ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Android Auto Upgrade for 2015 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22 | 07:07 PM
mxblue
10th Gear

Default Android Auto Upgrade for 2015 ES350

Hey all,

Frustrated by the eye-watering $720 AUD pricetag on a maps update from Lexus Sydney, I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one of those interface boxes that I've seen around which provide Android Auto through the existing display. Initially looked at the BeatSonic unit but people's impressions on it here were not particularly spectacular. Going through posts, I ran into the Carlinkit box which provided what seemed to be near par functionality in a similar way, and while mixed reviews, generally positive and not to mention that it was a third of the price. Alas, they're not out of stock with not ETA on restocking so I kept on hunting until I came across Andream's interface box.

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...multimedia-ios
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zrg...ew?usp=sharing

The interface looks identical to the Carlinkit one, so I'm suspecting that it's the same OEM. I went ahead and ordered one to give it a try, will see how we go... They asked for the car model and photo of the console so I've sent that over.

Anyone else happen to have given this particular unit a try?
Old 01-14-22 | 03:56 AM
Jbuddah1
Driver School Candidate

I've haven't used that brand but I have a Carlink model and it works relatively well. I'm not dissatisfied. I checked Amazon and it's in stock. Just offering this just in case you want to return it. Wish I could be ore helpful.
​​​
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-14-22 | 11:00 AM
tomscot2
Driver

Originally Posted by mxblue
Hey all,

Frustrated by the eye-watering $720 AUD pricetag on a maps update from Lexus Sydney, I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one of those interface boxes that I've seen around which provide Android Auto through the existing display. Initially looked at the BeatSonic unit but people's impressions on it here were not particularly spectacular. Going through posts, I ran into the Carlinkit box which provided what seemed to be near par functionality in a similar way, and while mixed reviews, generally positive and not to mention that it was a third of the price. Alas, they're not out of stock with not ETA on restocking so I kept on hunting until I came across Andream's interface box.

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...multimedia-ios
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zrg...ew?usp=sharing

The interface looks identical to the Carlinkit one, so I'm suspecting that it's the same OEM. I went ahead and ordered one to give it a try, will see how we go... They asked for the car model and photo of the console so I've sent that over.

Anyone else happen to have given this particular unit a try?
I'v ordered one from Amazon. It is on its way from China via DHL. I'll report back on my experience getting it installed.

Last edited by tomscot2; 01-14-22 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 01-14-22 | 11:28 AM
Jbuddah1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomscot2
I'v ordered one from Amazon. It is on its way from China via DHL. I'll report back on my experience getting it installed.
Awesome! One thing to note. I'm not sure which type of mouse you have but in order to get the correct response from the box, you have to go into the setting and set it to match. I think the default on mine was touchpad but i have a joystick. Once I made that setting change, it was much more tolerable. It still takes some getting used to but once you understand how it moves, you'll be fine. As for the rest, there are a few hiccups in the operation but it works well overall. Best of luck!
Old 01-14-22 | 12:09 PM
mxblue
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jbuddah1
I've haven't used that brand but I have a Carlink model and it works relatively well. I'm not dissatisfied. I checked Amazon and it's in stock. Just offering this just in case you want to return it. Wish I could be ore helpful.
​​​ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091TGQMMF...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Alas, that doesn't seem to work for me. Not shipping to Aus I think was the issue. Thanks for trying though!

Best of luck to the both of us haha!

Originally Posted by Jbuddah1
Awesome! One thing to note. I'm not sure which type of mouse you have but in order to get the correct response from the box, you have to go into the setting and set it to match. I think the default on mine was touchpad but i have a joystick. Once I made that setting change, it was much more tolerable. It still takes some getting used to but once you understand how it moves, you'll be fine. As for the rest, there are a few hiccups in the operation but it works well overall. Best of luck!
Yep, was the one takeaway from one of the installation videos I watched. Hopefully this unit supports similar. God I truly do hate that mouse, I miss the BMW ****...
Old 01-14-22 | 12:36 PM
Lead Lap

I just got mine updated from Lexus last week. This is the latest Australia & NZ map for the 2016 SD Card Navigation.

The map also contained newer version of the navigation software. Looks a bit different.

Last edited by 703; 01-14-22 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-14-22 | 01:51 PM
mxblue
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 703
I just got mine updated from Lexus last week. This is the latest Australia & NZ map for the 2016 SD Card Navigation.

The map also contained newer version of the navigation software. Looks a bit different.
Interesting. Did it run you $720 or so? Do you still get speed camera/school zone warnings and traffic alerts?

