ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES 350 hard start

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 06:00 PM
Solid770
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 350 hard start

Just bought a 2013 ES350. It didn’t do this during the test drive. After buying it and going to leaving, it started doing this. I bought it from a Chevy dealership. They can’t seem to find anything wrong. They have it documented and said they would take care of it. It doesn’t do this every time I start it. I haven’t found a condition it does it and other times it doesn’t in particular. Two electrical checks show the battery, alternator and starter are fine. It seems fuel related to me.

Any thoughts?

I don't see that my video uploaded. Here it is on youtube.

Last edited by Solid770; 07-17-21 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Video didn't upload. Added a link.
Old 07-17-21, 08:22 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid770
Just bought a 2013 ES350. It didn’t do this during the test drive. After buying it and going to leaving, it started doing this. I bought it from a Chevy dealership. They can’t seem to find anything wrong. They have it documented and said they would take care of it. It doesn’t do this every time I start it. I haven’t found a condition it does it and other times it doesn’t in particular. Two electrical checks show the battery, alternator and starter are fine. It seems fuel related to me.

Any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/y3fwDxFwmtg
Interesting, but let's hope it's fixable? If Chevy cannot fix, try the Toyota dealer or a trusted shop. Used cars can be a gamble no matter who you buy them from. Someone on this forum may have experienced the same and could elaborate their solution.
Old 07-18-21, 03:51 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

How many miles? Here are a few suggestions;

1. Complete tune up if high mileage.
2. Fuel pump may be going out. Does not matter the mileage if it has been driven low on fuel a lot.
3. Fuel Injectors clogged. A fuel Injector cleaning may solve it. Very likely.
4. Several electronic sensors can cause this. They will normally throw a code and the check engine light will come on. The fact that it is intermittent leads me away from this.

I would go to walmart and buy 2 cans of Techron fuel injector cleaner ($4.95). Go to the gas station, pour them in, fill it up with premium fuel. Drive it for 100 - 200 miles straight. See if it gets better.

As always, my mechanical advice over the internet is worth the price paid and only suggestions.

Last edited by rmak; 07-18-21 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-18-21, 06:01 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rmak
How many miles? Here are a few suggestions;

1. Complete tune up if high mileage.
2. Fuel pump may be going out. Does not matter the mileage if it has been driven low on fuel a lot.
3. Fuel Injectors clogged. A fuel Injector cleaning may solve it. Very likely.
4. Several electronic sensors can cause this. They will normally throw a code and the check engine light will come on. The fact that it is intermittent leads me away from this.

I would go to walmart and buy 2 cans of Techron fuel injector cleaner ($4.95). Go to the gas station, pour them in, fill it up with premium fuel. Drive it for 100 - 200 miles straight. See if it gets better.

As always, my mechanical advice over the internet is worth the price paid and only suggestions.

So I paid $50 for internet service so I could read this advice...is that what your advice is worth? LOL...heh. Anyway, yea, I agree...that I think it might be the fuel line is clogged a bit. My two cents.
Old 07-18-21, 06:11 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kijug
So I paid $50 for internet service so I could read this advice...is that what your advice is worth? LOL...heh. Anyway, yea, I agree...that I think it might be the fuel line is clogged a bit. My two cents.
You overpaid for my advice LOL. It could be just the fuel filter, but I am pretty sure the filter is within the fuel pump assembly inside the tank.
Old 07-18-21, 07:56 AM
Mrbigdrawz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid770

Any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/y3fwDxFwmtg

A fuel pressure gauge would be ideal in the situation. Usually when you start the car the fuel pressure climbs up instant. There’s a check ball in the fuel pump that is supposed to keep the pressure up so it’s a instant start. I’ve replace fuel pumps before when the check ball fails and it loses prime. Usually if the vehicle sits over night or long while it will be a extended crank time scenario is caused. I’ve seen leaky injectors cause a hard start also but not common as the pump check ball failure. You would have to replace the fuel pump because the check ball is part of the pump assembly. Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
mrsteve7 (07-19-21)
Old 07-18-21, 08:15 AM
Solid770
10th Gear

Hey Guys.... Thanks for the input. I actually have some BG 44K and SC2 sitting here. (A friend that works there gave it to me). I will get that dumped in with some high octane fuel and see what happens.

I truly appreciate the advice!!!
Old 07-18-21, 12:04 PM
rmak
Intermediate

BG 44 is about as good as it gets for injector cleaning. Good friend to have. Good Luck!
Solid770 (07-18-21)
Old 07-18-21, 12:20 PM
Solid770
10th Gear

I actually live about 2 miles from their plant. Wish I could just grab whatever I needed anytime. Lol.
Old 07-19-21, 09:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Sounds like a weak fuel pump. intermittent, could be worn brushes on the fuel pump. Maybe check the pressure at the rail, not sure what spec is but make sure it's at or close to spec.
Solid770 (07-20-21)
Old 07-20-21, 01:59 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I was going to say the same as above. Sounds and acts just like the well known Toyota/Lexus fuel pump problem, and how it starts before it completely fails.
Solid770 (07-20-21)
Old 08-14-21, 09:34 AM
Solid770
10th Gear

Hey Guys. Thought I would update this. And I will try to make this concise. The Lexus dealership here, took my car and ran some tests. There was one of the computers (I don't recall which) that was throwing and error code. Thinking that was it, they replaced that computer. I got it back, ran some errands, went home, and then it did it again. I took it back and they kept it all this last week running some tests. It hasn't thrown anymore error codes. So if they fix something, they feel like they would be taking a guess at it. Which I appreciate them not wasting my money. I still feel like it is fuel related but I really don't know. They suggested driving it until it gets worse and more frequent, as they didn't feel it is a problem that is going to leave me stranded somewhere. So, if you have any other insights, please share. Otherwise, I will keep driving it.
Old 07-23-23, 07:53 PM
Solid770
10th Gear

I have now had this car two years. It hasn't got any better and no one can seem to find what is going on. In fact, it has gotten slightly worse. Sometimes it takes longer to catch but it always starts. The hotter it is, the worse it is. During the winter when it cools down quickly, it doesn't do it or do it as bad. My assumption is that someday something will completely break / not work and then we will know what to fix. In the meantime, if anyone has heard of this happening to anyone else, please let me know.
Old 07-24-23, 12:54 AM
rmak
Intermediate

I am betting fuel pump. I do all of my own work and I change fuel pumps at 150k regardless. Still not sure of your mileage, but with fuel pumps they only give a few indications and your car has them. Fuel pressure is a check that will show a failed or failing pump if not intermittent. Why not just change it if you are keeping the car? Cheap insurance and will eliminate a large problem part if it still does it afterward. Good luck.
Old 07-24-23, 03:58 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

I don't think this had anything to do with the pump itself.

Try to press the power button twice without pressing the brake pedal, leave it for 2-3 seconds and the start the engine. Report back.

Last edited by ESh; 07-24-23 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: ES 350 hard start