ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What have you been doing for MPG recently???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 06:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Always surprised at the lack of knowledge on the 6th Gen forum here often when topics and discussion comes up about maintaining your car running for peak performance. But then again as long as I've been around here, maybe I'm not really.

In many of the other different Model and Gen forums with the Lexus engines there has been past and even current discussion about performance vs peak performance. Lexus has built their engines for the not going to do anything owner crowd, and the those who do crowd both. Yes you can change the Oil every 10k, keep the same plugs in for 100k, not change the Transmission fluid ever till the unspecified lifetime results in you needing a Transmission, run el chepo gas, not do Intake Cleanings and/or additives, (which BTW both Toyota and Lexus have a Upper Intake Cleaning procedure they do perform in the shop). Not maintain the optimal PSI tire pressure, and the list goes on and on. Yes the car will still run, altho not as efficient and not producing peak performance.

With that out of the way, there is factual information from each example that lets you know that the lack of service will not allow your car to run at peak performance (ex. the manufacturer of the Transmission Lexus uses tells you different for service life and efficiency about the Transmission fluid changes), just one of many example.

Now so as not to give a complete training class, I'll share more complete options directly related to the thread here that provides a different story that all that see another way and, not misled that the only option is "everything" is a waste of money, so that you can be the judge of what you and your situation is, and how you want or not to maintain, and/or how long you want to keep your nice 6th Gen ES or other.

Upper Intake Cleaning - More than a few companies produce a $10 give or take can of cleaner that can be poured in th Tank, or even better sprayed in directly by anyone at home for a 10mins service and a 10min drive afterwards. The more efficient the Lexus Car ECU is allowed to perform the better performance you are going to be given in Timing advance and air/fuel Ratio delivered. Its as simple as the more efficient delivery of power - the better your performance will be and mpg. Three or more Tuning ECU tuning companies (a few here on CL), all confirm by tons of hours of Dyno and drivability and ECU detailed monitoring On Lexus Engines, and all confirm that Intake cleaning will drive your Lexus Stock ECU KCLV (stands for “KnockCorrection Learn Value.”). High KCLV = More hp and much better fuel economy.

So there you have some additional information and facts. Want to know more, just research Upper intake cleaning methods and products, and Lexus or other KCLV. Attached is a picture of the diffrence in what could be going on vs "The Snake Oil" myth. lol!

BTW: Downloading the OBD Fusion app, and getting a $25 Bluetooth plug in will allow you to monitor your KCLV “KnockCorrection Learn Value.” exact number and allow to to monitor the improvement if you so choose to, increase the value. I have a Matco Scanner I use, but recently found out from other CL member how easy it was with OBD Fusion to use to monitor this and a ton of other ECU things.
Old 12-11-21, 07:58 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

I have used a borescope and don’t see any carbon buildup on my ES, GS and RX and have not seen any carbon build up. Have also used fuel system cleaner on all 3 and measured mpg, zero difference.

These Lexus engines have port injection and is pretty immune to carbon deposits.

But will take some KCLV readings next time.

Last edited by 703; 12-11-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 07:48 AM
2018ES350
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Always surprised at the lack of knowledge on the 6th Gen forum here often when topics and discussion comes up about maintaining your car running for peak performance. But then again as long as I've been around here, maybe I'm not really.

In many of the other different Model and Gen forums with the Lexus engines there has been past and even current discussion about performance vs peak performance. Lexus has built their engines for the not going to do anything owner crowd, and the those who do crowd both. Yes you can change the Oil every 10k, keep the same plugs in for 100k, not change the Transmission fluid ever till the unspecified lifetime results in you needing a Transmission, run el chepo gas, not do Intake Cleanings and/or additives, (which BTW both Toyota and Lexus have a Upper Intake Cleaning procedure they do perform in the shop). Not maintain the optimal PSI tire pressure, and the list goes on and on. Yes the car will still run, altho not as efficient and not producing peak performance.

With that out of the way, there is factual information from each example that lets you know that the lack of service will not allow your car to run at peak performance (ex. the manufacturer of the Transmission Lexus uses tells you different for service life and efficiency about the Transmission fluid changes), just one of many example.