Last edited by mxblue; 01-14-22 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-14-22 | 08:18 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mxblue
Interesting. Did it run you $720 or so? Do you still get speed camera/school zone warnings and traffic alerts?
Yep speed camera, red light camera warnings. It didn’t cost me anything as it was part of a deal. It did take a while to ship in from Japan.
Old 01-20-22 | 12:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

@tomscot2 - Did you ever find out if that was actually from Carlinkit themselves? For direct Support wise. I ordered and now have that same one too. Not installed it yet.
Old 01-20-22 | 05:49 PM
tomscot2
Driver

When I ordered mine the seller, Car Tech, asked for a photo of the back of my radio. I wasn't willing to pay my installer $160 an hour to open it up and take a picture. I guessed from other posts. Well when I took it to the installer today, I found that I guessed wrong. He was unable to install it ($320 to find out).

I am waiting for Car Tech's r response to my issue.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-23-22 | 06:54 PM
mxblue
10th Gear

When I ordered mine the seller, Car Tech, asked for a photo of the back of my radio. I wasn't willing to pay my installer $160 an hour to open it up and take a picture. I guessed from other posts. Well when I took it to the installer today, I found that I guessed wrong. He was unable to install it ($320 to find out).

I'll keep you posted.
​​​​Damn, bad luck. All the other shops only requested to take a photo of the console to show which control system (****, joystick or touch) the car uses and the model number as far as I could tell.

I hope you got a photo when the installer managed to get back there though!
Old 01-26-22 | 07:59 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'll keep you posted.
I tried to ask you a question about this before but I guess you missed it. You can call the Lexus dealer and give your vin for a model number of your radio. Then you can search for that model pics on ebay or somewhere to send them a pic of it.
Old 01-26-22 | 12:48 PM
tomscot2
Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
I tried to ask you a question about this before but I guess you missed it. You can call the Lexus dealer and give your vin for a model number of your radio. Then you can search for that model pics on ebay or somewhere to send them a pic of it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The problem is that when you enter the VIN it comes up with the model and year of the car but does not show the that are specific to the VIN. There 5-6 variations of the radio that fit the ES300h. Furthermore, once I pulled the radio, the part number does not exist in the lexus/toyota database.
Tom
Old 01-26-22 | 06:51 PM
tomscot2
Driver

Angry Beware of Carlinkit Tech Support

It is great regret that I had to return the Carlinkit unit I ordered on Amazon. Fortunately, Amazon made that painless.

I never got the device installed. I spent 4 hours in 2 sessions with a professional installer who has done a lot of Beatsonic installs. He had never seen this unit. The problem was that the instructions were incomplete and Tech support is via Whatsapp and Amazon email. They respond after 7:00 PM PST, so there is no live support. . What you are supposed to do is take photos of every connection that you make and send them to them. Then put the car back together and weai for them to respond. This might be acceptable if you are doing a DIY install and can leave the dash open overnight.

The problem that we could not solve was that the joystick and menu buttons were dead when we turned on the car. After the first two hours of the installer time we took a photo of back of the unit. We put the car back together and sent the photo via Amazon messaging.

Radio unit 2016 ES 300H with Navigation and Safety Systems, Premium Luxury

They responded after 7:00 pm PST saying that the it should work with the unit and try to do step by step install according to the instructions. And to contact Tech Support via WhatsApp with a video of the problem.

I took the car back to the installer the next day. When I got there I started trying to initiate a WhatsApp session. In the meantime the installer tried it again. The instructions specifically offer a second method of connection if you have trouble with the joystick. He tried the day before and tried it again the second. We waited a half hour for repsonse from WhatsApp, but nothing. So after 4 hours of his time we closed up the car again. He said that although did not charge for the second day he would have to charge me again @$160 an hour if the next fix was not part of original instructions.

Five hours after my initial WhatsApp message, they started responding. This time they sent new instructions that were not part of the original instructions.

New instructions. Connect the Power cable E to an unmarked connector on the back of the unit.

Not included in the original instructions.
Unfortunately, I was done spending money for something I could not trust would work. I cut my losses and started the return process. So I don't know if this fixed the problem. or not.

BTW, I did not do a DIY install because my history of doing things like this usually end up costing a lot more money or in this case, damaging the appearance of the interior.

They swore up and down that they always get stuff work if you keep sending them pictures and then a waiting a day to try out newest fix. No way to sell to Americans, that is for sure.

BTW, if you are in San Diego County, I highly recommend Dennis at DV Audio in Escondido. I was impressed with his work and his willingness to get it working regardless of time. He recommends the Beatsonic system.

Tom Scott
2016 ES 300H with Navigation, Safety systems and Luxury package.
The following users liked this post:
NachoNYC (01-06-23)
Old 01-26-22 | 08:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I remember seeing this joystick mouse and menu buttons many times in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-319-a-18.html

Quick Reply: Android Auto Upgrade for 2015 ES350