ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 es 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 05:35 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

What condition is the interior in (especially driver seat)? Wheels look like someone used them for curb feelers. Overall not too bad for a "free" car....I'd take it.
Old 09-24-21, 06:51 PM
NBMES350
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Thanks. I found some other post. Basically stickers to protect the paint or something.

Originally Posted by Tootsall
What condition is the interior in (especially driver seat)? Wheels look like someone used them for curb feelers. Overall not too bad for a "free" car....I'd take it.
Old 09-24-21, 09:59 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

If you really find that dirt around the edges of the film objectionable (and I would), you could get a detailer to remove and replace them. They are very useful at protecting the paint. You’d want to get that rust spot and the scratches cleaned up first but the car would look almost new when done. I’d also consider getting film put on the headlights…keep them from getting scratched up. Again a good detailer could give them a buffing first to polish out and grit damage.
Old 09-27-21, 09:19 AM
NBMES350
8th Gear

They peeled off without too much effort. A little goo-gone followed up with Marine 31 one-step compound and polish. Can't tell they were there. Wish the wheels were that easy.
Old 09-29-21, 03:59 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I have a friend who is a master tech at a large lexus shop in Texas. Not too long ago I was considering getting the transmission flush on my 4 Runner which has about 90K miles on it. The opinions on whether or not you should do a complete transmission flush vary greatly with no definitive answer.. So I called my master tech buddy and asked his opinion. He told me that the dealership he works at had just stopped doing tranny flushes because of all the issues people were having with their transmissions afterwards. Think I'm going to hold off on it for now.
I change the fluid regularly on all of my vehicles. I also have a 4Runner and change the fluid (drain and fill) every 30k. I agree completely with your master tech buddy. Flushing a tranny introduces brand new fluid which has a very high detergent content. Drain and fill is the safest way as it only introduces a small amount of new fluid. Flushing a tranny can cause issues due to all of the debris that used to coat the interior surfaces is now suspended in the fluid, therefore affecting internal solenoid and valve operation. Especially a higher mileage transmission. I am often asked about flushing and my answer is always no.

I would not hesitate to do a drain and fill on the OP's vehicle, but I would drop the pan and change the filter as well.
Old 11-02-21, 10:48 AM
Chriswalsh
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Lexmart
Never do a flush. Too many variables and unknowns. I don't trust shops to keep equipment clean and no one knows what is really going on inside the transmission. Drain and fill only is benign. Only a fraction of the fluid is changed which helps refresh things a bit without risking damage. And only to relatively young transmissions. You take a risk if you do it after 150k miles and it's never been done. Every 60k miles. There is no lifetime fluid. Nonsense.
Lexus does recommend the trans life for world standard fluid is 100,000 miles. I certainly recommend doing a change if you are over that mileage. As far as a flush that’s hit or miss I reckon. Draining the fluid alone will only get out a little less than two quarts in almost any Lexus except a GX or LX. I have an IS that I bought with 170000 miles on it and definitely no maintenance. The trans fluid looked rough so I have been changing it often to get it to a better state. There isn’t a good way to flush an IS because there are no cooling lines from the transmission. I did plugs and coolant. Since my IS is a 250, it has carbon issues. I pulled off my upper and lower intake and turned the motor to close the intake valves and cleaned them one cylinder at a time with BG intake cleaner and brass brush. This car is smooth running with no misfires
Old 11-02-21, 09:49 PM
JRandy
Rookie

About the wheels - that one in the pic does look really bad. You might do well to talk to one of the independent detailers who does used cars at the dealerships. They are generally at particular dealerships on certain days of the month. Some of it looks like black paint slopped onto the spokes. I think on the really rough rash on the rims they would use several different abrasives of varying degrees starting out coarse and working down to fine. You might still be able to see it on close inspection but it wouldn't jump out at you as it does now. I know this didn't happen on your watch, but when I am turning corners or pulling out from parking lot islands I really go wide. Many years ago I damaged a wheel cover on my Camry while doing a turn and I've been very careful ever since.
Old 11-02-21, 11:32 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Lexus does recommend the trans life for world standard fluid is 100,000 miles.”

For an ES350? Please provide the source. Thank you.