Center console power port

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 05:33 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Center console power port

Hey All,

I have noticed the center 12 volt port will only sometimes charge our phones (multiple devices and chargers used). Today it was not charging my wife’s phone. She went to unplug it and the charger literally burnt her. It was so hot.

Anyone else ever experience this in a 16-18 ES? Thoughts on what might be happening??

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Sloopbo11 (07-17-24)
Old 06-19-21, 08:34 AM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Hey All,

I have noticed the center 12 volt port will only sometimes charge our phones (multiple devices and chargers used). Today it was not charging my wife’s phone. She went to unplug it and the charger literally burnt her. It was so hot.

Anyone else ever experience this in a 16-18 ES? Thoughts on what might be happening??

Thanks in advance.
To be certain, you referring to the "cigarette lighter" port, just so I'm clear. I use the USB port to charge in the console, but I have used universal adapters in older pre-USB cars. They plugged into the round 12v. input. Like the one by an ash tray. The adapter itself could get hot to the touch. I have not used the 12v in my ES350, but I noticed that the USB charge is quite slow compared to other cars I've owned. For fun, if I can find the 12v adapter, I'll see how it reacts. Any electrical device that gets hot is a concern. I just dismissed it as a Dollar type store device and have felt home AC chargers that get warm, too.
Old 06-19-21, 08:57 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oreguyd
To be certain, you referring to the "cigarette lighter" port, just so I'm clear. I use the USB port to charge in the console, but I have used universal adapters in older pre-USB cars. They plugged into the round 12v. input. Like the one by an ash tray. The adapter itself could get hot to the touch. I have not used the 12v in my ES350, but I noticed that the USB charge is quite slow compared to other cars I've owned. For fun, if I can find the 12v adapter, I'll see how it reacts. Any electrical device that gets hot is a concern. I just dismissed it as a Dollar type store device and have felt home AC chargers that get warm, too.
Yes, exactly this “lighter” port which one might use for radar detectors or a tire compressor. I have tried the USB but that will only gain a couple percent on a half hour drive. It’s the slowest I’ve seen.

The devices we were using were a factory Apple cable and a quality Android one. I hear you about poor quality adapters heating up but shouldn’t be the case here.

The other interesting note is that sometimes it will charge with no issues like in other cars, other times it won’t provide any juice. I need to look if the charging icon is displaying on the phone in those later cases.

Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks much!!

I will be calling the dealer Monday and not charging in the vehicle until they can get it in.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheRas900:
oreguyd (06-19-21), Sloopbo11 (07-17-24)
Old 06-19-21, 09:53 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds more like an issue with the adapter that's being plugged in.

I have a low profile USB adapter I plug into the 12v cigarette lighter (the USB slot on the vehicle is completely useless) and it seems to work okay. I will say though, it's borderline useless. On an average car ride, maybe I increase the charge 3-4%?

I actually keep a battery bank in my car, much better in situations when I really need it.
Old 06-19-21, 10:24 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BradTank

I have a low profile USB adapter I plug into the 12v cigarette lighter (the USB slot on the vehicle is completely useless) and it seems to work okay. I will say though, it's borderline useless. On an average car ride, maybe I increase the charge 3-4%?

I actually keep a battery bank in my car, much better in situations when I really need it.
My first thought was also the adapter, not the car. However, it’s now been two adapters and two separate phones which have experienced the issue. Additionally, we have not had issues with the same devices and adapters on our other vehicle.
Sloopbo11 (07-17-24)
Old 06-19-21, 02:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Still sounds to me like its your Cigarette lighter adapter power devise you are using that's the problem. Are you using a 1A or 2.1A then charging like multiple things also? Another thing is is there alot of stuff running on the phone not shut down while charging? Like 8 apps? Try closing some apps out not using also.

I had a 2013 and used the USB all day everyday when I went some where. On my iPhone XS I never had a problem even running the GPS on the phone. I know on my GS they changed something on the USB in later years. Not sure if the later ES was changed also.
Old 06-20-21, 04:14 AM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Automobile auxiliary power outlet 12v

We recommend
higher amperage to ensure cooler power supply and optimal charge time. If you get a charger with amperage less than your original power supply, you risk overheating your charger, burning it and in many case your device will stop functioning and/or charging.

