ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tips on finding used ES?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 10:54 AM
Iluminati
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on finding used ES?

I know the market is not good right now if you are buying an ES350, been watching it for the last year. I'm at the point I really need a car, currently uber everywhere, and really want an ES. Aside from Autotrader or similar websites, any tips on where to find one, how to find one or best places to look? I'd prefer a 2016-2018 as it fits in my price point a little better than the 2019s right now.
Old 06-19-21, 04:06 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

As you said, worst time to be looking. I would do an expanded search and be prepared to travel or buy a 2021 for almost the same price.
Old 06-19-21, 04:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I think that the reason why you haven't gotten many replies is because, as has already been stated, current market conditions for buying a car, new or used, are quite bad, and I'm not sure that there is much that you can do that will result in getting a great or even good deal on a car.

The suggestion to expand your search to a wider geographic area is a good one. Not only would it be good to expand to a wider geographic area, but you should also include Lexus dealers, non-Lexus dealers, and private parties in your search. If you find a car that seems to be priced reasonably, you should make sure that you do a thorough check of the history of the car and get it checked out by a qualified independent mechanic. I would suspect that, with the way that this is definitely a sellers' market, there would be sellers who will be trying to pass off cars in less than great condition, both mechanically and physically, at prices much higher than they should be.

Another suggestion would be to buy an inexpensive beater for short-term use and to defer the purchase of an ES or other nicer car for several months. I'm not sure that the market will, in the next several months, return to where it had been in the past, but, as parts shortages ease, as labor shortages ease, and as delayed and pent up demand that had built up during the pandemic ease, prices of cars, both new and used should start to ease.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (06-19-21)
Old 06-19-21, 07:51 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Iluminati
I know the market is not good right now if you are buying an ES350, been watching it for the last year. I'm at the point I really need a car, currently uber everywhere, and really want an ES. Aside from Autotrader or similar websites, any tips on where to find one, how to find one or best places to look? I'd prefer a 2016-2018 as it fits in my price point a little better than the 2019s right now.
No way to do it other than what you stated. Have to be patient to match up with your year and price. Check further out and 3 times a day. Its all a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I will tell you this though, when you see what you want, you better run, and check it out, and buy it.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (06-19-21)
Old 06-19-21, 08:09 AM
Harley90
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat, I had to buy new. But.... was real happy with my purchase...very happy.
Old 06-19-21, 09:47 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Maybe call a few Lexus dealers and see if they have some inventory that's in the process of getting ready to be sold. When I was looking, I know several that were lease returns I was shown that were not yet listed for sale.

If I were in the market for say a 3-4 year old ES, I'd just spend the extra and buy a brand new one. I actually think the math works out better. Used ones are simply too close to the sticker price of a new one.
Old 06-19-21, 10:15 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Maybe call a few Lexus dealers and see if they have some inventory that's in the process of getting ready to be sold. When I was looking, I know several that were lease returns I was shown that were not yet listed for sale.

If I were in the market for say a 3-4 year old ES, I'd just spend the extra and buy a brand new one. I actually think the math works out better. Used ones are simply too close to the sticker price of a new one.
Here I agree. I was at the Lexus service the other day. There were many car in the parking lot with multiple Lease, and auction sticker on them They were all being serviced and getting ready for detail, then going for sale. The way they looked I doubt any were showing up at that time, but were there to be sold on the lot.
Old 06-20-21, 10:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I would think that most Lexus dealers would be quite low on lease returns at this point in time.

If someone leased a car 2 or 3 years ago, the residual value on the lease should have been much lower relative to the car's MSRP than would be the case with car's being leased today. Considering the prices for new cars being bought or leased right now, I would guess that many whose leases are ending now are choosing to buy those leased cars as an alternative to returning the leased cars and buying or leasing something new. And some might even be considering buying that leased car and selling it themselves to take advantage of the inflated used car market.