ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 ES300h Self-Leveling Headlights question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-21, 06:05 PM
Dfordium
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2013 ES300h Self-Leveling Headlights question

Hi there! This is my first post here so I apologize if this already exists.
I recently purchased a 2013 ES300h with about 80k miles on it. It's an amazing car and I absolutely love it! I was reading the manual and noticed that when I start the car the yellow self leveling headlamp malfunction light briefly illuminates as all the other lights do. This leads me to believe that the car has self leveling headlights. They are the Xenon projector headlamps. Are these headlights supposed to move up and down and then back to level when the car is started and the lights are on? The warning light is not on but I haven't seen the leveling system actually do anything since I bought the car. I can't find much information in the manual other than that the system exists. I know other cars do this and others on the forum with newer ES models have said they do this. Is my system broken or is this just not something that happens on this car?
Sorry if this is a dumb question or already answered before.
Thanks!
Old 11-30-21, 06:25 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure I can speak for the 2013 but on my 2017 the self-leveling headlights were an option. I do have them and they work as advertised in your post. The only way I know to check their presence (if the window sticker is not available) is to contact Lexus with your VIN number and see if they can send you a list of the equipment installed on your particular vehicle. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a different detection method.
Old 11-30-21, 06:45 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

If you go to the top of the page there is a narrow, black bar with various topics. Hit the one labelled “Tools” and select “VIN Decoder”.
Old 11-30-21, 07:09 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 670 Likes on 500 Posts

You can read through this old thread > LINK

Spoiler - You don't have self leveling headlights.
Old 11-30-21, 04:19 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

My 14ESh does not have them. Checked last night.
Old 11-30-21, 06:35 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

I owned a 2013 ES for 3 1/2 years. It had the Xenon headlights (which were an option and the best headlights available for the 2013 model year), and I'm certain that they were not self-leveling headlights. Later in the Generation 6 ES run, there were self-leveling LED lights available.
Old 11-30-21, 10:57 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

I notice that the 2014 brochure lists HID headlamps (no mention of levelling), as a singular option but not included in any of the “Packages”. I pulled this build list for my VIN from the Lexus.com website under the Owners section: you’ll notice the Auto-levelling item near the bottom.

Ps…and of course you know that every year Lexus changes their mix of what is included in the packages and what might be available as a singular option. Even that list might be wrong! I’ve never seen any evidence of “self-levelling” but I’ve never loaded the trunk at night. 🤔

Last edited by Tootsall; 11-30-21 at 11:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (12-02-21)
Old 12-01-21, 01:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

It’s easy to tell auto levelling headlights. Start the car in a garage and you see the beam move during startup. It doesn’t just turn on, the servo motor moves the lamps.
Old 12-01-21, 11:01 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Well, apparently NOT self-levelling. Good to know...one less feature to cause maintenance issues. I didn't actually start the engine in the garage (car is always backed in so pointed at garage door)....once had a very, very close relative succumb from carbon monoxide in a closed garage so am extremely cautious...but did turn on ignition with headlights ON while observing light pattern (normally just use automatic DRL). No shift. Now I wonder why that build list from Lexus states self-levelling.
Old 12-02-21, 07:34 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Now to really add to the fun and games, I just phoned a Lexus dealer here in Alberta and with the VIN number their parts guy confirmed that it DOES have the auto-levelling headlights. He mentioned that auto-levelling wasn't in the 2014 brochure because "it wasn't seen as a big marketing feature at the time". He also said that you would not necessarily see them move unless there was a significant load in the back. Oh well, with or without it's still a great car with the expected reliability, economy, and comfort I'd expected when I bought it.

Last edited by Tootsall; 12-02-21 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 02:11 PM
Dfordium
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 703
It’s easy to tell auto levelling headlights. Start the car in a garage and you see the beam move during startup. It doesn’t just turn on, the servo motor moves the lamps.
I did this and they do not move at all when starting the vehicle. I'm pretty sure I don't have them but the indicator exists on the dash for whatever reason.
Old 12-02-21, 02:20 PM
Dfordium
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tootsall
If you go to the top of the page there is a narrow, black bar with various topics. Hit the one labelled “Tools” and select “VIN Decoder”.
This is interesting. I ran my VIN through the decoder and it says my car has the Halogen projector headlamps. But I know for a fact that it does not because A) I physically removed the cover and there is a Xenon bulb in there, and B) The bulbs always take a while to warm up fully. Very odd that the decoder lists the car as having Halogens when in reality it has the Xenon's. Maybe someone swapped the headlight assemblies? Is that even possible? I also noticed that the VIN notes that the decoder notes that my car has a rear view mirror with a compass, however there is no compass on my mirror. I definitely have the right VIN because I physically checked it multiple times and even went on carfax and all the mileage data matches up. Almost everything else matches up as well. Is it possible for the decoder to just be invalid or is there something else going on?
Here's a photo of that part of the decoder.

Old 12-02-21, 02:28 PM
Dfordium
7th Gear

Ok so I went to the official Lexus website and interestingly enough, their site says that my car does in fact have the Xenon headlights (or HID's as they call them) but makes no mention of self-leveling. I guess case closed then lol. Odd that they would have a light on the dashboard that illuminates for a feature my vehicle doesn't have.
Old 12-02-21, 02:53 PM
Dfordium
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike728
You can read through this old thread > LINK

Spoiler - You don't have self leveling headlights.
Oh well, it's all good. I figured I wouldn't have them. Either way I don't care was just curious as to the dash light being there without the system being there. Weird choice but whatever. Absolutely love the car no complaints there!
Old 12-04-21, 09:46 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Did a bit more digging (OK, a lot of digging). 1) If you have HID low beams they will be protected inside a plastic "can" that has a white cover on the back side and the electrical connector to the bulb will be "out of sight". If you have halogen then the electrical connector will be obvious. 2) if You don't have HID then you won't have auto-levelling. 3) If you have auto-levelling then there will be a 7.5A fuse in the fuse box in slot #9 above the driver's left foot area (at least on the 2014...consult your manual for your year model). 4) If you have auto-levelling then you should see the drive motor and control system on the back of the headlight fixture in between the high and low beam locations. 5) If you have auto-levelling then you'll find this little linkage on the right, rear locating arm. The linkage will connect to a small sensor up in a boxed area of the frame. I don't think my auto-levelling system is working...probably the sensor switch needs replacing (not a big deal since I never carry really heavy loads in the car). If you have LED then

HID Low beam enclosure

Taken from back of RR tire. Sensor is hidden behind that rusty, attachment on the locating arm.

Switch is that dark thing up inside the frame left of linkage.

An adjuster on the headlight. Drive motor is in top right (physically bottom, picture taken from overhead).

PS. This is what a 7 year old car looks like when it lives in an environment where a lot of road salt is used in the winter. I believe it spent most of it's life in Calgary.

Last edited by Tootsall; 12-06-21 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 ES300h Self-Leveling Headlights question