I'm not an electrician, so don't mind the copy and paste, but here's why an adapter or other device may overheat? My 2015 still charges like molasses off the USB port.and I have a primo connector. That can factor, too. Most OEM chargers are 2.4 amps. I have seen a range from 1.0 to 5.0 amps. The $ store must be the low end. Good to know our phones can take the higher amps. I had a Motorola Flip-fone about 2 decades ago and the car charger that came with the phone charged faster than the AC charger. All that was pre USB charging and non Smart capabilities, of course.
Old 06-20-21, 11:16 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oreguyd
Automobile auxiliary power outlet 12v

We recommend
higher amperage to ensure cooler power supply and optimal charge time. If you get a charger with amperage less than your original power supply, you risk overheating your charger, burning it and in many case your device will stop functioning and/or charging.

I'm not an electrician, so don't mind the copy and paste, but here's why an adapter or other device may overheat? My 2015 still charges like molasses off the USB port.and I have a primo connector. That can factor, too. Most OEM chargers are 2.4 amps. I have seen a range from 1.0 to 5.0 amps. The $ store must be the low end. Good to know our phones can take the higher amps. I had a Motorola Flip-fone about 2 decades ago and the car charger that came with the phone charged faster than the AC charger. All that was pre USB charging and non Smart capabilities, of course.
Interesting note, thanks for sharing. Not quite sure if the amperage but looks like it might be the equipment. Interesting I haven’t experienced this in other cars however. Thanks all. I will still run by our service advisor and post here if I get any other details.
oreguyd (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 12:59 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Interesting note, thanks for sharing. Not quite sure if the amperage but looks like it might be the equipment. Interesting I haven’t experienced this in other cars however. Thanks all. I will still run by our service advisor and post here if I get any other details.
You just need to get a Quality 3.1A. Most are 1A or 2.1A. Also running multiple things with incorrect A's is going to overload the adapter.
Old 07-17-24, 10:16 AM
Sloopbo11
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issues. The cigarette lighter charger in my console works when it wants to work and when it does, it becomes really hot. I even spoke with the dealer and he advised that maybe it was the charger that I’m using, so I made the changes. After trying several high performing chargers, it still does not work and still heats up. HELP

Last edited by Sloopbo11; 07-17-24 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-17-24, 11:17 AM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank

Sounds like a cheap-o 5v charger.

Get something that provides more juice to charge with
Old 07-17-24, 12:32 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 177 Posts

Lexus rates their 12V power outlets at 10 Amp, or roughly 120 VA. If you try to draw more than that you may run into a heating problem or even blow the fuse in the fusebox. Those 12V/5V adapters are generally rated for about 2.5 Amp input (at 12V) and 5V/5Amp output (25VA) so should not cause a problem with the vehicle's electric circuits...but check anyway. However, if you try to draw more than the adapter is rated for you will likely overheat the adapter. Sometimes those little, 12V/5V adapters have a built-in fuse...they are a good idea to ensure you don't overdraw the circuitry to the lighter socket. I have used one with dual USB outlet ports, each rated 5V/5Amp and have had no problems charging iPad or iPhone in a few hours (2-3 hours). I've always used the 12V port in the back side of the console (the one put there for back seat passengers) but have recently switched to using the one in the console box. Never had a problem in the 5 years I've had the car. I've even recharged camera batteries in their dedicated, 110V chargers using a 12V/120V plug-in inverter. You should first ensure that you are actually getting 12V at the port....not suggesting you aren't but it's good practice when chasing a problem to "start at the beginning". Then I'd make darn sure that the plugin is seated properly in the socket...a flaky contact in an electrical circuit will cause poor performance and heating as you describe. Make certain that the contacts are clean...maybe give them a quick wipe with some crocus cloth to remove any grease or corrosion that might have been built up. Don't try to recharge several items at the same time....if you want to charge two phones, put one on the outlet in the console box and one in the outlet at the back of the console box. Be careful not to put too much draw on any one outlet port...things like aftermarket seat heaters, in-car coolers, tire pumps, etc are generally rated to work with most cars but check their specs anyway.
Old 07-18-24, 03:02 AM
ArthurFW
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What works best for me is a small 120W inverter that plugs into the 12V cigar lighter socket. Into the inverter plug a regular 120V 30W charger and connect that to the phone with a normal charging cable. Quick charge, normal warming.
Old 09-05-24, 09:03 AM
Gregpierce
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurFW
What works best for me is a small 120W inverter that plugs into the 12V cigar lighter socket. Into the inverter plug a regular 120V 30W charger and connect that to the phone with a normal charging cable. Quick charge, normal warming.
Do I need to remove the center console to replace the 12v power outlet in the 08 lexus is250
Old 09-05-24, 10:08 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregpierce
Do I need to remove the center console to replace the 12v power outlet in the 08 lexus is250
Probably best asked in the IS Gen 2 forum.