ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tire Sensor Readout Not Showing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 11:56 PM
LexRonnie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Sensor Readout Not Showing

I see no tire pressure info on the display. All other system displays are working fine. It shows dashes for pressure and the low tire warning icon stays on. I know the pressure is ok on all tires.

It's a "13 ES300h. The manual recommends turning the power off and back on (no dice). Otherwise it says to take it to a Lexus dealer. I was hoping there might be something else to try or look at something that's fixable. Is there a module that handles the TPM that's easily replaceable?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 01-07-22, 03:28 AM
NYBrian
9th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron - I had a similar problem last year on my 2013 ES Hybrid - all dashes on the TPMS dash readout and the low tire light was on even though all tires were at normal pressure. It turned out that one of my TPS sensors had died - once it was replaced/reprogrammed (about $125 at a tire store, including the Toyota/Lexus part) everything was back to normal. FWIW the tire guy was amazed this was the first time it happened to me as apparently Toyota's TPMS sensors were not very robust for a few years and my car is at 160K miles. Good luck!
Old 01-07-22, 08:17 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Likely that the batteries in one or more of the sensors died. 8-10 years is about their lifespan. If one goes the whole system stops displaying and you might as well change them all.
Old 01-07-22, 10:36 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Try searching this forum for

Reset TPMS

there is a button under the dash to do this, but it’s hard to find. That info should also be in your owners manual.
Old 01-07-22, 10:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,289 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Likely that the batteries in one or more of the sensors died. 8-10 years is about their lifespan. If one goes the whole system stops displaying and you might as well change them all.
This is good info. I didn't know that they had such a short lifetime. Sensors in my Corvette lasted 21 years...
Old 01-07-22, 10:51 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

I guess the important thing is that if one goes, the others are likely not far behind so might as well do them all; ideally when the rubber is getting changed anyway.
Old 01-09-22, 10:11 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I guess the important thing is that if one goes, the others are likely not far behind so might as well do them all; ideally when the rubber is getting changed anyway.

This just happened to our 2013. I figured since I was having new tires installed just replace all four of them. I own a 2004 GMC and never have had to replace any of the sensors in 18 years?

​​​​​​I had Sam's club install four new sensors when replacing my tires. They charge $5 per sensor to install and $20 total to initialize them, no more --- on the dash.

https://www.shoptpms.com/Default.asp

Old 01-09-22, 10:44 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

I did a search for "TPMS battery life" and every site that came up suggested 5-10 or 5-12 years for expected battery life with an average of 7-8 years. Further, some of them suggest that when the batteries start to weaken but are still serviceable, the vehicle system may not pick up the weakened RF signal and thus, display a tire pressure problem. Cold temperatures would also affect the strength of the battery in a sensor...just like any other battery. (We've just gone through about 10 days of -20 to -30C daytime temperatures.) Stop and Go traffic will also shorten the life (not sure why but that's what the websites suggest), so if you are in a lot of "downtown commuting traffic", you should not be surprised if you seem to need to replace the sensors (or the batteries if they are not "potted" into the sensors), a bit sooner. If the sensors are on a vehicle that only gets driven occasionally and then only on longer, road trips then you will likely get toward the upper end of life expectancy on them.

Tirerack has an interesting article that explains there were/are two different pressure monitoring systems; Lexus used "direct" but as they explain, some companies used "indirect". Here's their explanation: "[size=13px]Indirect Monitoring Systems [/size][size=13px]In the interest of providing a lower cost Original Equipment system, indirect tire pressure monitoring systems were developed by vehicle manufacturers wishing to comply with the law while minimizing development time and cost. Indirect systems use the vehicle's anti-lock braking system's wheel speed sensors to compare the rotational speed of one tire to that in another position on the vehicle. If one tire is low on pressure, its circumference changes enough to roll at a slightly different number of revolutions per mile than the other three tires. Reading the same signal used to support ABS systems, the vehicle manufacturers have programmed another function into the vehicle's on-board computer to warn the driver when a single tire is running at a reduced inflation pressure compared to the others."

What this means is that although you could get a warning on low pressure, there are NO sensors mounted within the tires and so, NO batteries to be replaced! Possibly an explanation for those 15-20 year "life spans"? No idea since I don't know if those GMC products of that era had sensors or used the indirect system. Might be worth checking out though.[/size]

Last edited by Tootsall; 01-09-22 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-09-22, 10:39 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

A lot of Lexus vehicles that show the actual pressure and when you first start the car show dashes until you put in gear and drive for a minute. If when you start the car, the tire light starts flashing and keeps on flashing for a minute or 2 then turns solid = at least 1 bad sensor. If it's immediately solid when you start the car a tire is low. If you have a full size spare it probably has a sensor in it too.
Old 01-10-22, 02:55 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Use Techstream to see if it has lost comms with the receiver unit.
Old 01-11-22, 03:24 PM
Mikes01pet
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRonnie
I see no tire pressure info on the display. All other system displays are working fine. It shows dashes for pressure and the low tire warning icon stays on. I know the pressure is ok on all tires.

It's a "13 ES300h. The manual recommends turning the power off and back on (no dice). Otherwise it says to take it to a Lexus dealer. I was hoping there might be something else to try or look at something that's fixable. Is there a module that handles the TPM that's easily replaceable?

Thanks,
Ron
sensor I had the same problem thought it was the cold weather I had one sensor changed for $75 at a local garage and it's working fine