Now so as not to give a complete training class, I'll share more complete options directly related to the thread here that provides a different story that all that see another way and, not misled that the only option is "everything" is a waste of money, so that you can be the judge of what you and your situation is, and how you want or not to maintain, and/or how long you want to keep your nice 6th Gen ES or other.

Upper Intake Cleaning - More than a few companies produce a $10 give or take can of cleaner that can be poured in th Tank, or even better sprayed in directly by anyone at home for a 10mins service and a 10min drive afterwards. The more efficient the Lexus Car ECU is allowed to perform the better performance you are going to be given in Timing advance and air/fuel Ratio delivered. Its as simple as the more efficient delivery of power - the better your performance will be and mpg. Three or more Tuning ECU tuning companies (a few here on CL), all confirm by tons of hours of Dyno and drivability and ECU detailed monitoring On Lexus Engines, and all confirm that Intake cleaning will drive your Lexus Stock ECU KCLV (stands for “KnockCorrection Learn Value.”). High KCLV = More hp and much better fuel economy.

So there you have some additional information and facts. Want to know more, just research Upper intake cleaning methods and products, and Lexus or other KCLV. Attached is a picture of the diffrence in what could be going on vs "The Snake Oil" myth. lol!

BTW: Downloading the OBD Fusion app, and getting a $25 Bluetooth plug in will allow you to monitor your KCLV “KnockCorrection Learn Value.” exact number and allow to to monitor the improvement if you so choose to, increase the value. I have a Matco Scanner I use, but recently found out from other CL member how easy it was with OBD Fusion to use to monitor this and a ton of other ECU things.
Complete bs. At least get your info straight before posting misleading crap like this on the forum.
A quick google search found that you stole the above pics from a site that specifies that it’s a pic from a direct injection engine. News flash, our cars are port injected, and what you pictured NEVER happens, even with “el cheapo” gas (which btw, has at least the min amount of detergent).

Old 12-12-21, 09:37 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2018ES350
Complete bs. At least get your info straight before posting misleading crap like this on the forum.
A quick google search found that you stole the above pics from a site that specifies that it’s a pic from a direct injection engine. News flash, our cars are port injected, and what you pictured NEVER happens, even with “el cheapo” gas (which btw, has at least the min amount of detergent).
Seems you don't fully understand some things in detail about the newest Toyota engines. I don't want to degrade the thread so Ill take what you said without getting into a pissing contest with you, as you seemed to be kinda frustrated about my post. I edited my post to bring it down a notch.

The pics I posted were not intended to be what you thought. If you read back you may want to consider the "entire" context of my post and understand what a example means? No where did I indicate what you are saying about the pics.

In the next post I'll provide a little more info. When you have even had a look into your intake (can tell seems you have Not), let me know about comparing what myself and other have seen back from when the engine came out. You my want to join the Toyota Nation forum and MR2 Forum, as they have done more than you can imagine in seeing what that engine looks like inside the Intake and Intake ports and Valves inside of the Head.

That as about as far as I'm going to go down the road with you the wrong way, and I'll keep it Mature and in control.

Last edited by jgscott; 12-12-21 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-12-21, 10:03 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
I have used a borescope and don’t see any carbon buildup on my ES, GS and RX and have not seen any carbon build up. Have also used fuel system cleaner on all 3 and measured mpg, zero difference.

These Lexus engines have port injection and is pretty immune to carbon deposits.

But will take some KCLV readings next time.
Thanks 703. Nice to see info about actual using the Bore scope. I have too and also have remove the upper intake on both my ES350 and GS350. Actually a few time with mine and others. Now if I read correctly what you said and its in good shape with little and/or no carbon being that yours actually seemed clean, I would suspect that there would Not be a improvement in mpg on something that does not have carbon build up the 1st place, vs one that has lots of buildup, and was cleaned. Just for the record I don't think you can actually clean that much if it bad with just a pour in Tank cleaner. Maintain and deter build up maybe?

This is why I say this. So I have 3 times seen the intake valves on the Toyota 3.5 Port and Direct inject engines. One at 120k miles was really bad. The others not so bad, 35k and 70k. In all 3 situation it was removal of the Upper and lower intake Manifold. I had my ES and GS Upper Intake Flow Bench Ported. My GS at 35k looked very good. Though I did spay in cleaning frequently and had the toyota Dealer do upper intake cleaning with the machine a few times. Without going into too much here, another Cl member just went into their 3.5 motor a few months ago and report that the intake was bad. He told me that he worked on it with a cleaning process and fluids to get it cleaned.

