. Lesz, as I understand it, the issue was when going down a hill and if there was a metal structure at the bottom of the hill such as a man hole or metal grill as on some bridges. The car would start to brake hard and could cause a rear-end. Who knows....

That said, the PCS still alarms, but does not slow down, when I go around this one curve in town with a "<" yellow warning sign indicating a sharp turn, even though the speed limit is 40 MPH.

I've never had to disable the PCS, not sure why you'd want to. However, as an optional safety feature, I can see the need to have the button available, regardless if folks use it.

The PCS has come in handy for me, too, but granted, I take advantage of it along with DCC (Dynamic Cruise Control) for which I use all the time (wore out the on/off stalk and had to get it replaced!) It's a little more enjoyable going to work (or around town) to just turn on DCC at the speed limit--or just above--and all the cars zoom by at mach 5 and all I have to do is steer. I've learned to enjoy the drive and not fight traffic--its changed my behavior. I've played with the LTA (Lane Trace Assist) in newer ESs and it works well on interstates and road trips, but not reliable in town--darn. Heh, but admittedly, its in support of DCC not a self-driving feature.

Still looking forward when cars can better navigate. Based on what I've read/experienced/talk-to-folks, it's still a very, very, long way away. At best LTA can get smarter, but I don't see full steering around corners and navigating all sorts of residential roads with no markings, etc.
oreguyd (05-29-21)
Old 05-29-21, 03:14 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

After a shopping trip to Home Depot I was backing out of a parking space and some knucklehead decided to walk behind my moving car. The automatic braking saved him (and me) from an accident that would have surely occurred. It saved me. As Les said: "I wouldn't buy another car without it" and the rear cross traffic alert either.
oreguyd (05-29-21)
Old 05-29-21, 04:49 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Shoppers will walk behind you like they want you to hit them. Or drive past as you are backing up. It's nice having the sensors. I haven't had the brakes come on, yet. As far as the Adaptive cruise control, it does take getting used to. Before adaptive, who would use cruise control in anything above medium traffic levels? Great responses everyone.
PatrickAz (05-31-21)
Old 05-29-21, 04:49 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
After a shopping trip to Home Depot I was backing out of a parking space and some knucklehead decided to walk behind my moving car. The automatic braking saved him (and me) from an accident that would have surely occurred. It saved me. As Les said: "I wouldn't buy another car without it" and the rear cross traffic alert either.
I believe that the rear cross traffic braking is a separate feature from the (forward) emergency braking feature.

For Generation 6 ES cars, there was an available rear cross traffic alert feature, but it was just an alert, and there was no emergency braking when the car was backing up. For the Generation 7 ES, I believe that the rear cross traffic alert also includes automatic braking when the the car is backing up.
oreguyd (05-30-21)
Old 05-30-21, 11:50 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I believe that the rear cross traffic braking is a separate feature from the (forward) emergency braking feature.

For Generation 6 ES cars, there was an available rear cross traffic alert feature, but it was just an alert, and there was no emergency braking when the car was backing up. For the Generation 7 ES, I believe that the rear cross traffic alert also includes automatic braking when the the car is backing up.
yes, Gen 6 the rear cross traffic alert is only a warning. There’s no guarantee that it will save you, or them. I do believe that is explained in the manual.