Now this was not my 3.5 engine but on the 90k engine it was mine and I was not very happy with how it looked and knew very well that the excess carbon build up was not good. Not every Toyota P&D 3.5 engine is maintenance free from excess carbon build up due to the start up spray IMO. Somewhere I have pics of the 90k ES350 intake carbon I will try to find. Here is someone who experience what I experienced and committed a sin also posting a example of what their P&D engine Intake side looked like. The MR2 Guys have swaped and done more teardown on the 2gr-fe I think than any other community.
https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/2gr-fe...uildup.644562/

If you can post back what you have as a KCLV reading. Again, thanks for sharing what you have actually seen.
Old 12-12-21, 11:11 AM
2018ES350
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems you don't fully understand some things in detail about the newest Toyota engines. I don't want to degrade the thread so Ill take what you said without getting into a pissing contest with you, as you seemed to be kinda frustrated about my post. I edited my post to bring it down a notch.

The pics I posted were not intended to be what you thought. If you read back you may want to consider the "entire" context of my post and understand what a example means? No where did I indicate what you are saying about the pics.

In the next post I'll provide a little more info. When you have even had a look into your intake (can tell seems you have Not), let me know about comparing what myself and other have seen back from when the engine came out. You my want to join the Toyota Nation forum and MR2 Forum, as they have done more than you can imagine in seeing what that engine looks like inside the Intake and Intake ports and Valves inside of the Head.

That as about as far as I'm going to go down the road with you the wrong way, and I'll keep it Mature and in control.
Here is the part of your post that you edited out, and yes you are very much “ mistaken”. As I said before, our engines are port injected and not “port/direct” like the 7th gens (one of the reasons while I bought a 6th gen).

Next you said own engines are port injected, as unless I'm mistaken they are actually Port and Direct injected. In fact sometimes your Toyota engine is actually powering by "Direct injection" Only. Being you mentioned Googling yourself you can learn some more by doing just that. Tell your engine its BS while is giving you Direct inject fuel only as you drive it. lol!
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...rect-injection

Again, please get your facts straight before posting completely erroneous info here on the form. The crusty direct injected intake valve pics you posted would NEVER happen to our engines since the intake valves are washed by the port injected fuel. I hope that explains it clearly enough, or perhaps I talk slower next time? 🙄

Old 12-12-21, 02:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2018ES350
Here is the part of your post that you edited out, and yes you are very much “ mistaken”. As I said before, our engines are port injected and not “port/direct” like the 7th gens (one of the reasons while I bought a 6th gen).

Again, please get your facts straight before posting completely erroneous info here on the form. The crusty direct injected intake valve pics you posted would NEVER happen to our engines since the intake valves are washed by the port injected fuel. I hope that explains it clearly enough, or perhaps I talk slower next time? 🙄
This is just ridiculous, as I already said I edited. I was copy and pasting the GS 2G that I own by mistake, as I have owned both, and yep I can admit that I made a mistake in doing that and in fact said it in my post myself. Did you miss that? Surely you have never corrected anything. So lets go back to the subject - tell me where I ever said it was a pic of the ES350 motor? That's like someone showing a pic of a Wheel asking what it would like like on the Es350, then pointing out that its on a different car lol!? I can paste my exact statements for you. You won't see in my post where I said that. You took a pic example, that showed as just a comparable clean vs dirty example, and spun it to say something different then diverted to run away from the entire context of my post.

So tell me when you have inspected the 6th Gen ES350 engine internal intake port and valves? Do you have a pic of this intake that can't carbon up. Let me know when you have actually look at one? Because you say it would never happen, is exactly a never say never fact if anything. Talk to me when you pull a 70k manifold show me how its not Carboned up at all.

So back to power and efficiency, and mpg with others who have real experiecne vs those who have not.
http://blog.rr-racing.com/news/2017/...on-lexus-ecus/

Old 12-12-21, 06:25 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

Fuel system cleaners do work, some better than others. It will not do miracles, but will clean things up to a certain point. There are you tube videos that compare piston heads with before and after, it shows marginal improvement